Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default questions about running

okay so i can walk, even powerwalk, with the best of them. i stretch every time i exercise from an awesome dvd so i know i am getting all my areas that need to be stretched and cooled down.

but when i run i am so darned tight for DAYS after! i can't seem to get started on the CT5K because i can't get my legs to move past a painful shuffle after the first time i run. i went out on saturday and did a pretty easy jog/walk on intervals trying to work myself up to it and still today when i walked i was so tight it made me yelp. what am i doing wrong?

i went jogging with a seasoned runner who helped me fix a few flaws of mine but there wasn't anything major going on that would make me this sore. am i that out of shape that i should just walk for another few weeks to build more muscle? i am wanting to add in CT5K in the PM to my regular 2 mile walks in the AM. i need more than 30 minutes of exercise to get my metabolism going.

any suggestions? help! thanks!

cat
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

1. good shoes good shoes good shoes. First and foremost, professionally fitted shoes.

2. start with even less running than week 1 of C25K. I dont know what their week 1 is like but start with SHORT intervals (20-30 seconds) and do no more than 4 in your first workout. At that point if you are still having pain as a followup, STOP do not run until you get stronger and work on stretching.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #3  

Running works muscles differently than walking, even if at first glance they would seem to be the same. I find myself sore after running the first few times after a long layoff. It usually passes after one or two runs as my muscles re-adapt. I seem to recall a week or two of it when I started running the first time. Maybe you are having a similar issue?

Now if my mileage could only pick up as quickly!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #4  

Shoes, shoes, shoes.

Ice the muscles.

Don't work so hard.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #5  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Well my SIL said I was trying to run too fast and that i should slow my pace. I feel better today so I am going to go out tonight for a run and see how I feel. I just hate when my body refuses to do what I want it to do.

I have good shoes but they weren't professionally fitted. Maybe once I get into this more, I will go to the running store in town and have them fit me for a nice pair. Maybe at the 20-30 pound loss mark as a present!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote