General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 AM   #1  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Nintendo Wii or Xbox 360

We've had an Xbox game system for a quite a few years now and have amassed quite a collection of game titles. For Christmas last year, my husband decided to "upgrade" to an Xbox 360, only to find that the so-called backwards compatibility for the games only extended to some games but not others. My 8 y.o. is quite disappointed that he can no longer play some of his favorite titles on the 360, and I'm feeling like we paid a lot of money for a whole lot of nothing. The thing is, my BIL has a friend in management at a big electronics store (which shall remain nameless) and he is offering us a Nintendo Wii system which has been sold out where I live. We're thinking about selling the 360 to my nephew who had one previously and wore it out, and getting the Wii.

My question is this, for those of you who have either system, what do you like or dislike about it? I know for me, the big thing about the 360 is that it doesn't play most games from the previous system. The graphics are awesome, but I'd rather be able to play the games I already have, than to go out and buy really expensive new ones.

Anyone have a Wii? What do you like about it? Do you have any recommendations on great games?
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #2  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Hi! I have a Wii and an Xbox 360 and they are both great. I never played alot of games for the Xbox, so I don't have the backwards compatability problem.

Xbox 360- Has my favorite game of all time on it, over 200 hours of gameplay...The Elderscrolls: Oblivion..Absolutely incredible game...the only game I play on the system LOL. Good graphics on the 360, but I haven't tried alot of the games

Wii- I love this system! It's so versatile, you can find games for $30..The graphics stink if you have a HD TV like we do, but for me, gameplay has ALWAYS overruled graphics (which is why I play all the old Zelda games still ) I love WiiSports, Zelda, Mortal Kombat..and there is a new Wii Fitness game coming out in the near future! http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47886

I am sure you would enjoy both systems If I had a definitive favorite, I would tell you, but they both have positives and negatives.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/127/115

Height: 5'4"

I have both systems. The real question you have to ask is what kind of games to you prefer. If you're into shooters, amazing graphics and more mature games, you'll wanna keep the 360. However if you like fun, silly mini games aimed to the whole family, like Paper Mario, Warioware, or Cooking Mama then get the Wii. Both systems are great, and I love the Wii nunchuck control. Plus you gotta love the virtual console. If you do get the Wii, then definately get the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.
ButterflyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/177/150

Height: 5'8"

I haven't played on an XBox 360, but I have a Wii, and I love it. I love the interaction with the games and how games like Wii Sports actually get you up and moving. If I can't get to the gym, I just plug in the boxing on Wii Sports, and that's my workout. *^_^*
wurpess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #5  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

I'm and old schooler myself and I love playing the NES and Super NES. LOL!
My Nephew keeps asking me when are we going to get a Wii, as if we don't have all the othe Nintendo game consoles and the different games to go with them. We're all partial to Mario and Luigi. Love them!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #6  
so close, yet so far...

Thanks for the input everyone. My nephew who's in his 20's (an entrepreneur of sorts) has had all the most recent gaming systems: PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii, and has sold them for big $$ when they got scarce and the demand was high. My son has had a chance to try all 3 and he seems to like the Wii the best. I'm pretty sure we will be getting one, just not sure if my other nephew wants to buy the 360 yet. At least with the Wii you do get sort of physical with the games so that's a plus.

I'm an old schooler myself and would still be playing the NES if it worked.
I miss playing Contra, Super Mario Bros and the Legend of Zelda.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #7  
Mrs. Determined

Hi Melekalikimaka,
what part of Hawaii are from? I have a bil that is from Maui, he's a native, but moved here where I live in the South west years ago and married my sister.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #8  
so close, yet so far...

Hi, I am from a podunk town (not really) about 15 miles away from downtown Honolulu on the Leeward side of Oahu. Maui is one of my favorite islands to visit. Tell your BIL I said "howzit"
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I say with an 8-year-old the wii is the definite way to go. I'm gonna pick one up when I can find it for my DD. She loves playing Guitar hero and wii is suppose to be very interactive. Also, there are some games that are suppose to get you moving, as well.

The 360 is a console that's great for older people. Most of the games for the system are not recommended for younger children. The live capabilities are definitely the best.

I just picked up a PS 3 since they are phasing out the 60 gb version I figured I better get one sooner than later and take advantage of the price drop.

I'm Hawai'i girl too. I'm from Waimanalo. Man I miss home.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

What kine dat "podunk town?" lol
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #11  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I so want a Wii. I played it at a friends house and it was SO much better than a 360! People of ALL ages love the Wii and the sports is sooooo fun!
I shall be treating myself to a Wii when I get enough money (I'm a poor student you see lol!)
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #12  
Mrs. Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
Hi, I am from a podunk town (not really) about 15 miles away from downtown Honolulu on the Leeward side of Oahu. Maui is one of my favorite islands to visit. Tell your BIL I said "howzit"
I will! I'll tell him.
As a matter of fact, I went to Maui for the first time at the begining of this year. It was for a sad event, which happened to be my BIL's brother furneral.
It was a beautiful service, the immediate family and kids went on canoes in the ocean and threw his ashes in the ocean. It was very nice.
But I loved out there! I want to go back. My BIL and sista' are going there for a family reunion next year.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #13  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post

I'm an old schooler myself and would still be playing the NES if it worked.
I miss playing Contra, Super Mario Bros and the Legend of Zelda.
Then you'll love the Wii. You can buy alot of the older NES and SuperNES games for $5!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #14  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

We have a wii and I tell you, it's great.

If you have wireless internet, you can conect to the internet on your TV!! you can buy Wii points (something like $20 for 2000 points) and with the points you can BUY OLD NINTENDO games off the internet, download them to your Wii, and play them! no matter how old the game! all you need is a classic controller.
I downloaded an older Zelda game and Echo.. i loved these games. They even have the very first Mario games. They add new ones to the list all the time.
It's a lot of fun, the mini games are great to play with groups of friends and family.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #15  
so close, yet so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 View Post
I'm Hawai'i girl too. I'm from Waimanalo. Man I miss home.
I'm from Waipahu What are you doing in da mainland? Military? Dependent? There's no place like home, eh?