South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Artichoke recipes? Anyone? Anyone?

I have two cans of artichoke hearts in the cupboard and I forget what I bought them for. Anyone have a tremendous recipe??? The most I've ever done with artichokes is put them on pizza, but I'm trying to stay low on the grains this week.

Thanks!

Kara
Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I don't have a TREMENDOUS recipe, but I've tossed them with marinated chickpeas (chickpeas, onions, whatever else with a homemade vinegar and oil dressing) and enjoyed them.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Oooo, Betsy, that sounds good. Did you heat them up or eat them cold?

Kara
Old 07-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

This sounds like something that would be Ph1. Sounds yummy to me!

Olive Garden Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip

Servings: 12

Ingredients:

8 ounces light cream cheese
14 ounces artichoke hearts, canned, drained, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup cooked spinach
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup romano cheese (you can use all Parmesan if you prefer)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup light mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature. Cream together with mayonnaise, Parmesan, Romano cheese, garlic, basil and garlic salt. Mix well. Add the artichoke hearts and spinach (be careful to drain both of these well), and mix until blended. Store in a container until ready to use. Spray quiche pan with Pam. Pour in dip and top with cheese. Bake at 350 F. for 25 minutes or until the top is browned. Serve with fresh cut veggies, or whole wheat crackers if on Ph2.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Are they the marinated kind or the kind just in water?
If marinated, you can just dump them in a salad cold or another thing is sauteing them in the marinade with some shrimp.

If they are the kind in water, you can add them to just about anything..stir fry with some other veggies, or put them in a sauce on top of fish or chicken etc..pretty versitile little buggers they are.

I made a really good sauce the other day that they would work well with. The recipe is for pork, but you could use fish or even tofu too since you don't eat meat.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I eat it cold, usually on a bed of greens (or, if you're feeling contrary and devil-may-care--a whole wheat pita!). I love marinated chickpeas and usually make a batch per week. Whatever is extra tends to get thrown in, hence the experimentation with the artichokes.

I make a big batch with two cans of chickpeas and just stir them from the bottom when I take some out. They're good right away, but they're GREAT after they have marinated for a couple days. The cookbook that I got the original recipe from said they keep "practically indefinately." I don't know about that, but they've been good at least six days after preparation (they're always gone by that point!).
Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #7  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

if they are packed in water, you can drain them, pat them dry and slice them lengthwise in halves or quarters (make sure they are dry)....then spray with olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper, and grill on the bbq or sear in a pan. they are esp. good served as a mixed grill with grilled red bell pepper and asparagus....makes an attractive plate as well.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

I quarter them and stir fry in their marinade with black olives, chopped red onions, sliced garlic and chopped tomatoes. I mix it up about 50/50 with hot tortellini (you could try ww pasta or baked tofu) and sprinkle just a little shredded parmesan. Mmmm!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Here's one of my family's favorites that I make often! It does have "grain" but quinoa is so nutritious, I thought I'd include it anyway. I hope you give it a try.

Lemon Artichoke Quinoa

2 cups quinoa, rinsed
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 a sweet and 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
2 cans rinsed and squeezed then chopped artichoke hearts (packed in water)
2 T. freshly minced thyme
Salt and pepper, freshly cracked
Optional: 1 tsp. olive or coconut oil to cook the onions in and 1 tsp. to put in the cooking quinoa

In a large pot with a lid, heat the low-sodium vegetable broth.

In a frying pan, cook the onions until they are translucent.

When the broth boils, add the quinoa (and 1 tsp. oil if desired), stirring until it reaches a boil again. Simmer a few minutes, then cover and reduce the heat, allowing it to cook for 6-10 minutes or until desired texture is achieved (We like our tails LONG!). Remove lid, stir and then cover up. After 1 minute, turn off the heat and let sit. Add everything else in and then enjoy!

This tastes good with cooked carrots, celery, garlic, zucchini, kale, spinach, corn, chickpeas, or over a bed of mixed greens, arugula or freshly cut corn. Its also great with a few slivered and toasted almonds.

A tasty alternate is to omit the artichokes and substitute zucchini, use lime juice instead of lemon, use cilantro instead of thyme, add garlic, toasted pumpkin seeds, corn and black beans then finish by topping it off with salsa. YUM! High in protein and fiber!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

That sounds really good! I do have a question - what are the tails?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #11  

This is a summer favorite of mine, sorry but it includes pasta and makes a huge batch!(I eat it all week)
5 cups of tricolor rotini pasta or rotini pasta of choice, cooked and drained
1 box chopped spinach, steamed to tender, drained and squeezed until mostly dry
1 can artichokes, drained and chopped
1 small spanish onion, diced
8oz olive oil based italian salad dressing
8oz red wine vinagrette
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (the powdery kind)
In large bowl, toss pasta and half of each salad dressing together. Add veggies, will have to separate the spinach, and as you toss add the parmesan cheese.

As an alternative, I add sliced black olives, change the cheese to crumbled feta and use a caesar dressing. (I tried Greek dressings but haven't found one I liked)
Enjoy!
Kat
Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
That sounds really good! I do have a question - what are the tails?
It is SO good! When you cook quinoa, little "tails" (sprouts) extend from the grain. It sounds more strange than it looks or tastes.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

Thanks for all the ideas!!! These sound great! Not only will I have no trouble using the two cans in my cupboard, I think I'll have to go get another couple!

Kara
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #14  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Kara, There is a recipe in the original SBD cookbook for baked artichoke hearts--I will try to remember to look up the recipe when I get home! It looked divine.
Closed Thread