Old 08-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Question I'm Confused...Fat content?

I read this online today:

At the end of the Harvard study, researchers found that three times as many people were able to stick to a higher unsaturated-fat weight-loss diet versus the traditionally recommended low-fat diet. The dieters in the higher unsaturated-fat group were able to keep the weight off for two and a half years, had better nutritional intakes and were more satisfied because they could eat some of their favorite foods each day such as peanut butter, nuts, peanuts and healthy oils.

I have been eating at a really low fat grams per day. I think I keep it anywhere from 10-15 per day. Is that too low? I love peanut butter but I can't make myself put a spoonful of 16 grams of fat on a sandwich, I just cant make myself.

Do you guys count fat grams? If so, are you losing weight? If so, how many do you eat per day and still lose weight?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing about fat is it helps keep you full, which is the same with protein. 10-15 grams of fat per day does seem really low.

Do you count calories? How many calories are you getting? Are your protein percentages low as well? I eat limited amounts of nuts and it is really refined carbs and added sugars that I keep an eye on rather than fat grams.

Overall, it is really what works for you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I am having trouble counting calories, so I don't really know. I count things that are readily countable, like subway for lunch, and my breakfast, but when it comes time for supper, I just cook low fat/low cal things and just guess. I would guess about anywhere from 1200-1500 per day. I don't watch sugar or protein though.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It's very much a matter of opinion.

The diets they are reffering to are atkis type diets. They tend to work because they remove the hunger aspect on very low carb and they tend to be able to eat slightly higher calories as they burn fat for fuel rather then carbs. The problem is that a lot of people just can't live like that long term.

It took me a long time to convince myself to up my fat intake as I was brought up in the 80s/90s low-fat craze era. I really try and keep my saturated fat down though. Things like peanutbutter are mostly healthy oils... olive oil etc. Fats do help you keep full/satisfied longer but eatting a lot of them can lead to excess calories so you have to find a good balance.

Your intake does sound a wee bit on the low side, but its all personal preference. If you do add more in try and go for the more widely accepted nad "healthy" fats.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #5  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Fat also helps your body assimiliate and absorb the vitamins and minerals in your food. I stick to 30% fat on average and I try to keep the saturated fat to 10%. Life is about balance.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

When I last lost 120 pounds I ate very little fat and steered away even from healthy fats most of the time. While I stuck to it for a year, it got increasingly harder to stay with it. This time around, I read the "You on a Diet" book and it opened my eyes to why we need all types of food including good fats. I am more open to things like walnuts and low fat versions of things I would only consume before if it was fat-free. I find I'm much happier with the food I'm eating this time, even though it's the same number of calories. Last time I used to constantly hear my stomach growling, but I rarely hear that this time around. To me that says I'm satisfied longer and I certainly enjoy eating more.

I'd recommend the book. I'm not a fan of the diet-book-of-the-week trend as I think the diet industry is just preying on desperate people, but this is not one of those books. This one is different and will help you understand your body and it's needs and it's responses to food so clearly. I thought I knew everything about nutrition and I ended up learning so much. Regardless, you have to chose a diet you can stick with it and that satisfies you.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I also recommend the You On a Diet book. For some reason, this book really woke me up this time.

I'm on Southbeach. This diet does allow only healthy fats in moderation. I don't count my fats, but I am tracking my calories. I don't find fat-free foods to be very palatable. I like my light mayonnaise, my natural peanut butter, my sugar-free ice cream. As long as this diet works for me and I keep losing, I'm one happy camper and have no desire to give up any of my fat grams.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Oh, and not to mention that those fat-free products we think we are doing ourself a favor by buying often have added sugar and fillers that cause many of us to have crave/binge issues! Often the calorie count isn't much lower too.

This isn't the case with everything fat-free milk is great for you and without all that saturated fat, but cookies, peanutbutter and so on...

I know for one ONE of the reasons I got fat in te first place was by eatting fat free things like snackwells and low-fat icecream when I was a teen/early20s... thinking I was behaving, and all it did was cause me control issues with sugars so I ended up eatting a whole box of lucky charms or whatever.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #9  
I feel fantastic!

S/C/G: 320/ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

I try to eat a balanced diet, I've found that focusing on one thing like keeping fat extremely low or carbs extremely low leads to me going off the diet and gaining the weight back.

It seems to me there is study after study with conflicting information so I tend not to believe any of it. Tomorrow someone will come out with a new theory that is totally contradictory to something you read today. Too much or too little of any one thing can't be good, but I don't think you can go wrong with balance and moderation. I think any type of diet that limits the types of foods you eat would be hard to follow long term.
Booskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #10  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I don't really watch fat content, I eat , usually 20 grams of fat a day, and am happy with that, sometimes it is less, sometimes a little more.
I just treated myself to 1 tbs of dark chocolate Peanut butter, it was 85 calories and 6.5 grams of fat. But I ate real low today, only 200 calories at lunch and breakfast. I don't do this every day, not even every week, So far I have only had 1100 calories for the day and 20 grams of fat. Will probably add some fruit tonight, since dinner is included in this Calorie #.
I don't think fat free is good for you, after reading about higher sugar #'s, I have got to watch this, yogurt has suprised me, it has so much sugar!! Calorie counting/fat counting is hard, but I think it is a learning process, and the more you read, the more you learn!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I don't count fat grams. I read YOU on a diet too. I like it. To me natural foods in their natural state are very healthy. I don't eat more then an oz or two of nuts a day. I take flaxseed oil daily too. I use olive oil in cooking. I use toasted sesame oil sometimes as well.

Also if you want a little peanut butter, I'd suggest getting a natural & organic peanut butter (i.e. just pure nuts!! not with lecithin, or high fructose corn syrup or any fillers).
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #12  
it's always something

I've read about several studies that show that moderate fat diets are more successful long term than low fat or high fat. The goal would be around 35%, or between 30 and 40%
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The ONLY numbers I track are my calories.

Wanting to get the most volume and nutrition from those calories, I make sure I choose healthy ones. That in and of itself lends me to not overdo it on the fat content. I also make sure to get protein in every meal and fiber. Most snacks as well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

My fat percentage sticks between 20% and 30% on any given day. I rarely go over 30%. I find that when I'm lower than 20% I'm hungrier and more prone to binge. I do steer clear of trans fats or a lot of saturated fats.

I don't do fat free foods, most of them taste downright nasty to me. I do have some reduced-fat foods (sour cream, peanut butter) that don't taste any different than their full-fat counterparts. I'm all about enjoying the way my food tastes.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

I eat 10 almonds per day. I was told I could have either almonds or walnuts and I don't like walnuts. For me I look at total cals, sugar, fiber, protien, soduim, an sat fats.

Spoonful of peanut butter or a dark choclate bar good. Deep fryed tinkies and oreos bad.

Things in peanut oil or soybean oil not great but better then lard, or criso, or no name oil.

fish oils are good tho you need to watch I belive its omgea 6 as too much can be very bad.

All things can be bad for you if over done.

I like coke I'm even allowed one 12oz per day. But I nomarlly choose not to drink soda. But I found these cute 8oz cans. Just enough for a fix and better then drinking a whole 12 or 20 oz.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote