South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #1  

Default Checking 'legal' foods again!

Hi everyone. I've come across a few queries, and want to make sure I'm getting a few things right before I go much further.

Chickpeas are on the allowed list, so presumably I can have as much hummous as I like? Also, I'v found falafel mix in the whole food section of Tescos that contains nothing but chickpeas, onion, herbs and spices. I'm right in thinking these would be okay too?

I aslos found some crackers in the gluten/wheat free section that contain:
Maize starch, soya bran, pregelatinised tapioca starch, vegetable fat, mixed herbs (2%), invert sugar, onion powder (1%), salt, raising agents: ammonium bicarbonate; emulsifier: diacetyltartaric acid esters of fatty acids.

Would these be acceptable on P1? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:16 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Chickpeas and falafel are fine but the crackers are not because of the "maize" starch which is cornstarch, the tapioca starch and invert sugar.
Sorry!

Edited to add: Although chick peas are a good carb, eating as much as you want can lead to weight gain and the dreaded intestinal "disturbances".
Old 06-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #3  

So hummus in moderation then. What do you think would count as a good amount? 2-3 servings per week?

Pity about the crackers - really missing something crunchy for the hummus and cheese! Might give those parmesan crisps a go instead.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'd consider 4 T. a serving which is about 100 calories and you certainly could have it daily. It's great on pepper slices, celery and cucumber rounds and you WILL be able to have legal crackers after Phase I.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

If you can get Stacy's simply naked pita chips, they are great when you need something "crunchy". I think a serving is like 14 chips, but I only eat about 7 as they are kind of big.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i have hummus (way more than the suggested 2 tablespoon serving) with baby carrots... and yes it's beans and they are limited 1/3-1/2 cup is a serving although you can have more than one serving per day

also in phase 1 to be honest my goal was busting cravings so i did not worry about amounts till phase 2....

no grains in phase 1 btw and carrots are a phase 2 thing as well.

those crackers don't sound good even for phase 2

go for triscuits or AK-MAK or WASA crackers...
Old 06-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #7  

no idea on the brands, uk chick here. But its good to know about the servings sizes. At night my snack plate is a pickled egg, some gherkins, few tablespoons of hummous and some celery. Really saving the day, as I'm not a pudding person at all.
Closed Thread