Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Question Just What do I do?

Our company partcipates in the Back to School Drive.
We donate money to buy backpacks and supplies and then stuff them.
Tomorrow is a meeting to stuff them and as a "thank you" they will provide a pizza lunch. But as if this was not enough, someone said they will bring ice-cream and belgian chocolate to celebrate.

Ok, now I live in CA and compared to OH where I lived before, I think I eat pizza 3-4 times a year if that as opposed to 20 times a year. Yet this does not change the fact of my struggle. I don't crave pizza, so if something else was served I would be just as happy. What I think I crave is the FREE lunch, i.e. something we get for nothing. I feel like I am entitled to it, and not having it is stupid. [this is besides the point that before I felt that I must eat as much as I can and perhaps save some for tomorrow so I have 2 days of free lunches....sounds really sick, but that's was me a month ago]Yet on another hand, I've lost 4lb may be more, why subbotage myself? I am so early on my journey that treats are too early to even discuss. I feel like I am a child left w/o a present if I don't eat it, stupid ha? and I do understand that it is stupid, because there are NO FREE lunches, I will have to pay for mine at minimum with no weight changes, and at maximum with a weight gain.

How do you feel about those situations.
Sometimes I find things other say, I read them and it helps me figure out how to make piece with myself. Right now I am torn.
I could just skip the event, but I want to do good, and find a solution (except I see none).
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

You know, sometimes in the beginning of the journey, it really pays to avoid these kinds of situations if at all possible. Wait until you are stronger, until you've lost some weight and have seen the incredible difference in your life that losing weight will make. Give yourself time to work on solutions to eating out/free lunches, etc. before jumping into those situations.

Just my 2 cents. . .
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Great cause and good for your company for getting involved. You definitely should go and help.

I understand the feeling of being entitled. It's what made me a star at all-you-can-eat buffets. I think it's a just say no kind of situation and hopefully the sense of doing something good for yourself will overpower the need to get your share. I hope that these kinds of choices/situations get easier as time goes on.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #4  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

This is a tough one. Do you have to go? Do you want to help stuff the backbacks? If you cannot get out of it, have you thought about asking them to have one pizza with veggies only on it? If they could, I would allow myself 1 piece only, to blend in with the festivities. Take a salad along with you to help fight the urge for more. If you cannot stop with one, then bring your own lunch to eat with the others or excuse yourself when the pizza is served. If none of that sounds appealing, I'd skip the event. They'll do it again next year. And Belgian chocolate does not taste as good as a 4 pound loss feels!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Can u eat something before you go so your not hungry? Take a large bottle of water with u and drink it or some kind of fruit to nibble on so you wont feel that you are the only one not eating?
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #6  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:20 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #7  

So the soda, I do well w/o - never crave, never miss, so don't even need a diet, water is much tastier.
[Tea and Coffee is another story, if choice is between sweetened versions and not, I will choose not to have any Tea or Coffee. I typically do allow myself 1 -8oz coffee or tea made at home, with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar]
Belgian chocolate: when I think of it, I feel like that's the last piece in the world available, i.e now or never.
Yes, I'd like to help. I will feel bad not going, especially because I could not attend other volunteer opportunities that we've had. I am thinking may be asking the ogranizer if he does lunch first, or after? If after, I could just leave early....or instead show up late. I feel like it is a cheat way out, but not having any is possible, but the rest of the day's emotions will be screwed up. Having one, I am not sure I might not stop in time.
Anyway you turn it - verdict is have none...I will let you know how I do.
May be I will think of a punishment if I don't stop, or instead a reward....though again my inner me says - people who do good deeds do not aks for a reward, hence I for not eating something bad, should not have a seprate reward instead.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It's not really a "free" lunch -- the COST to you is eating calories you don't want or don't need.

Have some soda, but bring your own lunch! That's what I've done when I feel like I need to be serious about getting and staying on track. There are times when if I had one slice, I'd either have more there, or stay off track in other ways. If you don't want any, don't have any.

Sometimes having none is easier than stopping at one -- especially if you have your own yummy food you can't wait to eat!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #9  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:20 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #10  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I'd be surprised if in CA, at least one of the pizzas wasn't veggie (if not vegan) and there wasn't a side salad to go with. Probably more like a ratio of 4 salads to 1 pizza, if the events I've attended in CA in the past year are any indication.

I'd probably go and skip out for before the pizza, if possible. Or just drink water; if anyone asks why you're not partaking, just say "no thank you, I'm not hungry" and move on. I know: easier said than done.

Be strong -- you can do it!
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I personally think that what we are entitled to is the gift of helping others (i.e. backpacks), & the gift of helping ourselves (i.e., taking care of ourselves by not putting bad fuel into the machine). Remember, there's no such thing as a "free lunch". )
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
I'd probably go and skip out for before the pizza, if possible. Or just drink water; if anyone asks why you're not partaking, just say "no thank you, I'm not hungry" and move on. I know: easier said than done.

Be strong -- you can do it!
This is perhaps another thing in my mind.... please forgive me, but I think this way[by telling it] I can confront and then change my thinking
So here I go, I tend to feel weird when someone says "no thanks"..., i.e. part of me thinks..."what they are better, or too good for the gift given, or food served" as time has progressed over the years, I've understood why people made those changes and why some of them at times wanted to actively state "no, I don't want ice-cream" back then I did not realize how hard that decision might have been for them...I thought they were showing in my face (I was usually the fattest in the room) "here we can do it!" But I think it was not in my face for them, so much as "Yes, I can do it" and I do get same way now when I am strong...so I totally get them now. But the worry of what others might think of me, is strong...
Yes as you can see I have a lot to resolve in my mind before I am fully cured....
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

It's hard not eat when the food is free. I am a student and live on a tight budget so free food is always appealing. However I've learned that I would rather keep loosing weight rather then getting free food. At my school I could probable eat free lunch at least 3 days a week. I sometimes go to the events but just bring my own lunch (for example if it is a pizza lunch) others I will eat (if its something like Jimmy Johns subs and I can get a veggie one).

I know that it is a test to go to these events but after avoiding them for awhile I learned that I was just cheating myself.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #14  

Hmm one more thing, many suggestions spoke about veggi, is that somehow less fat? To me a veggi pizza means same but w/o pepperoni or perhaps w/o sausage...but same cheese and oil is there. Not sure that will save anything, i.e. sacrafice might not be worth the trouble...at the rate of calories I'd rather eat nothing then that....
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #15  

Tell them you had pizza for dinner last night so you brought a salad today? Definitely eat before you go -- makes me a stronger person!!!

Can you go early and stuff a bunch of back packs and skip the lunch?

This is just another lesson in resolve -- what is more important -- a free lunch or your health/wellbeing? There will be many bumps along the way for your weight loss, make this one a lesson in your fortitude!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote