Old 07-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #1  

Default I'm so scared I'm going to stall

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 03:11 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

You poor thing!!! Ouchie!

I think it's wonderful that you're going to work out your upper body. That's probably the best you can do at this point. I know some people have mentioned that some gyms have a machine you can use where you sort of bicycle your arms on this thingie to get your heart rate up (that's the best I can describe it, since I've never done it myself!), but I don't know if you have access to that. Don't worry too much, though. Your calorie deficit from eating less is going to keep you losing weight, and you'll catch up when you get to start working out again in terms of your fitness level.

I sprained my knee when I had just started really getting into running, and I was pushing for my "halfway" goal of 55 pounds my birthday. I was so disappointed, but I ended up having better losses the week or two I didn't work out. I think my body needed a break anyway or something! It all works out as long as you stay committed to your plan. I know it's frustrating, though.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it was Robin who had said that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise (or something like that). And I agree with that. When I have exercised without watching food intake, I either gain or stay the same, never lose. But when I haven't exercised like I should, but I'm watching my diet, I still can lose. **** Disclaimer: It is much better to have BOTH exercise and wise food choices, along with lots of water. ****

Do what you can for now and don't lose hope! I really believe that there are always so many tests thrown at us when we are trying to lose weight or do something positive in our lives. I believe the devil is at work, trying to discourage us and make us give up. However you look at it, there are these set backs that we must work through!!

Hang tough!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #4  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Do you have a stationary bike? If you have a cast on you will have to lower the seat more than you ordinarily would, but it is still entirely possible to pedal in a cast. (Just a warning though, your cast will start to stink at around 4.5 weeks and be prepared for major stinkiness when it gets taken off. If you are in a removable boot then you don't have to worry about this dilemma, just wash the big sock often).
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Exercise is just movement - move what you can - in any way you can. Turn on the radio or CD player to some upbeat music and dance - in your chair. Wave your arms around, with or without weights. Move your legs in any way that doesn't hurt the foot....

That's the single best thing I think I learned, that exercise doesn't have to "be" anything in particular, it just has to be movement. My favorite exercise is swimming, and even though it's very available to me, it isn't instantly and always available. I found myself "waiting" until I could swim to exercise, because it was the kind of exercise I liked the most, and complaining that I "couldn't" exercise, when what I really meant was I didn't want to exercise if I couldn't do it my favorite way. I'm learning to be more open minded about ways to include movement in every day life. Even little things like figiting in you seat, or tapping your feet or bobbing to music, add up over time. I read an article that one of the biggest difference one study found between "naturally" thin people and heavier people was the amount of energy the thinnies expended during all activities, even resting. Naturally thin people are more likely to "fidget" even during inactive activities like watching tv. From it, I learned that you can exercise even sitting, by not sitting "still."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh boy. How I feel for you. First of all I hope you have a speedy and full recovery, with little or no discomfort.

It's very unfortunate and I surely understand how upset this must make you on many different levels.

But thank goodness - this is temporary. Thank goodness this is not longterm. And thank goodness - you've got a great attitude.

Yup, according to what "they" say it's 80% food and 20% exercise. Now of course exercise has loads of benefits that we don't want to give up on, 20% IS a nice amount after all, but for now, just for now, you will have to scale back a bit.

Do the very best that you can with the wonderful suggestions you've already been given. Stick to your food plan like glue, and you just may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

By the way, my daughter broke her foot about 7 weeks ago. After a few weeks she was moving around pretty well. So you never know you, there's a good chance you may too.

I wish you the best of luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:29 AM   #7  

Ouch!!!!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 AM   #8  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 03:10 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote