Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #1  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Default Are you ready?

Here's a list of questions to see if you're ready for a weight loss lifestyle change, courtesy of the Mayo Clinic (via www.stumptuous.com).

The questions seem reasonable, in theory. My concern, though, is that the answer to the second question -- do you have other distractions or stressors
in your life -- may always be "yes." Some people, especially those living paycheck to paycheck, simply lead very stressful lives; and thanks to our crappy health care system, these are often the same people who would benefit most from getting their weight under control.

Also, in practice, it's too easy to say, "not this week, I've got X going on." One or two "X's" is one thing, but one X can lead to another, and another, and another, and eventually turn into an infinite string of eXcuses. Sometimes, you've just got to stop making excuses why you "can't", and realize that you "CAN"!

Other thoughts?
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Interesting list! And very good. As someone who has reached my goal recently, I can say that my answers to all of them were Yes--the only possible exception was the one about distractions in one's life. I do have some life stress--but nothing will shake me off my food program.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Quote:
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you're ready to make the lifestyle changes necessary for permanent weight loss.

If you answered no to one or more of these questions, you may not be ready.
Uhh... I know I'm French and it's 10:30 pm after a day at work translating documents seemingly written in pidgin English, but just to make sure:

Question 2 --> So if I understand it well... If you don't have any stressor preventing you from losing weight in your life and answer "No", then it's not a complete list of "yes" and therefore you're not ready to lose weight? *scratches head*

Just checking if it's me whose brains isn't going right, or if it was a little contradictory.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd go with common sense, here. If the stresses are normal, every day stress that isn't going to change, then now's as good a time as any to start dieting. You're mother is dying of terminal cancer and has a month to live, or even less dramatically, you're moving across country in two weeks maybe postponing the official start of the diet until things calm down would be a good idea. It doesn't mean eat until you're bursting because you're stressed, but it's smart to take on ony so many new changes in your life at a time.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #5  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

>>Do you have time to keep records of your food intake and physical activity?<<

Should be "Are you willing to MAKE time to keep records of your food intake and physical activity?" At least, in my opinion. Big difference between the two!

I also agree that the stressors question is bizarre. I find that losing weight is actually helping me to keep centred amidst a whirlwind of other stress; it's one thing in my life that I can control!

Last edited by maalisse; 07-24-2007 at 05:13 PM.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I was ready to get rid of the weight. I really, really was. I can honestly say that I answered yes to all but these 2 questions:

This question:
Do you currently have distractions in your life that may prevent you from committing to your weight-loss program? You may set yourself up for failure if you're distracted by other major events in your life, such as marital problems, job stress, illness or financial worries. Give your life a chance to calm down before you start

I definitely have stress in my life. I am a married, working mother of 3 teenaged daughters - stress is what we do. If I waited for there to be no stress in my life before I tackled my weight, it would never occur. Sometimes you just need to take the plunge and make a change and learn to deal with stress. But I did decide to make weightloss a top priority in my life. It did have to be front and center. Stress and all.

And this one:
Have you resolved any eating disorders or other emotional issues that make it difficult for you to achieve a healthy weight? If you have a tendency to binge, purge, starve or overexert when you exercise, or if you're depressed or anxious, you may need professional help.

Well I definitely was a binge eater up until the day of my lifestyle change. It wasn't resolved. Although I knew that had to change in order for me to be successful at weightloss. As for emotional issues, I was molested as a child and I do think that played a role in my overeating. In fact I'm sure of it. Have I dealt with that? Who knows. I had wasted enough time trying to "solve" all my issues, believing that I couldn't lose the weight until I did. Not true. That's a fallacy. Sometimes you just need to make that change - whether you figure everything out - or not. It was time to take some action, not just sit and ponder any more.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote