Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Lightbulb Supermarket scales

Are they accurate? I'm not sure... the scales at Publix are sometimes around five pounds off. I wonder why.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #2  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

I used to weigh myself all the time on Publix's scales when I lived in Fl. I have to guesses on why it would be off. One its probably not calibrated back to zero to often. And Two there are a lot of people that get on them and kids that play on them or with them that could cause it to be off.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Shane,

Are you talking about food scales or human scales?

The human scale at my Publix generally weighs 1 pound heavier than the doctor's office-type scale at the YMCA.

I think every scale gives a slightly different weight. Who knows--it may be that I drank water between the YMCA and the Publix.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I like the ones that give you the little paper readings. I stepped on one of those a couple weekends ago at a local mall. It said i was about 3 pounds more than what i weighed that morning. I figured it was pretty accurate considering i was wearing jeans and shoes and had eaten almost half a pizza that afternoon. lol. I figure i'll go back in a couple weekends from now and weigh again and see if it says i have lost weight. I'm sure it will, but sometimes i just like that little peice of paper that i can see and compare to the last little peice of paper.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #5  

LOL, human scales, Jay.

One human Publix scale was pretty accurate - it said I weighed 165, which between my clothes, accessories, and bag, was probably about right.

Another time, I had a Publix scale tell me I weighed 171, when my home scale said 163. I hadn't eaten anything, but I was obviously clothed - and I conducted an experiement (NOT done at Publix, obviously ) - my average pair of jeans plus my studded belt that I always wear and my chain wallet and pins usually weighs 3 pounds add the shirt and any headwear, and that's probably 2 more - though I was still wondering where those three more pounds after that came from. My girlfriend stepped on the same scale, which told her she was around 5 pounds more than the doc office scale does.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/130

Height: 5f 6in

cool, i just put a 5, then 10 then 25 lb iron weight on my cheap bathroom scales.... with the makes of the weights were 1 pound off on all 3 weights or scale is 1 pound off...... for once i have confidence in how close to RIGHT my scles are!
lendingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lendingheart View Post
cool, i just put a 5, then 10 then 25 lb iron weight on my cheap bathroom scales.... with the makes of the weights were 1 pound off on all 3 weights or scale is 1 pound off...... for once i have confidence in how close to RIGHT my scles are!
yup, I do that too... I'm obsessive about making sure my bathroom scale is accurate.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
yup, I do that too... I'm obsessive about making sure my bathroom scale is accurate.
You know what....i am just the opposite. If my scales are off by a pound, i don't want to know. It would just make me feel worse. So, i say, whatever shows up on the scale is right until i make it to where i think i will be happy at, then i can check the actual number.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/130

Height: 5f 6in

1 pound wont deture me... i had other scales say that mine were 10+ pounds off.... so that 1 pound made me feel happy!
lendingheart is offline   Reply With Quote