Old 07-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #1  
Skinny Minnie in Training

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5"

Default Children's caloric needs?

A big part of why I'm losing weight is to set a good example for my son. He's just over 2, and I want to be around to be with him for a good, long while. He's below average weight for his height (and always has been since birth), so I'm not worried about his weight (he's 45th percentile for BMI). I'm just curious if anyone knows of a place where I can calculate or look up the caloric needs of a 2-year-old.

I wonder b/c since I've been counting what goes into my mouth, I've sort of subliminally been counting what goes into his...and it's a heck of a lot more than I'm eating (I'm eating in the 1400-1700 calorie range)! I'm jealous! Today, I plugged his foods into my fitday just to calculate how many calories he ate (it was a pretty typical day for him) -- and he ate nearly 700 calories more than I did. It was all healthy stuff (I have always made sure he ate healthy even when I did NOT).

Of course, he's a million times more active than I am (I don't run everywhere I go, I don't jump up-and-down for no reason, and I don't fidget as much as he does -- Covert Bailey used to say in his PBS show that the way to lose weight was to find a 5-year-old and do everything s/he does!). But man -- 700 calories more than me -- and my BMR is 1000 calories more than his!
queenjane is offline   Reply With Quote