Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #1  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Can't keep _____ in the kitchen!

So, everyday is a learning experience. Today, this was mine: I cannot keep cereal in my house. I ate way TOO much of it and for reasons other than being hungry. I feel kind of gross and guilty about it. Granted, I'm ending the day with 1850 calories. Sure, it's not GREAT, but it's not the end of the world. Yesterday, however, was. I've also found that it's a bad idea to keep chips, even baked, around. There are a couple other things that I've learned NOT to bring into my home, in fear of bingeing, such as PB and J and any kind of nut.

While it's unfortunate that it has taken this long for me to learn, I'm thankful that I have. Also, during this discovery, I've also found my "safe" foods to keep in my home: Fruit, vegetables, veggie burgers w/whole wheat bread, oatmeal, rice, any "faux" meat/soy, and even chocolate. Yes, I have control over chocolate.

My question for all of you is, Are there any foods that you KNOW you have issues with and don't buy/keep in your home? SHARE! I don't think I'm the only one who has trigger foods, so I'm curious to hear what everyone else struggles with or foods that you've made "off limits."
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have trouble with ice cream and crunchy snackies ... ya know? Crackers, dry cereal, chips, popcorn ... They're not totally off limits but I sure can't have them too handy.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Broccoli - eat it constantly

Light ice cream - I find it's better to have a treat out once in a while because I'll eat the half gallon in a few days.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ice cream is a definite no-no. I don't think it will ever, ever be in my home again. In fact I'm sure of it.

I also have a big problem with home baked goods. The packaged stuff is one thing - but the homemade goodies - forget about it. All bets are off. I simply can't be trusted.

There's lots of other things as well. Certain pastas. Fried foods. It's a pretty long list in fact.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #5  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

Height: 5'8"

Spagetti is a no no, I need to save like 2/3 of my calories for that, I will eat til it hurts and then go snack on it again! French fries are pretty bad I love those!

The big one peanut butter cookies!!! Ohhh I love to make those and eat them warm, then just warmish then later then a few days old ugh. When I think back to the times I snitched "just one more" cookie oh my!!!

And I am SURE its just genetics that cause the weight problem right?! lol
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I wish I had issues with Broccoli!

There are lots of things I can't keep around just to name a few...
-Nutella
-Sugary Cereals
-Cookies
-Dannon Black Cherry Yogurt
-Icecream
-Cheese Perogis (Some in feezer now though)
-Most Candy (Although, also some Milkyway Dark minis in freezer at moment as a control test - so far so good!)

Basically most anything sugary. sigh.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Cold cereal for me too! Can NOT keep it in the house. I am weak to anything sweet/carby like crackers. I also have a hard time with cashews and some dried fruit (cashews are just too darned good and for some reason I can't seem to resist Trader Joe's granny smith dried apple rings). I haven't bought ice cream/cookies/chips/candy for the house since July 2004 - I have no idea if I can handle those foods or not, but I don't want to find out the hard way. If I want any food like that, I have to have a small, single serving. One of my biggest weaknesses when I was heavy was returning to a package again and again for "just a little more" until it was empty.

Peanut butter is actually NOT a trigger for me, but I keep it in a different cupboard than most things and I get a little every day with breakfast. I did without it for a year and it was a very pleasant surprise that I can co-exist peacefully with peanut butter.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #8  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Frango mints, or whatever Macy's calls them these days. Other chocolate I can have, and non-chocolate candies don't tempt me at all. But not Frangos.

Of course, the MIL insists on sending us the bonus 3-flavor gift pack every year for Christmas. DH usually manages to get one of each flavor before they're gone. That's why I work out: to be fast...
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #9  
Happy New Rears!

Cashews.. they call to me from the cupboard, my hubby has to padlock the jar.
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

Chips of any sort (even "healthier" ones!) and ice cream in big containers. Ice cream in pre-packaged sizes (ie low cal ice cream sandwiches) works out ok. I bought a pint of low fat Edy's slow churned french vanilla last shopping trip and a tub of low fat cookies for my daughter, and I'm rueing it. I'm having trouble not eating some every day.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #11  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Crunchy Peanut Butter is my downfall. I have about half a jar right now. I have to keep it in a place in the pantry that's high up and not very accessible. I wish peanut butter didn't have so many calories
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #12  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream..heaven help me....I gain 5lbs just walking by the freezer section in the store....I haven't found one of them that I don't like... just say "no" is the only way for me....lol if it's here...i'm eating it!
jcogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ben & Jerrys or Godiva ice cream. (I can virtuously resist regular ice cream all day long; the high quality stuff kills me!)

Chips. Salt & vinegar in particular, but I also can't be trusted around Doritos, Sun Chips or Lays plain salt flavored chips. It's such a bummer.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Ice cream (to be honest, we actually haven't had any ice cream in the house in the past 2 years, but I think it would be a problem)

Cookies (this I know from experience).

But I have 2 other categories of food.

1) Items that I can ration out reasonably on a day to day basis but that I must have some of every day until it is gone. I discovered this about pumpkin custard (like pie without the crust).

2) Items that I don't have a problem with 99% of the time, but every now and again I can't stop eating. Cold cereal falls into this category. And, my favorite whole grain bread. At least I can freeze the bread.

I confess to having very few baked goods in the house over the past 2 years. I have a feeling most of it would be a problem and don't care to see how I'll do on that kind of "test"
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 AM   #15  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Mostly cookies and small bretzels. It's hard to stop just at one when you know there's a pack in the pantry (and here, even when cookies are put in smaller packages in their box, it's always like 4-5 of them, never 1-2 only, so I always end up thinking "well, now that package is open, maybe I can finish it").

Sometimes, cold cereals are a problem too, but it's only during periods. When those occur, I keep only All Bran's at home. I can't eat All Bran's without milk, and it's one extra step that can prevent me from eating them at 4 pm or so.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote