Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Question Hypothyroid?

Does anyone here have it?

I'm somewhat convinced that I may have it, not just because my weight is ultra stubborn and I often feel boughts of no energy, but because I read somewhere that if you have a consistant temperature below 97.5 (or was it 97.9?) that your thyroid is most likely underactive. My temperature is ALWAYS in the 97's. Every doctor I've had in the past (this 97's temperature thing started around 16 or 17) has thought it to be odd, but just shrugs it off and says "hm, ok" and when I was thin (not naturally so), I doubt hypothyroid even crossed their mind.

I Google searched hypothyroid symptoms and they all seem pretty general - lethargy, weight gain, lack of motivation - that could be depression, sleep deprivation, or any number of things. Is there anything in particular that makes hypothyroid stand out? Or do I just need to get tested and that's it?
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #2  
Meg

I'm hypothyroid -- have been for the past 12 years. I take a daily dose of synthetic thyroid hormone.

My body temp is always low, even when my thyroid is perfectly regulated. I don't think it's a symptom of hypothyroidism necessarily -- many normal people naturally have low body temperatures.

If you think you may have thyroid problems, you're right -- go get tested! It's the only way to know for sure. It's a simple blood test (TSH) and you'll find out in a day or so.

Be cautious about thyroid information on the Internet. There's a lot of MISinformation out there and lists of vague symptoms that could apply to anyone who's overweight, stressed, or depressed (most of us? ) See your doctor to find out for sure one way or the other.

Best of luck to you and be sure to let us know what you find out.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #3  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

I think that most thyroid patients do have a tendency to be cold. And the other symptoms you descriped. After I was diagnosed and started my medicine I was much better for a long time...but then I had kids and my thyroid has not been regulated since.I'm always going in for the blood work. And it is a simple blood test. Get it done, least you'll know.
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

You really just need to get tested to know for sure. As Meg said, the symptoms are fairly general and could apply to lots of people who may or may not be hypothyroid. It's a simple blood test to know for sure, and an easy one pill a day to bring the levels back up.

My body temperature is rarely above 96 degrees - both now and before I was taking synthroid. In the past I was never cold, I was always too warm. Now I get cold very easily, and am almost always wearing a long sleeve jacket, but it's hard to know whether to attribute that to the weight loss or the hypothyroidism.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #5  
Mrs. S.

Default Symptoms

I am 40 years old and have been on medication for my underactive thyroid for 17 years. When I was a teenager, the doctors noted during routine exams that they could palpitate my thyroid. When my symptoms began in earnest in my 20's, I had a visible lump in my neck. I began gaining weight at that time. The lump disappeared after I became regulated on my medications, but unfortunately, the weight has continued to be a struggle!

Susan

180/153/153.4
CHS_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #6  

I am hypothyroid as well. I agree on getting the blood test. You will know in a day or two what the results are and if need be start on meds. I also am cold most of the time...except in the dead of summer! I also have a low normal body temp. I know that my Dr. says its one of the things that they do test for in women "of a certain age"...which I guess 43 fits into!

Good Luck!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/255/200 for now

Height: 5'3"

Hi
I too am hypo mine was discoverd at 19 when I decided to quit bc pills and gained 55pds in 6mths. I can't say anything differant then what has already been said here. Although I have never had a problem with being cold the low temp thing has never effected me.
Get the blood work Take Care and let us know what you find out.
WamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Wait, your thyroid pills made you GAIN weight, WamTam? You'd think the opposite would happen: if you don't produce enough thyroid hormond, you can be given a medication to make up for it and get your levels back to normal... I'd think that would make most people LOSE weight, no?
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #9  

She didn't say her thyroid medication made her gain, she said she went off birth control and gained. Then she was diagnosed.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/163/135

Height: 5'3"

I've been Hypo for 13 years now. Being cold is my biggest symptom. I had the lethargy and unexplained weight gain after baby #4. They (dr's) just chalked it up to me being older, having four kids, and that was why i was gaining weight and tired all the time. A simple blood test a year later found the problem to be my thyroid. I started out on sythroid but found I do better on a natural compounded Thyroid. My body just didn't take to the synthetic well. There are choices, though the synthetics are usually the first to be prescribed. I have a few friends that are on the synthetics and are doing great. Bodies are different.
You CAN lose weight with a Hypothyroid Diagnosis...I find it to just take longer.
Pre-Hypo, I lost weight very quickly...I was younger then too, but it's sticks like molasses to me now!!
KevinsLady81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #11  

Hi...i Was Just Recently Diagnosed And Started Meds About 4 Months Ago...i Havent Had Any Difficutly With Being Cold Or Anything..im Always The Hot One..my Blood Pressure Has And Continues To Be On The Low Side..my Temp Also...i Just Had A Check And Blood Work Done And Everything Is Great..bp Is The Same As Before I Started Meds And Same With Temp...i Hesitated To Go To The Dr Cause I Didnt Think There Was Anything Wrong Withme Just That I Was Fat And Had To Change..it Wasnt Until I Made Food And Exercise Changes In My Life And No Weight Was Coming Off Did I Decide To Go To The Dr....i Say Get It Checked..simple Blood Work...quick Results..a Day Or So...whether You Have It Or Not You Will Have An Answer...good Luck!
Christina S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #12  

There is a related problem, called Wilson's Syndrome where low body temperature is the main symptom they use to diagnose it. My body temperature is consistently low, and I am hypothyroid. It IS a simple blood test to find if you are hypothyroid, but I think it can be more complicated than just underactive. About.com has a very good thyroid information section if you want to read about thyroid problems.

I was diagnosed about six years ago, and I had hoped it would be the answer to my difficulty in losing weight. It wasn't. I still have a terrible time losing. I DO feel better though now that I am on medication.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #13  

I haven't been diagnosed yet but have had half the symptoms then recently got more.

Print out the checklist on about.com or take the quiz.. i had almost all of them checked.. I am always cold, this winter was the worst.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Wilson's syndrome is still a controversial diagnosis. I fit all of the symptoms, but I haven't been able to find a doctor (Illinois and Wisconsin) that put any stock in it. Because my thyroid levels are normal, even though I have antithyroid antibodies, I'm told that my thyroid is "fine"
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #15  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I was diagnosed 5 years ago, I complained to my dr that I kept gaining weight, and I was not a big eater then..lol I counted calories and barely took in 12-1500 per day and was gaining like 5lbs per month, so finally I went in to a different Dr for a Pre-employment physical and they discovered that I have a goiter (enlarged thyroid gland). Started me on Meds, I have been checked yearly since and have had to get bumped up in dosage each year. Plus they just added cytomel this year and it helps a little also. My symptoms are/were:
Cold hands/feet
exessively tired
serious weight gain
memory problems

I was alsso told by the dr that the meds alone will not help you lose the weight that you gained...but you can lose it. It is just real hard.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote