Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #1  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Pizza Hut?

When I get together with family, they sometimes order in Pizza Hut ... the pan pizza, not the thin crust.

Anyhow, I always order half of one of the pizzas without cheese to try and save on calories and fat as much as possible.

My question is: The slices on the company's site are listed at 270 calories. Without cheese, though .. how much should I subtract? Or should I just count it as the 270 anyway?

To be honest, I can see the slices being 270 easily without the cheese anyway and am not that trusting of the nutrition information given out by Pizza Hut.
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #2  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Hmmm well first you would probably need to know how much cheese they put on a pizza before cooking. Also do you take the cheese off after the pizza has been cooked? If so you have to take into account that the fat and oil that is produced on baked cheese is gonna get onto if not into the pizza. Also are you getting just a piece cheese pizza no other topping or with toppings? I venture a guess that one slice is more than 270.

**Just called hubby he used to be a manager at Domino's he said they used about a cup of cheese on average per pizza.**
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #3  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Wow, that is great info, thanks!

A cup of cheese. OMG. Well, I did the calculations and it seems it only saves about 35 calories per slice without cheese. So I may as well go ahead and just count it as the whole 270 .....

I do order the pizza without any cheese on half, so it is baked without the cheese. I usually get diced tomato and onion, no meat or anything, so the calories are not that much and the 270 is supposed to be for veggie lovers. But 270 does seem very minimal for a pan pizza slice, with all the oil and cheese .
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Now way is pizza hut pan pizza just 270. I looked up hand tossed at calorie king, i specified pizza hut and for a slice of large cheese pizza it was over 300...and that was hand tossed. I used to work at pizza hut when i was a teen and there is A LOT of oil in that crust...it was literally swimming in it when the pizza went in the oven. Will they not let you order your pizza hand tossed? Why not just get a hand tossed veggies lovers, eat the cheese too (cheese is good protien, if you are not eating the cheese you end up with just carbs basically), but just eat two pieces, then have a large salad on the side. That is what i do...works out fine and stays within my normal cals for dinner.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Pizza Hut's Pan Pizza Cheese is 290 a slice, according to the database I found. But personally, I'd be leery of that with Pizza Hut. Their recipe may say that, but they typically pour huge amounts of oil on their pizza, lots more than most other places (290 is a typical cal count for cheese pizza, but if the franchiser adds a lot more oil to it, it could add hundreds of calories).

It's not something to worry about once in awhile but if a dieter eats at Pizza Hut a few times a week, or even consistently just once a week, it could add up to an inability to lose weight as fast.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

One thing I noted about the calorie count of pizza is that sometimes the online info will say is it 300 (or whatever) per slice out of eight, when the place I got it from only cut it into 6.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #7  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

I get the breadsticks if we eat at pizza hut and just eat one or two of them..180 cals a piece...do they cover those in oil too?
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #8  
We can do it.

Yeah the breadsticks you order are just the pizza dough cut into strips and seasoned. They do put that oil/butter stuff on the bottom. Next time you order some flip them over and look at the bottom.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #9  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Dang it. No more Pizza Hut for me then. That's terribly misleading. Why wouldn't they take that into consideration in their official nutrition info??
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #10  
We can do it.

I noticed Pizza Hut and Taco Bell both use an 3rd party to calculate their nutrition info. They both use Yum.com
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #11  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Yum is the corporate owner of Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's and A&W. It isn't a 3rd party but their owner.

If you are really craving pizza, I highly recommend searching out a local mom & pop that doesn't use a ton of oil in their dough prep. It is still a fairly high calorie item, but way better than the chains.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #12  
julie

S/C/G: 239/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'2

i make my own pizza and it's really easy but since your family is ordering it that probably isn't an option for you.
jaceycat28 is offline   Reply With Quote