Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5"5

Default self sabotage....

hey any one ever feel like they end up doing stuff to sabotage themselves? i dont know if it is a fear of what life will be like once I reach goal or what - but usually once i lose about 20 pounds i revert back to old habits and gain it back....i sometimes worry that i will be a different person once i get to my goal - i know of a few formerly "fat" girls that since they reached goal and think they are hot s#%t are a$$holes....
chickadee315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #2  
padawan

Height: 6'

Yes, when I lose a bit, I think to myself, 'oh, just a bit won't hurt...'
But, next thing you know, you've gone tooooo far!
retep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #3  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retep View Post
Yes, when I lose a bit, I think to myself, 'oh, just a bit won't hurt...'
But, next thing you know, you've gone tooooo far!
thats how I am. I have been struggling awhile now with my weight loss. Its like I will go a few days and do great and then just eat eat and eat for another few days, on and off again, and I hate it! I just want to do good like I did back in May and June.
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Guilty as charged! I will have a few good days, then binge a day, hen get back on track for awhile LOL. Life happens sometimes, and I get carried away.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #5  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I totally hear ya'. After dinner tonight I ate a handful of chocolate chips out of the freezer...for no good reason! Then I proceeded to dump the whole bag into the trash can so I couldn't do it again!
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #6  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Yes! A few years ago I started a new job that involved quite a bit of physical activity, and I lost 40-50 pounds without really trying. It took that much for clothes to feel different and people to notice... Once those things happened and I was aware I was losing, I started binging all the time and gained it back rather quickly.

So I have to fight that this time. I just go through times when I stop caring and think it's easier to just stay fat and eat what I want. I have to shoot those thoughts down, especially at night.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Same thing here. I'll lose 10 pounds, revert back, then just be stuck at the weight till the next go around. It's like I have to get used to that weight or something before I "allow" myself to lose anymore. I've recently lost about 18-20 pounds and all those old habits are showing up again. This afternoon I ate a pack of pop tarts. Wasn't hungry. Didn't actually enjoy them. Just ate. *sigh*
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #8  

I was just sitting here being depressed about my own sabotage and found this thread.

I CONSTANTLY sabotage myself by doing really well and losing a few pounds, and then deciding that it's ok to splurge a bit. Then the splurge gets totally out of control, I f*** everything up for a few days to a few weeks, then start all over and repeat.

I know I sound like a total whiner, buy WHY do I keep doing this? Why? I am ecstatic every time the scale shows that I lose a couple of pounds. I love putting on clothes that were a bit tight that now fit better.

I know I do it, I just haven't figured out why-whether I am scared of changing, scared of turning into a different person, or stuck in the mindset of "I'll never reach my goal anyway" so I let myself screw up.
Mandafay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Yeah, I have this tendency as well. >.< Currently trying to figure out WHY. Maybe it's because "fat" is a word that has been applied to me since puberty (a.k.a 9-y old *sigh*), and it's so much part of myself now that I have a hard time 'letting it go'? I don't know. Things have been a little better this summer, though. I'm not losing weight on a particular plan or something, I'm just being careful with my portions and eat junk foods once every 1-2 weeks instead of every day, so it doesn't feel like I'm on a diet, I don't have those feelings of depriving myself, and I'm less tempted to stuff myself regularly all of a sudden. It still happens, just not every three days, and I'm able to get back on my feet the day after without any problem. But what works for me may not work for someone else, so it probably doesn't help. :|
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #10  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I do this self-sabotage, too. I know I do it--I've always done it when I'm dieting. I'm still trying to figure out a way to stop myself when it happens. For now, I'm just forging forward with my diet and trying to find motivation to exercise. Next time I face the binge-monster, I'm going to have to try and battle it instead of surrendering. If I fail, I'll have to prepare to try again.

I keep telling people I know that there is SO MUCH MORE to weight loss than eating less and exercising more. It's 10% a physical battle and 90% a mental and emotional battle. So much of what we do is mental or emotional--especially with food. When I binge, I'm rarely HUNGRY...and I'm usually stressed or upset about something... I'm on a diet where I don't really get hungry...so I'm focusing on the mental battle.

We'll figure ourselves out, ladies--it may take some time and some upsetting looks at ourselves, but we will. We'll have to in order to lose the weight and keep it off forever.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #11  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

Mandafay---- girl, you are my TWIN!! I also go through the EXACT SAME series of actions!! I do well for like 3 days.....and I even SEE my stomach slimming down from the lack of crappy food----yet "to celebrate" my good choices for 3 days, I'll go and BINGE!!! ughh why do I??? especially when I'm not hungry and think I "deserve" that bad food for being good for 3 days???

I really need to figure out my stupid brain and stop it...........
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #12  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

ugh - that is all i have to say, uGh.
I am at my parents house - there is lots of great stuff to eat. Ugh.
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #13  

Turbo...

Let me know when you figure it out...shed some light on things for me!

Amanda
Mandafay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm also a terrible self sabotager.... It's all in my big fat head!

I liked this article about self image and self sabotage, hope the link gets to stay:
http://www.ironmagazine.com/article151.html
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/254/150

I totally agree with "Azure" (by the way, you are so beautiful girl!) It is absolutely 90% psychological!
Horrible self-sabbotager here as well. I think, for me, it stems from fear. I really like to blame alot of my problems on the weight. I'm afraid that if I lose all the weight and all my other problems don't magically disappear then I'll really be out of excuses and actually have to face things. blah. This is probably why I've been gaining and losing the same ten pounds for the past year.

Here's to letting go of psychological barriers!!
alliesarang is offline   Reply With Quote