Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Default I am so sad

I am so sad, my dog Zack died this past Tuesday morning. He died from a condition where the stomach flips and closes off and the stomach bloats. I have raised dogs for years and never heard of it. He had surgery and made it through but 6 hours later his heart stopped and they could not save him. My world will never be the same without him. He was 7 yrs old and a beautiful hunting dog and my friend.
I am thankful I am in OA as this could have triggered some very bad stuff for me. I know to stay away from overeating, over drinking over anything. I am taking care of myself but there is a huge hole in my heart and in my life.
Bumps... in the road again, hang on, keep moving forward!
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My heart aches for you. I am a dog person, too. I haven't had the same experience as you, but I can imagine how I would feel.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #3  

Unhappy I'm so sorry

Oh Bumps, that is a horrible thing to go through!!

I had to put my 14 year old dog down 3 years ago. He was completely healthy and just started running in circles all day from a quickly growing brain tumour. I was completely devastated for months. My cat was killed by a coyote only 2 months before. I've always been amazingly attached to my pets, as it sounds like you are. Hang in there.

LeAnne
Daylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #4  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Bumps, so sorry about Zack. I know how hard it is when pets die. They are part of the family. My cat, Felicity(Lissy) died a little over 2 mos. ago and there are times when for a moment I forget she's really gone.

Wishing You The Best
Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #5  

I'm so sorry.
(((Hugs)))
I have 3 furbabies of my own & know it's going to be devestating when they are gone.

I've never heard of this condition either. Is it common for certain breeds?
My one dog would eat himself to death if he had the chance...but that's a different type of bloat.
Mabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #6  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Oh, Bumps, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #7  

Height: 5ft 4in

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I too am a dog person. I have a 10 or 12 year old weimeriner (sp?) and a 2 year old wire hair pointer. They both sleep in bed with me and my husband for part of the night. We know that Gus (the older one) is not long for this world and I can't even bear to think of letting him go. Next to my husband and my kids they are my babies. Just reamember that (no matter what your beliefs) he is not in any pain any more. Take it one day at a time, and, as my late mother would say, "this too shall pass."
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for your warm thoughts and wishes. Zack was a Wire Hair Pointer. We think he ate some long grass from our Son's yard and took in so much air trying to swollow it. This twisting of the stomach can happen in any breed but mostly large chested dogs are at risk. My husband and I will be starting a Zack Memorial web site to help inform dog owners that once the stomach swells you have 1 hour to find a vet who can flip the stomach back into position, also we will be beginning a mailing program to vets and trainers. Lastly we will be establishing a fund for owners whose dogs get this condition and can't afford treatment. Surgery is very expensive and we are blessed and others may not be.
Everyday I just want my dog back
Bumps
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #9  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it feels like to lose a pet. My Jazmine was 9 yrs old and she died of Cushings disease. I will tell you that I thought I would never ever get the feeling of despear out of the pit of my stomache after she left me. She took a piece of my heart with her when she left. I just have to keep telling myself that I will see her again one day. You will see your dog one day too....in heaven. Tell yourself that your dog is out of pain and happy with other dogs and spirits who have gone before you.....and most importantly, he is with GOD, waiting for you. Time will help you heal, I promise!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #10  

Hi Sadnfat,
Thanks for your message. Yes I do believe I will see Zack again. I only cry now on the WAY to work so that is an improvment.
It is one week today that we lost him. I still can't believe it he was so beautiful. I will post his website when we get it up and running.
Big Bump in the road today
Bumps.