Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #1  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Exclamation Weight Plateau

Ok, so I hit a plateau when I hit 179 and was that weight for several weeks. Do any of you had this happen too? What did you do to overcome the dreaded plateau when you know that you are doing nothing wrong on your diet and are working out too? What I did is I reduced my portions a little and worked out a little more. However, I'm scared that if I hit a Plateau again I'll be working my self like a dog just to keep loosing. I don't want to end up eating almost nothing and working out like crazy!
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

You may need to adjust your calorie count to your new weight. The amount you have to subtract from to lose a pound is based on your weight and activity level, and hey, your weight is 20 lbs less than when you started - yay! Try filling up some of those portions with low-calorie, high-density substitutions so portions will probably stay the same. Fruits and veggies are good for this. Also, you might rev up your workout with a change instead of just "more." When I ran, I loved the long run, but would intersperse hill workouts (up and down repeatedly) and workouts where I'd go fast for a block, then slow for a block, and repeat. Now, I do this on an elliptical by raising and lowering resistance and/or changing speed. If you don't already do strength training, it can rev up your metabolism, too, providing you can do it physically, of course. I'm still not back up to that yet myself.

I'm sure you'll get more great suggestions here. Good luck.
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #3  
Here I go again

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to rev up my workout sessions. Which I have been doing lately. I did 4 miles on the treadmill last night and I think I'll work on the inclines gradually. I did cut down on some food too I think its all portions. Hey, today I am one pound lighter so I am happy!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

>Hey, today I am one pound lighter so I am happy!

Yay, plateau defeated!
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thanks for posting this question ~ I hit a plateau after losing over 73 lbs. Now, I just know that the numbers will have to come down sooner or later, considering my weight. I asked a few friends on here for a sample of their daily menu plans (those that started where I want to get to ~ LOL); and I did notice that their portions are less in a few instances, ie one slice of toast for breakfast verses my two (which is on my plan for my weight).

So, now I can see where I have room to cut back. I think when we have a lot to lose, that after every 50 - 75 lbs or so, we may have to make some adjustments as was stated. While waiting for my upload, I did a few hand-weight exercises; and I also agree that I need to up my activity level as well.

I have also found a few spots where I can do better in my food choices as well. Longevity issues can get to us after awhile, so I am also changing up my menu to prevent boredom and to encourage myself. Anyways ~ CONGRATS on the losses ~ see, you can overcome plateaus with some persistance!!! ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #6  
Here I go again

Rosebud,

Thanks for the encouraging words.

BoopRN