Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #1  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Default Worldly Chicks to spend August in Alaska

Climb aboard the Emerald Sea for a memorable cruise to the most spectacular glaciers in Prince William Sound Alaska. Your host will be a uniformed National Park Ranger, who will provide narration on your journey and point out the many spectacular sights while fielding any questions you may have.

In addition to witnessing glacier events like calving and icefalls, you'll also see breathtaking scenery, towering waterfalls and wildlife such as: eagles, harbor seals, otters and bird rookeries - all in the relaxing comfort of our Coast Guard-certified ship.

Your glacier cruise departs daily from Whittier and ventures into the calm, protected waters of Prince William Sound, where seasickness does not occur.

As the ship enters Blackstone Bay, you'll see the massive Blackstone and Beloit Glaciers looming in the distance. As we move in closer, the glaciers grow larger, until they tower 1,700 feet over our 100-foot vessel. Rather than sailing from glacier to glacier, we stop at each one, floating among the icebergs, giving you plenty of time to take in Mother Nature's glorious ice sculptures. Listen for them to groan and watch for them to crack and calve off enormous sections of ice.

Our modern Coast Guard-certified vessel is designed for your comfort with indoor heated cabins, multiple outside decks, a full service bar and clean restrooms not to mention our experienced friendly crew who will assure your comfort and safety at all times.

Delicious Alaska salmon and prime rib meal served buffet style. Guaranteed reserved table seating in a heated cabin for every guest. Large, stable vessels with multiple viewing decks and fog-free windows.

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-10-2007 at 02:11 PM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

ooooh I'm sooo excited

I love salmon and I've always wanted to see Alaska! It's a bit cooler here than the jungles of Jumani so I had to go and find my robe but I'm ok now.

Thank you Mel for setting up the new thread. You're first I believe and you did a bang up job! Picked us a lovely ship and everything.

I believe it's the land of the midnight sun now which means no or very little night time so I hope you chicks are ready to party.

Heck, since we're on a cruise ship I might even take up huff huff running with Shad, just because I can lean on the railing when I'm about to heave over and lose my breath after running 20 steps

Painter, meant to send some :hugs: your way on my last post. Obviously the CRS kicked in as I thought about it lots and it never made it's way from my brain out my fingers Been thinking about you and hoping all comes out well for you. Don't fret until you have good reason too. The pantry looks nice and neat - come do mine now, ok? I noticed the Rotel tomatoes, oil, beans and thought - yep, this is a Texas speecy, spicy lady's pantry. What incredible eyes Mel has to spot the cake sugars

And while we're passing them out, one for you too Madcat. hope things are going well for you and the family.

Just about time to head out to that happy place called a job with it's pal the ever challenging commute . Have a good day chicks, thanks for setting up the new thread Mel. Can you believe it's August ALREADY?????
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #3  

Lovely Miss Mel!

LOVE you chicks!!!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #4  
Happy September

I FEEL SO EMPOWERED WHEN EVERYTHING WORKS ON THE COMPUTER! IT'S LIKE "MAN CONQUERS MACHINE" TYPE STUFF! ;dance:

HOLLY~ GLAD YOU FOUND US SO FAST.

HAPPY~ YOU TOO...AND ON YOUR WAY TO WORK NO LESS! I FIGURED YOU AND SHAD HAD ENOUGH TO DO AND IT WAS TIME TO GET MY FEET WET. ALTHOUGH I STOLE THE PICTURES!! I HAVE YET TO LEARN THE ART OF MOVING THEM SUCKERS

OK I AM A HAPPY CAMPER NOW AND WILL NOW GO AND SPEND THE DAY WITH THE DULCOLAX GODDESS OF THE LOO!! REMIND ME TO NEVER EAT PASTA....UNLESS MAYBE IT'S THE SPINACH VARIETY!!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #5  
Smackin' into a Wall

Darlings!!! Just popping in to make myself known on the new thread. Things are going well with my sister. She finished her radiation/chemo on Monday! Yay her. And she has done very well. As for me, I've been stinkin' busy at work (with more coming) so I haven't had time to do more than just read 3FC here and there. I haven't been posting in the evenings because with the current heat wave the office is the hottest room in the apartment.

Alaska is an excellent pick! It’s been in the mid 30s (Celsius) here for the past few days and it doesn’t look as if the heat is going to break before the beginning of next week. I went out for a ride this morning hoping to beat the heat, but it was almost unbearably hot even at 7 this morning. I had to strip all my clothes off and stand in front of the fan before I could even shower. Still it was nice to be out. There is such a difference between exercising in the “real world” and exercising in the gym. Biking on the path, even swerving around the darn Canada geese and the joggers, is both much harder and much more enjoyable than another half hour on the recline bike watching morning news.

I really am going to try to make it back here and start posting as often as I can. I need to get back on track and shift some of this weight – and I can’t do it alone.

Mel~ thank for setting up this thread. And I’m glad you weren’t abandoned on the side of the road for too long

Happy~ I was inspired by the post you wrote about the Arctic swimmer. You are right. Focusing on the goals is the way to go. I know what you mean about being time crunched to get ot all done in an evening – but good for you for managing.

PW~ Good luck with your health concerns. As a friend of mine says “No need to borrow trouble for now.” Try to not worry too much.

Shad~ Hope you got that exercising in and got rid of all the nasty salt after effects.

Holly~ Hey there! Stay cool in this heat.

Hi Meadow and Carla and Ceejay! I have to get back to work though I would love to stay and chat. And hello to anyone else I missed out on!

Last edited by Madcat; 08-01-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Thanks Mel we're going to love Alaska or at least I am.

Madcat-It's hot here also. I just went outside to do some chores here at work. I'm spoiled to the a.c. So happy to hear that your sis is dong well.

Not much time for computer. I'll try to come back tonight after work.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #7  
Happy September

MADCAT~ I AM NEVER HAPPIER THAN WHEN I HEAR NEWS OF YOUR KIND LIKE TODAY! SENDING BIG HUGS FOR BOTH OF YOU AND FOR YOUR SISTER'S CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH :hUg: :hug; HOPE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO JOIN US
ON THIS ALASKAN VACATION!!

WE ARE HERE THANKS TO CEEJAY
TIME FOR ALL US WORLDLY CHICKS TO GET ON THE CRUISE TO LOSE THIS MONTH!! WE'LL SEE SIGHTS WE'VE NEVER SEEN BOTH ON THE BOAT AND IN OUR MIRRORS.
LET'S ALL GET INTO THE POSITIVE MINDSET AND VISUALIZE OURSELVES BOTH THINNER AND MORE ACTIVE. SUMMER RECIPES CAN BE EASY TO FIX AND LOW IN CARBS AND FATS. HERE ARE TWO WEBSITES THAT BOAST THAT.

RACHAEL RAY'S WEBSITE:
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/

ALFRESCO CHICKEN SAUSAGE WEBSITE:
http://alfrescoallnatural.com/
** THIS SITE HAS SOME NICE CALMING IDEAS ON THE INTRO PAGE. TAKE A MINUTE TO CLICK, READ AND RELAX.

GOOD PLACES TO FIND SOME EASY PREP MEALS. SO LET'S ALL DUST OFF THE GYM EQUIPTMENT OR GET OUR BUTTS OUTSIDE WITH OUR OWN PERSONAL CHOICES OF EXERCISE!! THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT. NEW MONTH. NEW WEEK. NEW DAY. NEW CHICKS!!! GO GIRLS GO!! LET'S US ALL GET WITH THE PROGRAM BEFORE WINTER COMES. THIS WAY WE HAVE A HEEATHY AND HAPPY OUTLOOK TO SEE US THRU THOSE COLD AND DREARY MONTHS!!
I PEDALED ALREADY FOR 30 MINUTES...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-01-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #8  

Well, I had to go all the way to Alaska to find help, but it seems I'm finally back on line. I had hooked the phone filter in at the wrong place and it was blocking the router. Whatever that means. Almost didn't get it fixed, after waiting 40 on hold minutes yesterday before giving up, buying a new splitter to replace the one I broke, and being just a teensy bit too impatient with the tech support lady when I finally got thru this afternoon. I've made a little diagram and stashed it with all the useless manuals I keep forever, just in case I get the urge to tidy up the mess of wires again... On this week's theme of electronics ****, my DVD player/recorder has gone on strike - won't eject the DVD, won't play what's in there. Decided to just buy a new DVD player, since they're not very expensive. Got it home, and find it doesn't work in tandem with a VCR, so I can't integrate it into my system. I guess it can just go back along with the pile of other stuff I bought this week that wasn't quite right. (I'd say I need a vacation, but haven't worked in a month.... )

Well, I must say Alaska is a lovely change after the heat and smells of the Jumanji jungle. (In fact the heat seems to be lingering around here for some reason. Must be a legacy of the game.) It's such a treat to look out the window and see those glorious snow-topped mountains, not to mention the moose and bison browsing on the highway... I had been thinking we should maybe go to Amsterdam, but realized it would be a bad idea, what with all the pot smoke drifting out of coffee shops and giving us the munchies. Much better in Alaska where we'll survive on lichen and pan-fried grizzly scat.

Shad, please come back to Canada and fix my DVD player! Since you're the pro, that is. Good luck getting back into the exercise and healthy eating. It'll get easier once you're properly settled into your apartment.

Mel, stranded in a mall! Good thing Willy rose to the occasion. He sounds like a very nice man, keeping you company and saving you from the siren song of the frappucino. How are the eyes doing these days? Is the caff-fiend embargo helping at all?

Oops. Someone at the door, back next time to catch up with Happy, Painter, Holly, Madcat, Ceejay, Linus and Meadow.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Carla, I would love to be back in Canada. Just find me a job! I can only survive for a limited amount of time without one. I have a tv at home that doesn't support both vhs and dvd at the same time and we have to juggle cables and redirect the cable set top box etc.etc. Just not worth having video anymore although I have to keep it because the techie set up cable through the video box and I don't know how to change that - although if I ever stayed at home long enough I'd probably find out.

Mel - lovely thread. You clever little thing you. We should have thought about the picture thing when I was there. I could have shown you easily. Mind you I might have broken the computer again!!! It's probably warmer in Alaska right now than it is here as well.

Madcat: Good to see you back. I'm involved in a challenge to lose 5lbs this month. Mel's giving up caffeine, Carla is doing something as well - umm Carla, CRAFT has set in, I can't remember what you said!! So just join in. Always better to be outside if possible when exercising. I'm sure the fresh air does something for us.

Happy - better take up running around the deck (poop deck??) with me. You won't be swimming up there, I can guarantee it. Although maybe we could give you a piggyback ride on a whale (you too can be a whale rider).

Painter - nice job on the pantry - is that cans of coca cola and other soda's I see in the rack???

Played one of the videos last night. Don't think I like that one much but I got a sort of a workout in. I think you need to have far more space for that one than I have got. Went for a run this morning. Lordy it was cool out there. By the time I got back, steam was rising off me. And I wasn't running that fast. Weight is stuck and steady, but I'll shift it some more over the weekend no doubt.
Beautiful morning here in Perth this morning - NO CLOUDS. It's a bit foggy but there is little or no wind - Yeehah. The river is flat and calm and reflective. I've never seen it like that before. Normally you can just about surf the waves - the wind has been that bad.

Anyway, I'd best go do some work. No doubt there will be another half dozen meetings to attend today. No wonder not much gets done around here.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #10  
Happy September

CARLA I AM GLAD YOU FOUND US. I WAS GOING TO SEND OUT THE ALASKAN SLED TEAM TO DRAG YOU HERE!! SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE ELECTRICAL FIASCO. I AM DEAD SURE I WILL NOT UNTANGLE MY SPAGHETTI MESS OF WIRES AND I WAS JUST THINKING I WOULD NOW GET OUT THERE AND FIND SOME JOBS FOR BOTH YOU AND SHAD. SHE MAY AS WELL FREEZE HER BUTT ALONG WITH A FRIEND!!

SHAD~ I'M NOT SURE IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A JOB IN CANADA. TOO MANY BAD INFLUENCES UP THERE ALREADY....DON'T THINK THEY NEED ANOTHER ONE!! I HAD A FEW THINGS I WANTED TO ASK YOU WHEN YOU WERE HERE BUT I FORGOT ALL OF THEM!! STAY WARM AND ENJOY THE CLOUDLESS SKY....HOPE THEY LAST!!

SO IT'S AUGUST AND TIME FOR EVALUATION. I DID HAVE A FEW FRAPPES DURING MY CHALLENGE. I CUT OUT THE SPICES AND CITRUS AND THE OFFENDING VEGGIES. I CUT BACK ON DAIRY.... ALMOST NO SOY PRODUCTS (I KEPT MY OCCASSIONAL PRO-SHAKE), AND CAFFEINE.
THE SKIN IS HEALING, SLOWLY BUT DEFINITELY HEALING. THE EYES ARE DRAGGING THEIR FEET. ONE DAY GOOD AND ONE BAD BUT THE ROSACEA REMAINS ON THE LIDS. BECAUSE OF THE COMBO OF ROSACEA, ALLERGENS, DRY EYE AND ASSORTED SENSITIVITES, WHICH INCLUDE SMELLS, LIGHT AND AIR, THIS IS GOING TO BE A TOUGH PROBLEM. I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT I JUST NEED TO BE AS MODERATE AS POSSIBLE WITH ALL THINGS AFFECTING THE EYES.
JEN IS ONLY ALLOWED TO VISIT ME AFTER SHE SHOWERS AND NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO KISS ME WITH AFTERSHAVE/PERFUME ON. IT GETS IN MY HAIR AND THEN I HAVE TO WASH IT RIGHT AWAY....THE EYES BURN AND IT'S JUST TOO PAINFUL. BUT I KNEW THIS DAY WAS COMING. MANY DRS PREDICTED IT AND I HAVE BEEN IN DENIAL EVER SINCE IT'S NOT REALLY BOIHERING ME AS IT REALLY FITS IN WITH MY HERMIT-LIKE ATTITUDE THAT I ADOPTED TO KEEP THE HEADACHES AND BURNING OF ALL SINUS CAVITIES AND EYES AT A MINIMUM. THE ONLY WAY I CAN LIVE IS ALONE. SIGH.
ONE THING THE DR POINTED OUT WAS THAT THE HOME ENVIROMENT WOULD BECOME, MORE OR LESS, STRESS FREE TO BOTH MIND AND BODY. I THINK HE'S RIGHT TOO. STRESS THAT COMES IN ON THE PHONE LEAVES WHEN I HANG UP. <----ALSO MORE OR LESS.
BUT THE BODY/EYES SEEM TO COPE BETTER THIS WAY AND NOW I JUST NEED TO STICK TO IT. ONE EXAMPLE: THERE IS A WOMAN WHO GIVES ME MAGAZINES. I HAVE TO TOSS OUT THE BAG RIGHT AWAY AND THE MAGAZINES AIR OUT NEAR A WINDOW. SHE USES PERFUME AND IT'S ON EVERYTHING! I TOLD MY M-I-L THAT WHEN SHE COMES SHE WILL HAVE TO STAY WITH JEN. SHE IS OPTING NOT TO COME OR STAY AT A HOTEL. NOT CHEAP IN MY AREA EITHER. HER CHOICE.
THIS IS FAR TOO LONG A POST!!!
HAPPY THURSDAY!!!
ARE WE STAYING ACTIVE?????

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-02-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #11  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning chicks,

Glad to see everyone made it here.

Oh Mel I had no idea that your sensititivies were so... sensitive. Hang in there, 'k? We need to set up our phone date soon before time slips away further.

We are in the midst of the hot weather now. I rushed home to get into the pool and the heat makes these "pop up" storms. I was really torn because it was only raining in spots and a dribble at that but there were occasional rumbles of thunder. Tho farther away I still didn't want to take the chance to get fried. So no swimming yesterday. I was bummed out. We'll try again today.

I was very sleepy and didn't want to get out of bed today so I'm running later than my usual late. Will try and post at lunch if I can. Take care ladies. Enjoy the view, it's lovely.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #12  

Mel, sorry that I didn't congratulate you on the good job opening the new thread. When I finally got my hi-speed back I somehow missed the whole first page of Alaska. So I ended up driving amongst wildlife alongside Mount Logan, desperately seeking. But now I've found you all, and even arrived in time for the smoked salmon midnight buffet...
Good news that the skin is doing so much better. I hope it makes living on the straight and narrow worthwhile. As for the eyes, do you think maybe they'll clear once the demo next door is over and allergy season ends? And once they're temporarily clear, clean living would make it permanent? that that does work out. I imagine the perfume problem is pretty bad living where you do. I've noticed that the only thing stinker than a young man hoping to score on the big night out are elderly ladies who've lost most of their sense of smell and just pour it on. I work for a lot of unions, and many of them have a ban on any scent at all at their meetings and functions. Of course there are one or two colleagues who don't get it - "My perfume smells very good and is very expensive, so it's an exception..."

Painter, I have a feeling you already regret posting that tidy pantry, but it will only get worse. I'm convinced that on the right I spotted a tin of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk... Hmmm. I'd bet that next time you post a shot like that you'll make sure it has nothing but tinned legumes and spices and whole wheat pasta. Maybe we should all be forced to post shots of our fridges or cupboards as punishment for picking on you.
On another note, I hope it'll be all good news when you see the doctor. At least you're keeping a close eye on your health, and noticed the change right away.

Meadow, a few years ago I decided to have patches/streaks of blond put into my mostly dark never-dyed hair. At first it didn't seem to take, so the hairdresser decided to give some of it more time. So I know what you're talking about, although mine was probably more tortoiseshell than calico, I hated it on sight, but to my surprise it was very popular with everyone else! And it grew out really well, probably took about 6 months before the last of it was cut off. I guess what I'm saying is why not leave it and see what debvelops? Unless it's truly unflattering, it can be somehow empowering to refuse to "fix" odd haircuts.

Madcat, good to hear your sister's doing so well. Is she one of those incredible people who continue to run and train right through chemo? Although with the heat and smog in TO, maybe any exercise out doors is not a good idea.

Ceejay, good news that Bud is back at last. I have a feeling we won't be hearing much from you until your four days off are up. Enjoy the rest! You've earned it.

Happy, shall we plan to meet somewhere January 1st for a polar bear swim - along with all the lunatics who tempt the heart attack gods every year? After our time swimming in those icy Alaskan lakes, we'll be all set.

Shad, if you think it's cold in Perth, you should visit us here in mid-winter and watch all the runners out in the cold. In 1999 when I trained for a marathon, the first night's clinic it was 30 below plus wind chill, and we were all shocked to find out that we were expected to go out for the planned 10 k run. I forgot I had earrings in and ended up with frostbitten earlobes that swelled up and then peeled - looked rather like tomatillos. By the next week I had proper winter running gear, and never froze anything again. Except, of course, my water bottle. Fixed that by starting out with hot water in the bottle, which I strapped on under my wind jacket. You may actually find you run a lot faster in the cold - easier to breathe, and if you dress right you should be warmed up within ten minutes of the time you set out.

Holly, which of the paint colours did you end up choosing?
You and your entire town must be relieved that that murderer has been caught. We're just not used to that sort of thing happening.

As for the challenge, it all started when I told Mel I'd quit wine and chocolate if she'd drop the frapps. Apart from a visit to my friend's cottage and 2.5 glasses at a dinner party this week, and a rather shameful episode at DQ, I've been pretty much on track. So both Mel and I have done rather well! Of course today I'm planning to head back up to the cottage, where the wine tap will be turned on again. At least this time the weather should allow us to get some good swimming in. I'll be out of touch until late Saturday or Sunday. (Unless of course the neighbour can't watch the cats - still no okay on that front, that she'll get back to me soon...)

Later gators!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #13  

Hey Happy, love the new avatar. Looks like a little soviet kitty drifted across the Bering Sea from Russia. (Please note: the management is not responsible for any errors in geography. Thank you. We will now return to our scheduled program already in progress.) My kitty is actually calle "l'horrible chat des neiges" - The horrible Snow Cat.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I'm a little depressed. Tim came to the plant yesterday at 2 p.m. and told me we were back on 8 hour shifts. Bud had to go to the emergency room with a 220/100 blood pressure.

Oh well--when I pass out with complete exhaustion h will have to let me off work for some rest. He did let me go to the doctor for thyroid med's, and go back this morning to let the nurse draw blood.

more later--Hello's to all the chicks.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #15  

Ceejay, I think you need a and a . What a bummer, right when you were sure you had a four-day weekend coming up. I hope they find someone to help you out soon!