Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Good carbs, bad carbs

I don't really know the difference! I know you're supposed to have a lot of carbs everyday for energy and whatnot, but I hear people talking about complex carbs and I'm not sure what that means. Fruit and veggies good, I know that much. But what about bread, pasta, cereal, etc? My carbs are always on the high side and I want to make sure I'm not going overboard or anything. Thanks!
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When most people talk about "good" and "bad" carbs they are talking about carbs that come from fruits, veggies and whole grains ("good") versus highly refined carbs from things like processed sugars and grains -- white bread, white rice, white pasta ("bad").

"Good" carbs are higher in fiber (which can help you stay full AND lower cholesterol), and are usually better than the 'bad' carbs at keeping blood sugar stabilized. Because they are less processed, they also contain more nutrients.

So, if you pay attention to the types of carbs, you will eat more fruits, veggies and whole grains, and fewer processed sugar (and candy) and other processed grains (for instance, brown rice become white rice when the outer layer is stripped off, removing many nutrients and fiber!!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Another thing about the "bad" carbs- they make me want MORE "bad" carbs. Once I start eating them, I crave MORE of them. With the "good" carbs, that doesn't happen.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Another thing about the "bad" carbs- they make me want MORE "bad" carbs. Once I start eating them, I crave MORE of them. With the "good" carbs, that doesn't happen.
Unfortunately, that even happens to me with "good" carbs. If I don't freeze my favorite 9-grain bread when I bring it home... it's "toast"
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
Unfortunately, that even happens to me with "good" carbs. If I don't freeze my favorite 9-grain bread when I bring it home... it's "toast"
This happens to me as well. I have to stop myself from eating grilled/oven roasted red peppers and summer squash. I love, love, love them with a bit of olive oil and garlic powder. I could eat them all day and drink milk and be a happy camper. Of course, if I have one glass of milk, I want four more. Bad carbs, bad!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #6  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

milk is a carb? I, too, am sooo clueless!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Mik has protein, carbs (mik sugar) and fat (if it's not skim milk)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #8  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBrownEyes View Post
milk is a carb? I, too, am sooo clueless!
Sadly, it is. Yet, most cheeses aren't high in carbs, thank goodness. Yogurts can also be high in carbs as well.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote