South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Smile Need some ideas

I've been doing SB now for about 3 weeks - under Drs orders. I've lost some weight, and I'm finding this diet so easy.... however, we're getting bored.

I need some ideas for dinners. We don't eat beef, and I don't really care for seafood, but do like shell fish - so most of our meals are based on chicken. I've tried several recipes, and they are all good, but need something different.

There's only so much chicken I can eat!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi iammare! Shrimp Scampi is yummy. Have you done the taco bake with chicken? Sometimes I get in a chicken rut, I know I have when the family starts clucking at me! There's some great vegetarian alternatives too - eggplant lasagna is one we like. Kara was experimenting with zuchinni lasagna not long ago, there's a thread on that somewhere. We love salad nicoise in the summer - it has tuna, but no reason you couldn't mix it up with what you like. Also chef salad. Hope this helps some, I know it's hard to get inspired sometimes. Have you browsed through the recipes section?
I've got the opposite problem today, I've thawed some chicken and have no idea what to do with it.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #3  

Thanks - I'm "Veggied" out too. We have a huge garden, and have been eating the beans, and squashes out of it non stop. I also usually have a salad every day - didn't today though. Couldn't even look at lettuce any more. So, I had celery and hummus then some peanuts.

I do like the taco bake... but I changed it a little - I was too lazy to turn on the oven, so I just did it on the stove top. I made a double batch and ate it for 1 week straight - lunch and dinner.

The zuc. lasagna does sound good.... maybe I'll try that... if it doesn't take so long After my chiro and PT apts, I'm usually to tired and sore to do much.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/199.5/160

Height: 5'6

I get in a rut too. Some of my favorites are:

Shrimp
Scallops
Taco salad
Chef salad
Flounder
Baked fish
Chili
Bean soups
Chicken taco bake

I have been doing better with dinners, but breakfast has been wearing me down.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

What I do is to search for recipes at google, then I adjust them to make them SB friendly...I do the same with my "old" recipes. If you get the food network, watch the shows sometime and you can also alter most recipes...except for Paula Deen's.

robjen, if breakfast is getting to you, then try saving a portion of your dinner from the night before for breakfast..I do that all the time.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #6  

Thanks for the ideas - I know what I want - but I can't have I think that's my problem right now. I really am craving a Reuben - but I haven't had bread in close to 1 month, and I'm scared to even attempt it. For me the sandwich is all about the crunch of the toasted bread... it wouldn't be the same.

Robjen - have you tried the SB bars - they are quite good, and easy enough to eat in the car ride into work
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I just thought of something that we do eat a lot of...pork chops and pork tenderloin!
I get the thin boneless ones, trim off any fat and you can cook them just about any way that you cook chicken. I've cooked them using this recipe a few times and everyone loved them.
I used herbs de province instead of herbs fines...really yummy and better with fresh pearl onions than the frozen ones..but any onion would probably work just fine.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #8  

Last night I made the BBQ Shrimp and Rice out of the Taste of Summer cookbook. It was really good.

I've also made the Pork and Peach salsa recipe from that cookbook. We eat pork tenderloin quite a bit. Tonight I have Cajun Turkey sausage and beans in the crockpot so all I need to do is fix some rice. I'll probably have it over steamed cabbage for me.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Check out the South Beach cookbooks at your local library! That way if the recipes aren't terrific for you, you haven't invested the money in purchasing a book you won't use. I found the Quick and Easy Cookbook to have many things that I loved, as a vegetarian. I posted a couple of them in the recipes section. Speaking of the recipes section, have you checked out our humungous log of recipes here on this site?

What about a vegetable omelet or frittata for dinner?

Good luck finding something!

Kara
Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #10  

Thanks again for all the yummy sounding food ideas. I've really got to get out of this rut

I've got some cook books, but my problem is that by the time I get out of Chiro, and PT, then get home, it's generally 7 or after - so I really don't even want to think about cooking. I've got to plan things out better.

Last night's dinner was a Sub for DH, and I had left over ham and steamed a head of broccoli. Tonight I'm going Indian - Channa Masala and Murgh Makhani (Spicy chick peas and Butter Chicken) with Naan and rice for DH. I can't wait!!!!!!
Closed Thread