Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default While we are at it... other diets too? Money, Organization, etc....

I'm just thinking that my own lack of self discipline lately wasn't just my health/weight/lack of exercise - it's in other parts of my life. So what I've begun in discipline in health/weight loss can and should be done in other parts of my life. I am reforming from my excessive eating - cutting back on calories and increasing exercise, and it's working. Of course I'm feeling more confident, and more energetic even 12 pounds lighter.

Now I'm looking at other parts of my life. Especially money/finances. I was excessive there, over spending. When I had less I was on a strict budget, but the same time I gained physical weight I messed up my finances somewhat. It's all repairable with a "money diet" but without I could continue to spend and, worst, use credit cards.

I also need a discipline at home and work - organizing better and staying on top of things. I'm proud of the progress this past year as I managed to sort through most boxes, organized the garage and somewhat my closet. But again when I was eating more and gaining weight I became more of a slob at home, out of control messes that drove me crazy.

Just thinking that if we accomplish such achievements in our health - losing weight by setting goals and being determined, certainly it'll spill over to other parts of our lives right? Anyone else in need of other diets besides losing weight physically?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #2  
A Work In PROGRESS

S/C/G: 128/see ticker/116

Height: 5'3"

hmmm well i can see where your coming from with the 'money diet' me and my mother need to go on... my dad plays **** with us for spending so much and especialy now that we are getting extentions done to our house so we have started this 'money diet' last week..... oh great ... the week that simpsons movie came out! i will go and see it but not for a week or so

about organizing skills... i could never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER tidy up anything.. now that i have started my health and fitness diet i take my time up before i will start excersing by tidying up little things..... wierd huh? i would never ever dreamed of doing that before i started my health and fitness diet, EVER! i would just want to sit on my fat lazy butt! i guess its me becoming more active lol
FlabbyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Horsey - have you ever visited http://www.flylady.net?

She has programs for home organization, money organization, and even weight loss (she calls it "body clutter"), all in friendly and task-oriented formats. You might want to take a look! Great for getting started getting control of all the different types of clutter in your life.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I know what you mean about that money diet! DH and I started one about 6 months ago. We've stayed on track since then. I use Microsoft Money to do our finances, and I track ahead by about 4-5 months. Turns out some bills we will even pay off SOONER than we had originally thought because we have been so dedicated to our plan.

I also suggest reading "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I think he takes getting out of debt a little TOO far, but maybe it depends how deep in it you are. I took little things out of that book, but I wasn't about to sell a car to get out of debt, considering one of them is paid off and the other is really needed. Its just a good read that you may be able to get a few pointers from.

Good luck!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/182/135

Height: 5'7"

I do both FlyLady and Dave Ramsey. FlyLady has helped me get a handle on my house and clutter.

As for Dave Ramsey, I agree with modkittn that he gets a little overzealous but since we've built up a small savings account and I have actually learned how to make a budget (sticking with it is another matter lol), I feel a lot less stressed about money.

I think the important thing is these two people have systems that gets people focused on one area to achieve small wins at the beginning and motivates them to keep going.
boohgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
Just thinking that if we accomplish such achievements in our health - losing weight by setting goals and being determined, certainly it'll spill over to other parts of our lives right? Anyone else in need of other diets besides losing weight physically?
I know what you mean. I think that how you feel mentally can really spill into other aspects of your life. For example, when I feel better about myself.. I start to become more organized. I clean house, literally. I tie up lose ends from things I have put off. My car gets cleaner-- I know that sounds weird-- but I think my car is a complete reflection upon how I feel about myself (the house is the same).. if I feel good, it is clean, shiny, even smells better.. if not it is covered in dust and dirt and littered with wrapper and junk.

As I am slowly regaining my sense of self I am starting to spread out into other areas of self improvement.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

The heavier I got, the less energy I had. As I've lost weight I've regained a lot of my planning and organization ability. My house looks better, and I've gotten tasks done that I've been putting off literally for years.

Rainy
mrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #8  
How Bad do you want it?

S/C/G: 140/135.5/120

Height: 5'1"

Yep. I'm a Dave Ramsey and Flylady fan too!

cuppa
cuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #9  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I already had a budget and things like that, but the best thing I got out of Dave Ramsey is paying off the lowest bills first. Not worrying about the interest rate, but whatever bill has the least amount left on it. I really got a GREAT feeling after paying those off. Even put the "PAID" letters on the fridge Now I'm working on the bigger ones, but I will be debt free (aside from 1 car payment and my mortgage) in June of next year.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote