Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #1  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

Default Sneakers

Good morning ladies

So I hate to admit this but I haven't bought a new pair of sneakers in about 2 years. I'm looking for some suggestions. Mostly, I'm going to be running and doing excercise dvds. The pair I have now is Nike and they held up pretty nicely but I didn't think they were that great when I ran. Plus Im a big girl so I need something with lots of support.

Happy Friday!!!!

Amanda
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hey Amanda! I really love my Nike cross trainers!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

If you're going to be running, the best thing to do is go to a running store and get properly fitted. The staff will look at your old sneakers to detect the wear pattern, and watch how you move so that they can suggest the right pair. It's really important to have a good pair of sneakers for running.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Any respectable athletic store will have staff who know what they are talking about for shoes & should measure & watch your gait & ask you lots of questions about your activity. They should be more concerned about the right fit for you then the brand.

I have cross-trainers because I do so much weight lifting. They're more stable than a running shoe.

Have fun shopping!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

I like my nike air max 180s I also like new balance. As the other have said you should get fitted and tell them what you'll be doing.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #6  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I swear by Saucony sneakers when it comes to running. They fit my wide feet perfectly (Nike's and New Balance are too narrow, Addidas are usually okay), very high quality, very comfortable, and they have a good reputation in the running world. Having said that your feet may be totally different from mine and they may not work for you at all. As someone else suggested go get fitted at a specialty running store, it can make ALL the difference in the world, yes they actually make different shoes for different feet and different gaits, not all sneakers are made the same way.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I run in Asics. I agree with the others. The best thing to do is go to a reputable running store and get fitted with what is best for you.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #8  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I also run in Asics. Like everyone else said, go to a store staffed by runners and get professionally fitted. Running is a really high-impact sport and you can cause serious injury if you don't have the proper shoes.

I hate to tell ya, but you're going to need to buy 2 different pairs of shoes. Running shoes are only meant for that - running. They don't have the support for side-to-side motion that often comes with workout DVD's and they usually don't have a lot of heel support since that's not where the impact comes in running. Buy running shoes for running and cross trainers for everything else. That's what I've had to do.

Oh, and just so you don't go in unprepared: a lot of times heavier runners (like me) need more support and therefore the shoes can be more expensive. My last pair of running shoes cost me $135. Be prepared to spend more on running shoes than on regular shoes... Bottom line - listen to the people at the running store, they know what they're talking about.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for all your help I'm going to a store by me today.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #10  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Yay! Let us know how it goes
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

After years of guessing which shoes were best for me, I took the same advice. They did a quick analysis of my running/walking style and put me in the best shoes I have ever worn! While they were saccony's, I think the real benefit was that the were a particular model of the shoe line that fit me best. In the past, I viewed a Nike as any other Nike.

I'm interested in how it goes for you.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Yup - another vote for professional running store fittings...I didn't heed this advice myself when I started running, and wound up with a dead toenail from running in shoes that weren't big enough. Not to mention how much better my feet feel in general with my shoes (Mizuno Nirvanas, just love them).
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote