PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: .

Height: .

Question Is there any free good diet info on the net?

As you might know from reading my other thread, I am very close to a diagnosis. In the meantime, I want to get started now on a good diet plan for PCOS/IR.
Finding anything on the internet regarding this is hard. I'm also getting conflicting advice..or maybe advice that I don't understand? One site says to eat lots of fibers and the other site says to limit your carbs..how are you supposed to do both?
I'm not really understanding the whole carb and sugar thing. Can I still eat pasta (please say yes..I love pasta)? I eat whole-grain pasta if that helps. Also what about sugary drinks? I'll go insane if I can't have at least one iced tea with lemon and sugar a day.
Anyone know of a good example diet or some good articles I can read on the net? Tips or advice? Anything to help me understand this in simple terms?
Thanks!
Goldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 339.5/329/180

Height: 5'7"

In terms of carbohydrates, whole grains will always be better for your health. That means 100% WHOLE GRAIN waffles, bread, cereals, crackers, brown rice, tortillas, english muffins, etc. Also, vegetables and fruits are very good for a balanced diet. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and popcorn are natural whole grains are should be enjoyed too.

In terms of foods that are high in refined carbs, not very nutritious, and usually high in calories and fat, this would be the candy, cookies, cakes, sodas, and snack foods. These treats should be enjoyed sparingly and in moderation.

As for the tea, have you ever tried Splenda to sweeten it?

Hope this helps!
NDupler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Vegetables are high in fiber, and low in carbs, so that's why you can do both. Southbeach style eating, seems to be pretty good for Insulin resistance. Lean protein, good fats (olive oil, nuts...) whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote