Height: 5'4"

Default How do you like your tuna?

You know, the canned stuff.
What are your favourite ways to eat it?
transatlanticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/183/121?

Height: 5' 4"

Mayo, pickled relish, celery, salt and pepper. Put it between toasted wheat bread.

Otherwise, a Weight Watchers version of tuna salad nicoise that I LOVE.

Basically red potatoes, green beans, and tuna in a broth/vinegar/mustard/olive oil sauce with capers on top. So much flavor.
swiminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have lots of tuna recipes! I swear, from this list, you'd think all I eat is tuna.
  • Tuna and Hummus: Mix 1 can (6 oz) or pouch tuna with 4 tbsp hummus, 1 oz roasted red pepper, and chopped cilantro. This makes two servings at about 130 calories each. Serve in a pita with veggies of your choice (I usually add sliced cucumber, tomato, and roasted eggplant).
  • Tuna and Fruit Salad: Mix 1 can (6 oz) or pouch tuna, 4 oz fruit of your choice (mango, apricots, peaches, nectarines, or berries are all good choices), 2 tbsp nonfat yogurt, 2-4 tsp dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp cumin, and 1 oz sliced green onions. This makes two servings at about 140 calories each. Serve in a pita, over half an avocado, or just eat it by itself.
  • Tuna, Avocado and Pasta Salad: Cook 4 oz of medium pasta (such as shells or rotini). Mix pasta with 2 cans (6 oz each) tuna, 5 oz avocado (about one Hass avocado), 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 2 tbsp chives. Makes 4 servings at about 270 calories each. Instead of mixing the pasta with the salad, you can stuff the salad into jumbo shells (about 8 shells).
  • Tuscan Tuna Salad: Mix 1.5 oz finely chopped fennel (about 1/4 cup), 2 oz finely chopped red onion (about 1.4 cup), 2 oz chopped roasted red pepper, 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil, 8 oz (2 pouches) drained Bumblebee Meskite Grilled Tuna, 2 tbsp capers, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and 2 tbsp dijon mustard. Makes four servings at 100 calories each. Serve on your favorite sandwich bread or in a pita. The original recipe calls for 2 tbsp olive oil instead of the vinegar and mustard. I think it came out great my way (with the vinegar and mustard), but if you want to try it with the olive oil, that adds about 60 calories per serving.
  • Tuna and Salsa: Mix 1 can or pouch tuna with 2-4 tbsp of salsa. Makes two servings at about 100 calories each. Serve open-faced on a pita. This can get a little messy, so you might want to cut the pita into four quarters to eat it. Sometimes I also add diced celery to the mixture for a little crunch.

I also really like the Bumblebee Meskite Grilled tuna in a pouch heated up by itself and topped with a little salsa or chutney. I often have this for lunch, with a side of veggies. It's pretty low calorie (the tuna is only 150 calories for the whole fillet) but with the side of veggies it's very filling. It's a great option when I need to conserve calories for dinner. I've found the flavored pouch tuna to be far superior to canned in terms of taste and texture.

And I also like a good ol' tuna casserole. Made with 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup and reduced fat cheese, it still tastes like comfort food but actually fits reasonably well into my calorie plan. I add extra veggies to make it a little more filling.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-02-2007 at 11:49 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well in the old days I used to eat it with mayo and chopped onions mixed together on a bagel with lettuce. Not anymore though.

Now I make a big salad and toss in a 3 oz. can packed in water, drained, no mayo. That's it. Lots of protein, low cal. Good stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 262.2/199.8/150

Height: 5'5

I mix in alittle mustard for spice........
KayLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I just drain my tuna, add 3 tablespoons of sugar free pickle cubes and scoop it up with a single serving of totilla chips. yum!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #7  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I make tuna salad with a tiny bit of light mayo, any kind of mustard(although the sweet and hot mustard is my favorite), onion, dill relish, diced green peppers, shredded carrots, salt and pepper. My favorite way to eat it is on those big Wasa crackers! And I only buy the tuna packed in water.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ohh we love tuna with...

mayo, black pepper, onions, celery, carrots, dried cranberries or raisins or chopped apple

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #9  
LLV

My absolute favorite way to eat canned tuna is to make tuna salad and stuff it into a big homegrown tomato.

Fresh tuna, I just bake the tuna steaks, usually with a Hawaiian marinade.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote