Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default dogs

Now I love dogs - but I MAY KILL This one next door if it doesn't stop with its freaking yelping.

I have left a note on my neighbors door about how to stop a dog from barking - and it still barks. It barks a lot when they are not home - and I can't stand it - what can I do? I feel bad complaining to the landlord (we are in a duplex - so her door is very close to my door) - but what can I do?

B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

This is down to an obedience issue and a compulsive behavior that arises in dogs.

Dogs are very muchly so an attention seeking animal. They live for attention and praise, and when left to their own devices, they can become a nuisance or very destructive. One of the possible explanations for the animal's behavior could be that it has become so attached to a member of the family, that it pines outrageously whenever that person leaves the house.

If this is the case, then the animal is being treated cruelly, as this behavior stresses out not only the animal but possibly the owner as well, not to mention unlucky neighbours nearby! The owners probably are treating this animal as a child or spoiling it to extremes. ie, letting the dog sleep in their room/bed, having full reign of the household furniture, they might even be feeding it an unhealthy diet.

Dogs are a pack animal, they need an established leader in the house (pack) and if they dont find anyone else in the pack to be worthy, they will step all over you and take up that position.

It sounds to me as though the owners of this animal leave it at home quite often. If you are going to have a dog it should never be left alone for more than 2-3 hours unsupervised.

If need be, I would contact your local humane society or PetsMart and maybe get some leaflets on dog obedience/training for your neighbour. I would explain what the dog does when they are out, and tell them that it has gotten to a point where you just cant stand it anymore. A properly raised dog will not exhibit this behavior.

If you need anymore assistance, I'm glad to help.

Its easy to train any dog, you just need the time and patience to take care of it.

Last edited by Casandra; 05-16-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #3  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

yeah - the "note" I left in their mailbox a few weeks ago was really about how to stop spoiling your dog to get them to stop barking. It was a two page internet lesson It was either that or the citerella spray....
Thanks for your help!
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

So in our apartment "courtyard", there is this yippy dog (I hate yippy dogs) whose owners always let wander around within the confines of the courtyard. Everytime it sees so much as a plane fly overhead it loses its mind. Everytime someone walks in the vicinity (which we all have to do to come and go) it loses its mind.

After a night out and a little too much wine, my fiance and I were walking to our apt when said dog started barking away as its owners just watched. I stopped, leaned over the railing, put my finger to my mouth and said, "SHHHHHHH! You bark too much" (before Ross could pull me away before I started a fight or something).

The owners at that point tried to quiet the dog, but it's still a regular occurance.

I would try contacting the manager if it is that much of a regular occurance. I don't see how that's any different than a loud stereo. IMO, a noise complaint is a noise complaint. In fact, as I think about it, my sister had that issue not too long ago and she contaced the manager when it was just too much (the culprit was below her). The onwer was somehow able to figure out a way to make the dog stop barking all the time

Last edited by junebug41; 07-24-2007 at 05:53 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #5  
mom2cole

I would contact the owner of the duplex and if that doesn't stop it, call either animal control or the police. My MIL had 4 dogs at one time and the neighbors kept turning her in and after three times she started getting $150 tickets until she reduced her herd to 2 dogs and had them de-barked. I on the other hand use the hose on the neighbors dog when they bark too much. A nice cold shower in the middle of the night shuts them up pretty quick!!
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

Because dogs are so social, there's every chance the poor thing is very lonely and VERY bored. They're not a stupid animal by any means, and they need stimulation, just like us. Imagine being left alone in a confined room with nothing to do all day, every day! If you feel charitable, you could purchase a KONG toy or similar and some treats to stuff inside it. This provides a day long project of getting the treats out of the toy. There are even toys specifically designed for this game. It makes everyone happy cause the dog is stimulated, gets a treat at the end, and the barking can stop. I realise it's not your responsibility, but it could really be the end of the problem.
Diana the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cole View Post
I on the other hand use the hose on the neighbors dog when they bark too much. A nice cold shower in the middle of the night shuts them up pretty quick!!

That's a little harsh I would be pissed is someone ever did that to my dog. I'm sure your neighbor would take a hint if you woke them up instead.
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Yikes.. I hate dogs that bark all day long too and I'm hearing impaired. So if and when I ever complain about noise issues, its usually pretty bad. The poor dog probably is bored and needs some toys like someone above suggested. I found my dog to be destructive and annoying whenever he was bored and it took me awhile to figure out what he liked to keep him occupied. But I live in an apartment complex and if it's really that bad then make a complaint to the office. You already tried the nice way by asking the owner to try to quiet the dog.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I have to agree with Jessie - not helping the situation any this way, probably just causing the dog more stress.

When I first got our dog she had separation issues (we figure she had been abused before we had her) & would bark non stop when we were gone. Neighbours called bi-law which just made things worse for us as we were well aware of the problem & trying to find a solution.

Eventually the solution was a collar that gives a little shock when she barks (we tried the citronella one first - that just made things worse). It worked like a charm - only zapped her twice & haven't really used the collar since. Plus without the barking she was calmer - kind of like a baby crying & getting themselves more upset from the crying.

Good luck with it - hopefully you're neighbours are like us & are working hard to find a solution that works for them.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote