Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/165/150

Height: 5'9"

Cool Addictive Personality?

Family and close friends have often commented that I have an addictive personality. I'll get addicted to something, then replace it with another.

Example, I ran cross-country and track in highschool, so running was my addiction (100 miles a week for the record ). I was a lean 130 pounds (5'9") last year. Anyway, I graduated last year and burnt out from running. Food, specifically sugary & carbs became my addiction. My running shoes just collected dust. So I put on 35 pounds in less than a year.

I went to the doctor 3 times complaining of fatigue- each time he referred me to a psychologist for depression.

I don't have the money for counselling (I'm a broke student ). Anyway, I need to replace my addiciton to junk food with a positive outlet.

I guess I'm just looking for ideas about fulfilling things I can do to help me kick binge eating to the curb?

Thanks for listening to my rant & thanks in adavnce.

Martie xx
Martie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #2  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I was thinking about this kind of thing yesterday.
My family say that I have an addictive personality; much like you.

I have been, in the past, addicted to food, alcohol, dieting, exercise, pain killers and cigarettes among other things.
(I have never been to the doctor about any of them, I just get other obsessions and addictions)
Food is the main culprit, because after these other addictions I always turn to food!!
I remember 2 years ago I got skinny on the Atkins diet and became obsessed with my weight and went through patterns of disordered eating. I was addicted to the control.
Then food came back into it when I went through a rough time and I was addicted to food (and I was fat) again.

Anyhow, I have been on my diet (well, my lifestyle change) for 7 weeks and I think I have overcome my addiction to food (mainly carbs) by replacing it with another addiction-healthy food and calorie counting.

You are always going to need to replace your addictions with another one. You will probably always be addicted to something (if you're kinda like me anyways!)

Perhaps you'll find that a healthy diet will become your new addiction and you'll enjoy it?

I hope my ramblings make sense...
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Martie11!

I don't know that I'd call you an addictive personality--because true addiction is hard to stop. It sounds more to me like you are a person of extremes--that is, you go like heck on something (like your running) and then burn out, as you said, and don't do it at all. So, maybe it would be good to try a middle path--moderation. What would happen if you started running again, but only ran, say, 5 miles three or four days a week? That would be good exercise and it would not be extreme.

Also, it does sound like you may be depressed (although not seriously so). Does your school have a counseling service? That might help. It's not uncommon for people to feel some loss of motivation at certain times, such as after graduating and being in a new school situation. Are you interested in what you're studying? Do you have an area in which you'd like to find employment later?

Anyway, 35 pounds gained in a short time isn't good--so you need to curb those sugary carb-y snacks. Try to substitute better foods for snacking--like vegetables and fresh fruits.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I always thought that I was "addicted" to the food. And maybe I was. Maybe I always will be.

IF I was/am addicted to food I have learned to manage and control it. It's still a struggle at times and I have no doubt it always will be. And I think I may have switched that addiction around and made it a positive. I obsess about my food more now then before when I was binging every single day. I've just made it about "healthy" foods now in healthy sized portions. So, I've gotten into the health aspects of food and of course therefore added exercise into the mix.

I know for me, I am finding that I am way more "addicted" to the weightloss and all the wonderful things it has brought about for me, then I ever was addicted to the food. This is surely one "addiction" I never, ever want to "beat".
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #5  

I agree with Jayell about the extreme-type personality. I have a similar personality (IMHO, I think many people who struggle with their weight have this type of personality). It has taken me years (I'm currently 39) to start to do things moderately. For example, just about a month ago, I started exercising again after a long hiatus. Well, the old me would have gone all out and committed to exercise 6 days a week, an hour each time (I'm not saying that's obsessive, but for me it is). I forced myself to commit to only 3 days a week, 30 minutes each time. Now, I'm up to 4 days a week, 45 minutes each time. The thing is, when I go all out with something, I burn out quickly. The good thing is that I know this about myself now and can regulate my behavior. You can, too.

Make small changes instead of trying to jump into things. Doing thing moderately takes practice for people like us.

As for counseling, the school counselor is a good idea (as Jayell suggested). Also, many counselors will agree to work with you on a sliding scale (i.e., you pay what you can), so you might want to try that.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/165/150

Height: 5'9"

Thank-you all so much for your support so far. What you have said is really helpful. I agree- I am a person of extremes; and in efforts to lose weight over the last year I have gone out too hard too soon and ended up crashing out.

An 'addiction' (or maybe dedication) to a healthy lifestyle sounds like the best way to go, just getting to that point is my challenge.

Thanks onec agin for your input.
Martie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Maybe you could find a sport to get involved in. Sounds like you need something to look forward to that will keep you from sitting around eating. Maybe you could find a soccer team in your area to sign up for. Lots of practice meetings, lots of games to go play in...I don't know...just a thought.

I have a simple addictive personality. I don't get addicted to foods, alcohol or cigeretts (although i did use to smoke), I get addicted to people (boyfriends). It's awful. Something I am working on now. If watching what you eat is an addiction, it's one i'll gladly keep. By logging everything i eat, i am sure to not let myself gain weight. I feel so much more confident and healthier getting trimer and fitter and i don't want to backslide on that.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #8  
Feeling better every day.

S/C/G: SW: 230 CW: 200 GW: 160ish

Height: 5'5"

Well I don't think that I have an addictive personality, but my fiance definately does. He is a recovering crack addict (2 1/2 yrs clean yay!), but since he quit the drugs video games have become his new addiction and food. So although I dont' personally know what your going through, I've seen what its like for him and all I can say is take one day at a time. Go for walks, start slow, and don't obsess. You'll probably always have an addictive personality but it's not unmanagable. And I'm sure talking to people here will be helpful. I consider this my therapy! And it's free!!!!
Piiper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I'm that kind of person. I get addicted to one thing for a little (like a certain site or a game), then it'll suddenly get boring, so I change. That goes with diets, too! But I'm trying to keep that away from the diets.

I don't know what to do other than to just keep it away from my eating habits.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote