PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/338/199

Height: 5'5"

Question Anyone on Metformin XR?

I took this about a year ago, with no stomach side effects. I'm not sure how or why or when I stopped taking it...just sort of quit gradually for no real reason.

I've put on over 20 pounds in the last year, so I thought it was worth starting it up again. I still had some meds left, that are good through the end of this year. Anyway, I have had diarrhea issues like I did when I took the regular Metformin years ago! And I didn't think that was supposed to happen on the XR...it didn't happen when I was on it last year.

I also take plaquenil for a lupus-type disorder. It has stomach trouble as a side effect, but it's always been minimal. Perhaps my body just can't handle both meds together?

It's just weird to me that I'm sick on the Metformin XR now when I wasn't before...so I thought I'd ask about others' experiences. Thanks!
mamamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5' 7 "

Hi Kari,

I am taking Metformin XR. I have been on it for abut 5 weeks. I had mild stomach issues when I first started it. I started with 500 mg for a week...then 1000 for a week and now I am taking 1500 mg. When I increased to 1500... I was majorly sick! Nausea, diarreah and dizziness. It lasted for about 4 days. Then, it was over. I noticed that if I ate greasy food or meals that were high in carbs... I got sick. So, I adjusted what I ate. And I haven't had any problems. Oh, btw... drinking plenty of water helped with the nausea.

Good luck to you. I hope the sickness passes soon.

Sherry
shae8230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/338/199

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks, Sherri...

I'll keep that in mind about foods triggering it, and maybe cut back to 500mg for a week or two and see if it helps.

Thanks!
mamamuse is offline   Reply With Quote