Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default About exercise

Hey, everyone. I started my walking plan this week! It's hard for me, though it seems silly to admit that, but I really want to stick with this. My legs are killing me today, and I was just wondering what the "rule" on that is. If I am still in pain from the past 2 days of walking, what should I be doing? Walking every other day so they have a rest inbetween, or walking through the pain and muscle tightness? Just wondered what is recommended. Thanks!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #2  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Not an expert here, but I think you need to keep walking through the pain because I think that it works it out if you do that. Maybe go a little slower until you feel better.

Anyway, that's what I did.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
do you stretch before you walk? Sometimes stretching your muscles help, also I have heard that people who exercise in the morning, sometimes have tighter muscles, so stretching is important.
I agree the more you walk the less it will hurt over time. cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #4  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

Listen to your body. Are your legs sore or do you feel like the muscles hurt so bad part of you is wondering if you may have torn or strained something?
If they are just sore, go ahead and go for another walk. I bet you will find that the next day they don't really even hurt. Also, don't forget to stretch really well five minutes into your walk and again when you are finished. Be sure to stretch your upper body and arms as well.
If they hurt like you are afraid you did some damage to them, take a day or three off. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keep up the great work!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Great advice so far! Just my experience - I am perpetually sore because I try to push myself just a little bit harder each day, and I am so proud of that soreness!

And a side note - if you are strength training or want to start, the experts recommend taking a day off in between. So, it's typical to either strength train every other day or to strength train half of your body one day (maybe the top half) and the other half the next. The exception to this is abs exercises, which can be done every day.

Congratulations on earning that sore feeling!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #6  

Hi,

Do not stretch before your walking work out. Muscles should be stretched when they are warm -after a workout, not when they are "cold." To warm up for a walking workout, do some slow walking in place, side steps, etc. When you are done walking, then stretch your quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles.

Congrats on starting your walking program!

Take care,

sherry

Do you need help finding illustrations of stretches? I can search around online for you if you need.
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #7  

The soreness is a good pain, not a scary one. Good though it may be, it HURTS! When I get up after sitting for a while, I look like an old lady! My hubby was making fun of me, the punk! I do not stretch before walking, but I do start out slow at first, pick up the pace in the middle, and then slow down toward the end. I kind of base it on the terrain. At the beginning of the walk, I go uphill. I take that slow to get everything warmed up. Then the ground is mostly even, with little gradual hills, and I try to pick up the pace for that part...then when I get close to the bigger hill on the way back, I slow it down. I am thinking today of slowing the walk down a bit in the middle, so my legs don't spaz out. They just feel so tight when I walk, I feel like I'm waddling or something.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #8  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I feel that way after I go rock climbing. My quads are so sore I waddle around like a little old lady for a day. Getting into and out of a chair is pure torture. But, it's getting progressively better each time I go and yours will too. Your body is adjusting to the new movement and your muscles are working like they haven't before. Keep on walking and soon you'll not be sore at all afterwards!

Good for you for getting out there! Making it out the door is often 90% of the battle for me.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #9  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

I'm about as bad as it gets when it comes for formal exercise. BUT-I make it a point to park as far away as I can, clean the house till I drop, cut the grass until I look like a tomato face and THEN, jump in the pool to cool off those muscles.
I used to be all hunched over-now it's not too bad.
-Jan
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Height: 5'7"

This is a good thread!

I've just recently gotten over a knee injury, which put me on the sidelines for weeks. I want to get back into walking, but, like you, WinterStarzz, I end the day pretty much hobbling, and reaching for the aspirin bottle.

I need to get moving! I'm going to try to walk every day after work, and take it tree-by-tree, fire hydrant by fire hydrant, until I can work up to a mile. Then, I'll move on from there.

And here I thought I was the only one who hobbled around every night. You guys are an inspiration!
Susan
miradoblackwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

This thread really got me to thinking. I have been slacking on the exercise. It's soooo Ridiculous! There is a dog at home who would love to go for a walk!

That's for the reminder and motivation to get out there and move!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #12  

I've found that it helps a lot to stretch out after the walk. Just a few minutes...and I'm fine the next day.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

If it's a good soreness, I wouldn't slack off (tempting as it may be). It's actually worse when you sit for a day!

Some people use supplements like Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate to relieve muscle soreness. I have before but I didn't notice much of a difference.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Yay for motivating threads! I <3 you Winterstarzz! You're so dedicated and reading your posts makes me more dedicated.
Today's our "splurge" day and I do believe I'm going to tell my DH when he gets home that we're walking to the curry house! *giggles*

Butyes, don't ever stretch cold muscles. I usually walk for five or ten inutes, then stop and stretch. Then I finish my walk and stretch again. Stretching feels soooo good after a nice walk.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #15  
Running to Catch Up

S/C/G: 261/ticker/150

I've been under the impression that unless you are told to specifically "stay off" working on a part of your body, that you should work through the pain. Taking a day off in between is a great idea, especially for those muscles of ours that aren't used that often.

I just started back to exercising this past week, and my shoulders are so sore! I took yesterday off and went back into it today. The pain actually started dissapating after I got back into my workout
Minty Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote