Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/222/145

Height: 5'4"

Default I could really use a little guidance.

Hello Everyone,

While searching the web for weight loss programs I came across Meg's before and afters - WHAT INSPIRATION!!!

I started Palates on Tuesday of last week and then joined 3FC. I love working with my trainer, am very committed and have prescheduled M/W/F sessions for the next 8 weeks. I get a great workout, break a sweat like never before, and even with the intensity of the workouts, have not injured my back knees or ankle (all a little tricky due to a car accident many years ago). But, last weekend I was in so much [muscle] pain in my upper body that I indulged in comfort food both Saturday and Sunday. By Monday the pain was subsiding and I was able to lift my arms above my head, but was afraid to even look at the scale, let alone step onto it!

Yesterday I got the news that I will not be able to receive "Slim Down" meals at my office because of enhanced post 911 security in my office building (they deliver between 11pm and 5am in NYC and do not deliver to my town). I work very long hours and was really looking forward to the structure of getting fresh and balanced meals everyday. This week I've been pretty good (no refined carbs) and I'm still tryng to figure out how to handle my meal plans going forward.

I have been making great progress with my exercise program and so, stepped on the scale today. . . I had gained 3 pounds!!!! I am so frustrated and I'm not sure how to get my arms around the process of loosing weight healthily and permanently.

I am hypothyroid (take 2g Armorthyroid / day) and have no tolerance for refined carbs. I am not a high volume eater (in fact I tend to eat less than anyone I know), but I have a real problem with refined carbs, especially sugar. Although I can be off sugar for months, if I fall off the wagon it is always a struggle to kick it again.

I am feeling so depressed today. Any suggestions?
Goldia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I really don't have much advice about the food issue...but the 3 pound weight gain could very easily and most likely fluid retention. Please don't let it upset you too much. We all go thru it. Everytime my muscles get sore from my cardio class....i put on about 2 pounds. By the time my muscles are healed and not sore, i will see that 2 pounds gone and usually an extra one with it. When your muscles are really sore like that, water gets trapped in there along with that "lactid" acid (something like that). You need that water in there to help remove the acid and repair the muscles. So don't stress. I may take awhile to start to see the scale drop but it will drop. You also want to take beginning measurements and monthly measurements. Sometimes when you don't lose numbers on the scale, you will lose numbers on the measuring tape. And measure in lots of places. I once heard fat loss described as losing it in sheets. You don't generally just lose it in like the waist or the thighs but rather from all over your body at once. So, you may not see the difference right away but it you measure in like 6 different places vs 3...see how many more inches you can see that you would lose!!!

Good luck...keep up with your training sessions and keep coming here for support, encouragement and knowledge. Remember....knowledge is power!!!! And i think their is a special section for people who have medical problems losing weight. (hope i phrased that right!!) Make sure to look around at all the different groups here. There are soooo many ways that people chose to lose weight!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #3  

Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement. I will take measurements tonight. Hope you are right about the water weight!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Limfan is right about the water. So dont wory about that. Maybee your workouts are too intense if you are in that much pain.
I am hypo too and also adicted to the simple carbs, I understand completely about falling of the wagon so to speak and how hard it is to get back on, but it's posible and you can do it. Dont be to hard on yourself when you give in to a craving, it does happen to every one. We just need to get over it and move on as quickly as posible. Good luck, it sounds like you are well on the way to a healthier life style already.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Just a thought but if you rent a box at a UPS store, they will accept packages for you. If you have one near work, that might work for you.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #6  

Puncezilla and Robin, Thank you both for your suggestions. I do think last Friday's workout may have been a little too intense for my first week. Also, I will check into the nearest UPS or Mailbox location. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again. - M.