Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Oatmeal

I hear so many people mentioning oatmeal in their diets that I decided to get some on my last grocery shopping trip. I opted for the Quaker Weight Control instant oatmeal, it's made with whole rolled oats, reduced sugar and lots of fiber and protein. I chose the Banana Bread flavor and man is it delicious!!! What are your favorite flavors?
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I'm really craving a dessert (or dessert for breakfast), I will make a packet of oatmeal (banana nut is also one of my favorites, I also like Maple nut) and will add a scoop of no sugar added low fat ice cream. Mmmm, like cobbler.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #3  
Candcmama

S/C/G: 180/169/120

Height: 5' 3"

I love to make the real (not instant) stuff and add whatever I'm in the mood for that day. It doesn't take long to make and I can add Splenda, a little vanilla, some almonds and cranberries, or chopped apples and cinnamon and walnuts, or blueberries and pecans... mmm, I'm getting hungry!
candcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #4  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

My favorite was the blueberry one, but they just recently discontinued it! So I'm gonna try to incorporate some real or dried blueberries into my oatmeal from now on.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #5  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Chopped apple, cinnamon, dried cranberries and a touch of brown sugar...a bowl full of lovin'! I don't like instant so I just make a big batch in my corckpot and keep it in the fridge. I've been known to eat it for a snack when I was craving sweets. Totally getting hungry now...
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I made crockpot oameal once, unfortunately I didn't have milk so I thought yogurt would be a good substitue. Eww, it was horrible. The yogurt had gotten even more sour, blegh. I need to try it again, because the idea of waking up to a nice warm bowl of real oatmeal sounds good.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #7  

I don't buy the packaged kind b.c. I try to avoid added sugar and/or suralose et. al. I make the 5 min. stovetop kind, add dried or chopped fresh fruit for sweetness (sometimes applesauce). A few chopped walnuts is also tasty! And the 30 min. Scottish oats will keep you full all morning, but remember to make the extra time to cook it (and keep a close eye--they can burn easily).
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

How do you make oatmeal in the crockpot? Also how long will it then keep in the fridge and how do you reheat it? I have never heard of this being done.

Thanks
little pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

My mom's oatmeal: at night put in regular oatmeal, organic, into a bowl. Add seasame seeds, pumpkin seeds and any other nuts you like. Soak it in milk overnight covered. In the am add a little more organic milk. Eat. Enjoy.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #10  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

I have several favorite variations with my oatmeal:

1. Add a couple of teablespoons of canned pumpkinl then add Splenda and cinnamon - tastes like pumpkin pie!
2. Add a packet of sugar-free instant hot chocolate - yum!
3. Add a couple of the French Vanilla Splenda coffee stir-ins.
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #11  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

I love oatmeal, though I don't usually have time in the am for even the regular quick cooking kind. But I found that Quaker's instant packages now have reduced sugar/increased fiber versions with whole oats. I buy the Wildberry flavour and it only has 150 cals per packet with 5g of fiber and 4g protein. I usually add to that fresh chopped fruit and two tbsp of skim milk.

YUM ... I love all oatmeal.
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pony View Post
How do you make oatmeal in the crockpot?
I make oatmeal in my little 1 quart crockpot all the time (I think it's called a crockette. Lol.) I normally make 2 servings (one for me one for DH.) I use steel cut oats and I mix 1/2c oats to 1 1/2c water, plus a pinch of salt. In the morning we divvy it up and put in additions to our preferences. I usually add 1T flax meal, 1/2c blueberries, 1t brown sugar, 1/2t cinnamon, and 1/4c soy milk. Yum!

I'm sure you could do it in larger quantities in a big crockpot. I would think it'd be okay in the fridge for 5-7 days, but you could always freeze some too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #13  

Zenor77, how do you reheat the oatmeal. I've heard of cooking it in a crockpot, but I've never heard of reheating it. I'd love to know how since one of my biggest concerns was wasting oatmeal (my husband won't touch the stuff).
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote