Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #1  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Question Irregualr Periods

Ok, so I am wondering if any of you had any similar issues like me. I got done with my period about 5-6 days ago. I woke up today and had some spotting again. I'm a nurse, the only conclusion I can come up with why this happened is because I've been loosing so much weight my hormones are going crazy too, so some irregularities are expected while loosing weight. Has anyone else had irregular periods while loosing weight too?
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/193/137

Height: 5'2"

I believe my irregular periods are what caused my weight gain! I stopped getting my period regularly and I gained so much weight. This started when I was 15 and has continued through now. I went on the pill to regulate it and it worked for a few months and then I stopped getting it again. Now that I have lost weight I got it. It took me 3 days of being on a diet for me to get my period.
MeGaLiciouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #3  

I notice both ways -- when I lose my periods get screwy for a while at first and then seem to "average out". Also, when I binge and gain rapidly -- they have done the same thing.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

Are you all anywhere near perimenopause? I've had changes in my period with it, like it's shorter, or I'll spot the first day and flow later. They continue to show up every month, however!
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #5  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaussy View Post
Are you all anywhere near perimenopause? I've had changes in my period with it, like it's shorter, or I'll spot the first day and flow later. They continue to show up every month, however!
As for me, I'm 28. I too have light days in the beginning and then flow later. I haven't had a prob with my period until now. So, I'm blaming it on my weight loss and exercise screwing up my hormones.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #6  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Sometimes you can have ovulatory spotting about 2 weeks before your period. Or about a week after your period is over, if you have a "normal" 28 day cycle. (I use the term "normal" very loosely.) If this is the case, it's not a problem, although the change may well be related to weight loss.
I've always been irregular, which is why I've been trying for a baby for nearly 3 yrs with no luck. I haven't noticed a change yet, but I'm hoping with further loss that my periods will regulate themselves.
Hope this helps!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 AM   #7  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I am very concerned about my menstruation. I am 23 and have only had a few periods in my life. I have read that obesity can cause them to be absent, it's one of the things I feel worst about... I want to be a normal woman. 3 months ago I had spotting on and off for a week, then the same thing a month later. Then this month, nothing.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem, I tried to search around the site, but I seem to mostly find people that have problems after losing weight, not before.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #8  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

I have irregular periods. I am always skipping a month or two then I will have a period for up to 45 days straight. I had an ultrasound, bloodwork etc. etc. I was told it was my weight causing it. Funny though I switched Dr.s around that time I was fed up that they were not going to help me with this excessive period issue. I got a new Dr. found out I was hypothyroid got on synthetic meds and I had been having normal periods for last 4 mos. , now TSH has doubled and I have skipped my period. I think its my hormones...they are nuts! I just dont want another 45 day period again ever!
Dont worry you are not alone out there!
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I've been overweight since early elementary school and I have never had regular periods, even when I was just slightly overweight. PCOS is very common and treatable, but I don't have that. Periods can be irregular in overweight women because fat cells store/produce small amounts of estrogen, and when your estrogen and lutenizing hormone are not present in the right amounts, you will not ovulate. If you don't ovulate, you won't have a period, as progesterone is not produced to bring it on.

I have seen doctors for my irregular cycle since I was a teenager, and all just prescribed birth control pills to regulate it. I would encourage anyone having this issue to see a doctor but also try to find the CAUSE, not just treat the symptoms. I think if I had understood the possible causes earlier, and if my doctor had taken it seriously, I may not have such severe infertility issues now.
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #10  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

since ive lost weight my periods are more regular but my periods now only last about 4-5 days they use to be 7-9
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote