Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #1  
Crabalocker Fishwife

S/C/G: 323/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Want to join, but nervous.

It would be nice to go to a meeting because I'll probably need some help getting through a weight-loss journey, and I'm definitely a binge eater, emotional eater, etc. It's a really vicious cycle, and I feel so out of control. But I'm only 17 and I feel like I'd be a little out of place... and my worst fear is, what if I recognize someone there, or they recognize me? I get anxious thinking about it, but I really need help. Suggestions? (I'm going to see a therapist on August 7th to help with my depression, too.)
taliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Default hello and welcome

Hi Taliee,

Welcome to this board. Just wanted to say hi – and that I can relate to your hesitation in terms of anonymity etc. I’m new to OA recovery but have a long happy history in AA, and I used to be terrified of meeting people I knew. And it happened – met this lovely man, friend of my Dad’s and I nearly collapsed with embarrassment.

But it was the best thing ever because he gave me such a warm welcome and helped me settle into the group and told me I was very brave to be dealing with my alcohol issues. He also reminded me that we were both in the ‘rooms’ for the same reason!!

Regarding age, the meeting I go to here in Dublin has a cross-section of people ranging from approximately 18 right up to the 50’s and every age in between!
I think it’s truly wonderful that you have such deep awareness of your food issues at such a young age. I wish you every good blessing on your journey and good luck with the therapist.
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Tailee,
Welcome to this board. One thing you can do for yourself is purchase the Overeaters Anonymous Second Edition. It is filled with stories of people just like you and me and even some in their teen years. The book is very affordable and you can order online on the OA site. I am about 3/4 through it and each persons story helps me relate, to keep moving forward and never look back. Go to a meeting and get a sponsor, it is so vital.
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

I'm new too and I can't offer anything other than my best wishes. It is hard to get started. I'm struggling myself. The girls on this site are so helpful and supportive. All I can suggest is to ask questions here and pull from their experiences.

Good luck.
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Going to that first meeting is really scary for all of us. Now that I've been going for a while, I look back at how worried I was at my first meeting. I remember wondering, "What if they know that I'm fat and can't control my eating?" Well...they are there for the very same reasons!! I was so used to hiding everything that I felt and never talking about it-- I couldn't begin to understand that the people at the meeting would be talking about everything that I felt and wanted to eat over.

Meetings are safe places. I feel loved, at home, understood, and useful at OA meetings.

By the way, we have folks from 17-75 at our meetings.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #6  
HeatherMouse

S/C/G: 180\175\131

Height: 5'4

At my first meeting I was terrified. I remeber thinking the same things you did. The thing that kept me coming back was that I was so desperate for recovery from my binging and compulsive overeating. I can tell you now as much as I hated going and hated those other overeaters, I love them that much today. My life is so full of love and each day that I do what is suggested by people in the program I grow a little bit more. You are so brave and you should be so proud of yourself. Screw what other people say, you are the one that has to live with you!
heathermouse is offline   Reply With Quote