Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #1  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

Default Trying to love fish

Hey everyone! I am not a huge fish eater, but I am trying to incorporate more into my diet. I do not like "fishy" fish (fish with a strong fish flavor), but I'm not sure which are milder tasting fish. I do not like salmon, and lately tuna has been bothering me a little.

Any recommendations?
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i love salmon

have you tried tilapia... very mild
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
i love salmon

have you tried tilapia... very mild
Tilapia is a good one, yes. Just had some yesterday for lunch

Orange Roughy is another favorite and it's soooo mild and sweet. Even people I know that don't like fish will eat Orange Roughy. It's a little on the expensive side, but it's worth it.

Tuna and salmon are definitely on the stronger side, as is freshwater perch. Ocean perch isn't quite as fishy as freshwater.

Catfish is another one that, to me, isn't fishy at all. The texture is a little more firm than most fish and it's great baked in a cornmeal breading. Catfish, however, is a little higher in fat and calories than Tilapia and Orange Roughy.

Cod is another mild fish.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If your grocery has an actual person behind the fish counter, they can help alot. In our area most of the fish counters do, but there's one store where the fish guy REALLY knows his stuff, so we usually go there. We had to try a few of the grocery stores in town to find him. (Hubby loves ALL fish, and I don't like "fishy" fish). I like tilapia, orange roughy, cod, ocean perch, and cat fish. My father-in-law fishes alot and he brings us a lot of walleye, bluegill, and crappie (pronounced croppy). I don't know if they are ever available in grocery stores, but they're good too.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #5  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

now see orange roughy to me is fishy...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #6  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I just bought some talapia last night. I've had orange roughy before, and it wasn't too bad. I had whiting recently and liked it, but then I read it was high in cholesterol. Catfish always seems like it would be too fishy.

thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidingtazz View Post
Hey everyone! I am not a huge fish eater, but I am trying to incorporate more into my diet. I do not like "fishy" fish (fish with a strong fish flavor), but I'm not sure which are milder tasting fish. I do not like salmon, and lately tuna has been bothering me a little.

Any recommendations?
My recommendation is to not eat it if you don't like it. Are you trying to force yourself to eat more of it for the EFA's? If so, there are other, very healthy and clean ways to get those into your diet (EFA oil blends, nuts and seeds).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
now see orange roughy to me is fishy...
Really? Odd, I've always found it to be one of the mildest

A fish I had when I was in Florida that I've never seen sold in the midwest anywhere is Grouper. OMG, it was fantastic, I fell instantly in love.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
My recommendation is to not eat it if you don't like it. Are you trying to force yourself to eat more of it for the EFA's? If so, there are other, very healthy and clean ways to get those into your diet (EFA oil blends, nuts and seeds).
I agree with this. I never force myself to eat something I don't like just because it's healthy. If I don't like it then I don't like it, I'm not gonna eat it. People will say, "Oh but you should eat it! It's so full of this or that nutrient!"

I'll find those nutrients somewhere else, thanks.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #10  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Are you trying to force yourself to eat more of it for the EFA's?

What are EFA's?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
What are EFA's?
Essential fatty acids
Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #12  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

Oh, those. Where can you get them besides fish?

Also... does shrimp count? I love shrimp. I've also noticed that many types of fish are high in cholesterol.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I don't think you should force yourself to choke down foods that make you gag, but it pays to be open-minded about foods, even those you may not have liked in the past. There's no need to punish yourself with foods you hate, but trying to find a fish that you DO like, isn't a bad endeavor. You may not find one, but then again you might be surprised.

My sisters have always hated fish, I could take it or leave it, but my husband adores it. When he made fish for all of us, none of us expected to be very impressed. He gave my sisters tiny portions so it wouldn't be wasted if they didn't like it. And they happily went back for more. He's converted me, they however will only eat "David's fish."

Poorly chosen and poorly cooked fish will set anyone off fish. Since moving to Wisconsin from Illinois, I've eaten more fish in four years, than I did in a lifetime in Illinois. Even fish I'd always thought of as "fishy," weren't at all here. David says that tasting "fishy," usually means it's not fresh. I know he takes forever to pick out fish in the grocery store. He won't buy it from the grocery store unless the guy in the fish department will let him smell it. It's almost embarrassing, but I have to say it pays off, as I've not had a bad piece of fish since marrying him.

I've read that your tastebuds change periodically (children are more sensitive to bitter foods for example). I did discover that I love beets, though hated them as a kid. I probably wouldn't have found out, except when I was in my late 20's, my mother stabbed some beets off of a restaurant salad, without asking, and in protesting I had to taste one to prove my point (that I may have wanted to taste it). Since I guess it was unlikely that beets had improved in 15 years, my tastes must have changed. Now if I hadn't liked it, it could easily have been another 15 years before I gave them another shot, because as a kid they literally made me gag.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:

Also... does shrimp count? I love shrimp. I've also noticed that many types of fish are high in cholesterol.
Essential Fatty Acids are available in fish oils, Flax oil, Hemp Seed oil, Borage oil & Starflower oil. The most important Essential Fatty Acids are Omega 3 and Omega 6 both essential components of every cell membrane and of nerve cells. We need them both in our diet in the correct balance.

Omega 6 oils are found in grains, Hemp seed oil & Flax seed oil, most plant-based oils, poultry, and eggs.

Omega 3 oils are found in hemp seed, hemp Seed oil, flaxseed, flaxseed oil, walnuts & in fatty, cold water fish such as salmon, herring , sardines, halibut, bluefish, tuna, and mackerel. Venison and buffalo are also sources of omega-3s.

As far as cholesterol in seafood, here's a little article you may want to read

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html
Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Flaxseeds, walnuts, soybeans, and tofu are good non-fish sources of omega-3fatty acids.

They are in shrimp as well, but shellfish can be high in cholesterol (like you mentioned.)

You can also get a supplement too. I love fish, but I take a supplement as well. Omega-3's help with mood problems, so my doctor had me start taking the oil. You can get non-fish supplements too if the tastes puts you off (made from flax & or seaweed.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote