Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone else here Asian?

I'm Chinese, born in Canada and was wondering whether there were any other Asians on the board?

Speaking for myself I find it very difficult being overweight as a Chinese person. With my size and my height of 5'5 I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. I even try to avoid predominantly Asian places because I feel like such a freak show to people. Plus, Chinese people do not have mental filters to stop making comments.

I also find food tracking or food based diet solutions (e.g. Jenny Craig etc) impossible to follow because I do like to eat an Asian diet often.

Just wondering if there's other people I can commisserate with
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello! And welcome! I am not Asian, but I know we do have some Asian members. I hope some will chime in.

I'd think that you can still track calories in a program like FitDay--although you might need to buy the downloaded, PC version. It allows you to enter custom foods, so you could put in your favorite Chinese dishes. Also, websites like calorieking.com have listings for many Asian dishes--General Tso's chicken, kung pao, and so on. So you could come close if not exact.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

HI there!! I'm not asian but I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I'm sure there must be some Asians here...maybe just not in this forum. I don't know. But don't get discouraged....there is a way for you to lose weight. you just have to decide what you can live without and what plan works for you the best. Sounds to me like plain ol calorie counting is probably the best way for you to go because you can eat whatever you want, just alot less of it. And drinking lots of water is really good for you too. But anyways, I just wanted to welcome you to the boards also!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Just a plain old person, here! I read lots of stuff and it seems like I frequently see modified Asian dishes mentioned as being diet friendly, besides, I also read somewhere that in order to keep your weight off, you need to eat the things that you like to eat. If you don't, you won't stick to the plan. Well, we all like to eat things we shouldn't, but the book was refering to ethnic, or traditional family food.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Thanks ladies for the encouraging and welcoming posts
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote