Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Are you less hungry in the heat of summer?

It's 100 degrees here today, I don't even hardly feel like eating when it's this hot. I'm at 800 calories for the day before dinner but I'm not hungry for dinner. Wasn't the last few days either. I don't have the best air conditioning so being hot at home is part of it, I work at home (moving next week to fix that).

Any ideas on beat the heat eating? Fruit right?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

I pretty much like to eat all year round But since it's hot at the moment, we've been doing most of our cooking and eating outside. We love to grill fish or meat and top them with fruit salsas and serve them with grilled sweet potatoes or other grilled veggies. A grilled veggie salad with some feta cheese and pine nuts and fresh basil can be the perfect summer dinner. I've been making sangria instead of my usual red wine--that cuts out the calories a bit, actually, because the wine is mixed with soda water and fruit, and plus, it's delicious and refreshing

I think summer is just as much about eating as winter (for me anyway), it's just that lighter foods, cooked and eaten outdoors, seem much more appetizing than heavy meaty stews.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Nothing lessens my appetite - nothing. Heat included. Hey, even internal heat. My appetite is full blown even when I have fever or something. Oh well.

But I suppose I do like lighter fare. Although these past few months, I really don't eat very large, hearty meals. Salads are great this time of year. The bigger the better. The fruit this time of year is also exceptional.

The problem I have with the heat is not that I don't want to eat (how I wish that were the case), but the fact that I find it much more difficult to exericise.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #4  

Heat actually decreases my appetite, too. When it's really hot and humid, the thought of food makes me feel nauseous....unless it's watermelon, that usually sounds good.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

haha, i like to eat no matter what the weather is like, or whatever season it is. the only time in the summer where i eat less is when i'm at the beach with friends. all i want to do is just lay out, play beach volleyball, or go for a swim. or if it's terribly humid, all i want is water, water, and more water!

but with the summer, i definitely do eat "lighter" foods than what i eat/drink in the winter.
kateconfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I can eat no matter what, even when I'm sick, but it's true that I tend to eat less/eat more fruits & veggies when it's very hot. Unfortunately, it also goes the same in the other way--when days get colder, I'm hit with the Hunger O' Doom (like, right now, with our variations of 26-to-18-to-24-to-13 °C from one day to the other... gah).
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

Heat decreases my appetite and I always find dieting much easier in the summer.

I like smoothies for a cool, nutritious summer food!
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #8  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I wonder if part of it is that our bodies crave completely different things at different times of the year? I don't really think I eat less volume of food during the summer, but the food I eat then is certainly lighter than the food I'm eating at the moment...

It's the middle of winter here and I'm looking at some of the recipes and ideas everyone's posting and thinking that they look good and I'm going to make sure I've got all the ingredients on hand to try them. Then I realise that while the recipes look great, it's not what I want at the moment. I want to eat soups and slow cooked casseroles rather than the salads and so forth that I eat during summer.

Just a thought...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #9  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't think that hot weather decreases my appetite, but I do find that I eat much lighter in the spring/summer since so many fruits and veggies are in season. I also find that during the summer with the weather nice it's much easier to busy myself doing other things like gardening, taking the dog to the river, yard work, etc that I suddenly realize that I've worked through snack time and it's lunch time already so I end up with a lower caloric intake for those days. I also find that I get out and moving more often which I find DOES decrease my appetite.

Cheers, Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #10  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

i definitely have less of an appetite when its hot.
I tend to get nauseous when my body temp gets high (and it does so easily) and then all i eat is watery fruit, like melon, and grapes. Or salad.

I very much crave fruit in the summer.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #11  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I didn't notice it before, but since I've been in Israel for the last three weeks, I've lost five pounds without really trying because of the heat - I'm just not as hungry, and the fruits and veggies here are SO good.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/157/25

Height: 5'7''

Yeah I'm never really hungry during the summer days, the problem is at night I'm a food junkie. So I kinda force myself to eat my calories during the day, so I can say "nope already ate" at night.
Leygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That's a good strategy, Leygh. It helps to already be full when that evening snack urge hits.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

I like the idea of making more smoothies, I always forget about them but they are so easy. I've got the book Abs Diet for Women and the author is really into smoothies, make 2-3x the amount and have the same smoothie 2-3 times a day. Sams Club had a deal on berries so I bought various types and I think I'll go back for more and do some serious freezing. Being from Oregon originally of course I love berries! I'll also drink some whey protein drinks, they seem to up my protein at fitday in just a drink too, and are filling. I agree, it's the munchies at night that hit when it cools down when you don't each much all day.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/205/140

Height: 5 ft 5 inch

When its hot you can go out and keep yourself busy, so you don't feel bored. I wish it was hot here. It's been pouring down with rain over the uk for the past three weeks, luckily there havent been any floods in the area where im living.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote