Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #1  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default Soda Detox

As of tomorrow, I'm going on a soda detox. I've been really good about limiting/avoiding sodas but the last few days have been soda, soda, soda! I need to wean myself off them again. It's going to be ****.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Shari

Not sure what you mean by a "soda detox" but I applaud you for trying to wean them out of your system. I used to guzzle the stuff and just decided to stop and did it... so it CAN be done! You will make it! It was one of the smartest things I have ever done. Hang in there!!!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Oh, tough one. I did the same thing a few months ago and haven't gone back to it, so it can be done!! Hang in there!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #4  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

You can do it. I am not and never have been much of a soda drinker but I did drink a lot of sweet tea. And I mean lots. But I gave it up a little over a week ago. I had headaches for a few days but powered through them and now no headaches and I feel much better without all the caffeine and sugar.

If I can do it so can you.

Good Luck.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I used to drink and drink diet coke. I think it was a reason I felt bloated a lot although there aren't calories to worry about. I formed a new semi addiction to a Red Bull or two a day, expensive habit, but I read as healthy as Madonna is this is her addiction as well rather then sodas. I rarely have a diet coke anymore and I feel better without it. At first I drank a lot of sparkling water for the fizz to make up for it. I don't really crave it anymore either and when I drink it I feel unhealthy.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #6  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

I believe Red Bull and other similar drinks are high in caffeine and sugar. Thats what gives you a quick shorter burst of energy.

Just looked it up it has 80mg of caffeine and 5 teaspoons of sugar per 250ml can.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #7  
k8t
k8t

Default Soda substitute

I do not drink soda because I do not like the carbonation, but my daughters were given a taste for it by in-laws who felt I shouldn't be depriving them. For a healthier substitute, I give them sparkling water with SweetLeaf flavored drops in it. (Sweetleaf is a stevia based product.) The drops come in a wide variety of flavors, including Vanilla Creme, Orange, Grape, Lemon, Peppermint, and Root Beer. One bottle is a little expensive, but you only need 5-8 drops to sweeten the entire glass so the bottle lasts forever. Best of all it is calorie free, tastes good, has no artificial junk or preservatives, and satisfies their desire for the treat. Now, they actually like the drops more than commericial soda because they can play with mixing and matching the different flavors.

Hope this helps.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

When I stopped drinking soda I missed the fizz. So I started drinking sparkling mineral water. I don't do it too often anymore though as it got expensive.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
I do not drink soda because I do not like the carbonation, but my daughters were given a taste for it by in-laws who felt I shouldn't be depriving them. For a healthier substitute, I give them sparkling water with SweetLeaf flavored drops in it. (Sweetleaf is a stevia based product.) The drops come in a wide variety of flavors, including Vanilla Creme, Orange, Grape, Lemon, Peppermint, and Root Beer. One bottle is a little expensive, but you only need 5-8 drops to sweeten the entire glass so the bottle lasts forever. Best of all it is calorie free, tastes good, has no artificial junk or preservatives, and satisfies their desire for the treat. Now, they actually like the drops more than commericial soda because they can play with mixing and matching the different flavors.

Hope this helps.
Oooo, that sounds tasty! Where do you buy SweetLeaf? Is it a natural foods store kind of thing?
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #10  
k8t
k8t

I get the Sweetleaf drops from my local health food store. The larger bottles sell for around $15 a piece, but like I said they last a long, long time. Lately they have also been selling a little combo pack in a tin with four flavors in it. Plain drops with no flavoring is available as well so you can add it to tea and such. It would probably be pretty easy to find online.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I just checked, and Sweetleaf is what I use too. I have never tried them in seltzer... great idea though! (For seltzer, I add 1/4 cup of fruit juice). The Sweetleaf drops are good in my lattes which I make at home and save all the calories, artificial sweeteners (unless you count Stevia... not quite sure how I feel about that but it's the only one I use now), sugar, etc. They also have apricot which I have not tried. I have English Toffee, Chocolate Raspberry and Valencia Orange. I haven't seen the combo packs but will look for them! The bottles cost about $14 here but as you say it lasts a long time. I buy mine at Central Market.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #12  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

As others noted, transitioning out of soda is achievable (and I used to be a junkie who would drink at least one can of NON-diet a day... ) -- I've transitioned to diet when I started becoming concerned about my weight, but eventually just didn't have any in the house what so ever -- moving on to drinking tea & coffee. I'll still get the occasional soda when I go out (or the diet as a mixer for well drink) but for the most part, I don't miss it.

I am intrigued now by that Sweetleaf & sparkling water concoction -- will have to give that a look
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #13  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

This SweetLeaf sounds interesting. I'm going to see if they have it in any of the health food stores around here.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/126/117

Height: 5'3

JasonsLea -

How is the detox going? I'm having my last Diet Coke right now. I seriously probably drink at least 60 oz a day. I do think it keeps me craving sweets and makes me just feel bloated. Plus, I feel a little bit like I'm a slave to it. So no more, at least for a week and then I'm going to see how I feel. I'm just going to go for straight water (at least at first) rather than go looking for a sweet substitute.

Good luck!
LeighHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 298/268/150

Height: 5'0"

I was able to find Stevia in one of my local Safeway stores here in Seattle. I'll have to look for Sweetleaf though.
TeresaR is offline   Reply With Quote