Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #1  

Default Hello another bf mommy here!

hello my name is kimberly i introduced myself on the 20's board without even noticing this board which would be good for me considering i am breastfeeding and wanting to lose some pounds! anyone have luck doing it while they are breastfeeding? don't you have to eat a certain amount of calories while nursing? just curious .~ Kimberly
momof2prettygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5ft 4in

Welcome!!

I lost 5lbs while nursing 2 years ago by doing Weight Watchers. You do have to have more calories (I think it is something like 500 more a day - maybe someone else can clearify) and with WW they take that into account and allow you to have like 10 more point per day. I would have lost more but I did not stick with it. It was a very good program! Counting calories is good and cheap. Anything you do you just need to be able to stick with it. You have come to the right place for support and advice. Good luck!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #3  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Hello and welcome. Congrats on your newest addition and good for you for breastfeeding!

I started WW right after Christmas (12/27/06) after being horrified seeing my pictures from Christmas. DD was 4.5 months old at that point. WW is a great program. I've not done meetings or pay for it online (you can find all the information readily available on the web).

You do get 10 extra points for nursing, which is equivelant to about 500 calories.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Kimberly! Welcome to the board. I'm nursing my one year old, Avery, and I've been pretty succesful with South Beach. I didn't start on it until after she turned one, though. Before she was one I just tried to exercise and eat by the Food Guide Pyramid's recommendations and I went from about 150 to 130 that way. Then I gained a couple pounds before deciding I really needed to buckle down and get myself lookin' purty for my youngest sister's wedding. I've never really counted calories, but that might be a good place to start if you wanted an idea of how what you're eating is or isn't affecting your weight loss. I have found the website fitday.com to be a great resource for knowing how those calorie counts come together. It's free, which is nice. I'm cheap and I don't like paying for things when I can get them for free!

Hope you'll stick around!

Kara

P.S. Your girls are ADORABLE!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've lost 40 lbs while nursing. Not including the 23 I lost in the first 6 weeks post partum - hey maybe I should include that 63 lbs sounds impressive...

Anyway, yes, you need to eat more than you would eat not nursing - there are a couple different sources that actually calculate it by weight and age (the baby's not yours ) but 500-800 calories is a decent approximation.

I lost most of it rather quickly eating about 2300 calories a day but I exercise a lot.

Last edited by ennay; 07-03-2007 at 10:27 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #6  
mz.e

S/C/G: 170/133/125

Height: 5'5

Hi Kimberly,

Yes, you should eat more because nursing burns more calories however I am not one of those lucky people who found the pounds falling off. I have been on ww since the begining of the year and that helped me lose 13lbs and I have 8 more to go. And you do have 2 pretty girls!! elisa
leekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #7  

DS is 2 months old and I started Body For Life right after my 6 week checkup. I was 237 at that appt and am at 225 after three weeks on the program, eating 1800-2000 (extremely healthy) calories a day. The only cost is the book, which you can usually find on ebay for dirt cheap (I paid a whole dollar for mine, plus $5 shipping). Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #8  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

HI Kimberly! I'm new too!

Have you found what you are going to try?

I'm going to just implement exercise and portion control. I don't feel comfortable doing any strict diet until I know for sure I won't mess with my BF
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote