Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #1  
Lisa1974

S/C/G: 235

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation Newbie Wanting Some Advice

I have been under a mountain of stress for a while and feel I am finally ready to come out of my shell.I have gained 60 lbs. since 2002.I have read numorous threads on this site and would like to ask.....what is the best diet plan to follow?What are the best exercises?The posts I read in this forum today gave me such hope and helped me understand that I am not the only fat "chick" out here that needs support.
All of the before and afters are amazing and I hope one day mine will be there,too.Thanks in advance!
Lisa1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

, Lisa!

OK, unfortunately there's no one plan that everyone can follow and it works. I'm doing Weight Watchers, other people are counting calories or doing South Beach, or even making up their own plans as they go along. It's about finding the plan that works best for you and, most importantly, that you're going to be able to stick with for the rest of your life - unfortunately, if we go back to our old eating habits, then we're going to regain the weight again and that's the thing that we obviously don't want to happen.

Calorie Counting is probably the easiest thing to do if you don't want to buy any new books or commit to going to meetings. A lot of people will log their calories through a site called Fitday - I don't use it, simply because it's slanted towards North American products, and a lot of what I eat isn't listed there... But as I said, it's about finding what works best for you.

In terms of exercise, it's about finding something you enjoy doing. I've joined a gym and work out there 4 times a week for an hour a time. I also walk lots. Other people have started jogging or bike riding. If you haven't exercised for a long time, then I'd suggest starting off slowly - maybe a 15 minute walk every day, that kind of thing...

Another key is to post here often. That way you're accountable not just to yourself, but to the others around here - the number of times I've felt like completely blowing things and then realising that I'd have to account for it here to the women here so haven't hit the junk food is beyond counting. I'm doing this for me, but the thought of having to confess to a blow out has been a factor at times, if that makes sense.

Good luck. I look forward to learning more about you!
Nicole
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #3  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

As Nicole said, everyone is different and needs to find their own groove. I personally have to work in small steps. I have found if I try to be too radical, I am setting myself up for failure. I try to eat whole, unadulterated foods as much as possible. I am not one to forbid any foods for myself. It always sets me up for a binge. I DO have foods that I don't bring into the house, simply because if they are there I eat them even if I'm not really hungry, but if they're out of sight, they're out of mind. I try to keep the words "bad", "cheating" and the like divorced from food. Food is just food. And all foods are available to me. Some I have problems with stopping when I'm full, so if I want them, I eat them out, in a single serving portion. But I try not to demonize food. I've spent my whole life categorizing food as "good" or "bad", "legal", "cheating" and on and on and on. I'm trying to learn that I am not a bad person based on what I do or do not eat, and that means to quit categorizing food. I'm responsible for what goes into my mouth - the food doesn't make me shove it in, I do that. Sorry to go off on one of my favorite rants. It's just my biggest struggle, to think somehow that the food is what does it to me, rather than what I do with the food. Years of depriving myself of things I love, because of value judgements made on the fuel for my body.

Good luck to you on whatever you choose. Looking forward to getting to know you.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #4  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi Lisa
Welcome to our little slice of heaven!!! Yep-the gals are right-you kinda have to do a little experimenting. For me, counting fat grams/calories work best.
Hopefully you will be able to find your niche.
Best wishes and post often.
-Jan
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I agree with what has already been said. If there was one magic pill we would all have it. There is not. That is why diets are a billion dollar industry. For most of us exercise is definitely part our change in lifestyle. This is not something you can start and then stop when you lose the weight. You will gain it back if you do not change your eating habits. For me this journey has been 99% in my head. The eating part has been easy for me. I have read two great books and read tons of posts here.
The books that changed my life are Superfoods Rx and YOU on a diet.
It worked for me but only you can tell what will work for you.
I count calories if I plateau I change things a little and I start losing again.
Good luck and Welcome.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote