Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #1  

Default New to the Diabetic World

My DH has just been told his lab work shows that he is a Typr II Diabetic. A year ago the Dr. told him to cut back on the sweets and he did -- for about two weeks. MEN Now our Dr. wants him to choose low glycemic index foods. We have a list of Good Choices, Moderate Choices and Those to Avoid. Tues. we had a visit with the Diabetic Counselor for our hospital. We are signed up for classes STARTING July 10th. Until then I am on my own with his meals. He hasn't even received his blood monitor yet.

This has been a week of pouting, anger, and denial. This has interrupted our summer travel plans of RVing for four months visiting family, attending two camping events etc etc. I have no problem with the delay as traveling in the fall is much cooler. He finally told me he was mad at the doctor because she wouldn't redo his lab work. His reasoning that the blood sugar was up was due to his candy, Costco Cookie and ice cream eating on a daily basis. Our Dr. told him new lab work after 4 weeks would not show a change. Of course he doesn't believe her.

Anyway: I have been a W W off and on for years so eating sugar free and fat free has been my way of cooking. DH takes blood thinners and is not suppose to have green vegetables which have too much Vit. K that adds to thinning the blood. This makes for real problems trying to get a variety of vegetables in his diet while not using too much Vit. K.

I have read lots and lots of info from the computer, and I'm learning but I can not get DH to read the information. More denial. He's staying away from the things with sugar as he believes if it says 'sugar' in the product that is what he needs to avoid. I know, he has a lot to learn. If I could even just get him to drink more water I would feel like I'm making progress.

We are both retired and in our 70's. Thanks for listening to me vent.

Ann
anninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi ANN . . . . . . and welcome to the not so fun world of diabetes . . . control isn't easy but it is possible and you are very, very right that your DH has a lot to learn . . . and learn he will have to because you cannot do everything for him, although you certainly can help. Sounds like the situation with the blood thinners is not going to make it any easier either. I know I'd be lost without being able to have lots and lots of veggies.

Denial is not unusual in the early stages and that seems to be especially true with men. It's unfortunate you can't get to the DEC (Diabetes Education Centre) until July 10, but in the meantime, you keep on reading as much as you can. Try not to nag him (it never helps much), just leave reading material lying around and hopefully he'll start to pick it up when he thinks you aren't looking.

Are you in Canada by any chance? . . . Although your board name sounds like you are in South Dakota? Reason I ask is because of the reference to the Glycemic Index diet that the doctor has suggested . . . it has not gained as much of a following in the US as it has here in Canada.

Have a good look around the Diabetes Forum and read the information provided in the 'Sticky' threads at the top of the page. Then come over and join us on the monthly chat thread called "Dieting with Diabetes".

Hope you have a good evening, Chickie and remember that we are all here to offer our assistance and support to both you and your husband. Hope to see you again really soon.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #3  

Thank you, Meowee No I'm not in South Dakota, try San Diego.

Last night we were with a group of bridge friends and one gal is a nurse so DH was about to get straighten out on a couple of things he was confesed about. Then today when #1DS called he was supportive as his father in law is a diabetic and has been for some time. DH's brother told him their grandfather was a diabetic and had weighed over 400 lbs. My DH is tall and thin and walks about 2 hours a day. So he has a few things in his favor.

thanks again Ann
Old 06-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oops . . . sorry Ann . . . I wasn't even close . . .

So glad to hear that there are a few other people jumping on the band wagon to get your DH headed in the right direction. So glad to hear he doesn't have to battle the weight problems, too.

Keep fighting the good fight, Chickie . . . Hope to see you later . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #5  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You guys should get a lot of information from the diabetes classes. It's good that they let you both go. But of course, the ultimate responsibility for taking care of the disease is your husband's. You can support him in every way you can, but it is his disease. In the classes, workshops & seminars I've been involved in since I became diabetic (in 1969) that is always one of the first things emphasized to spouses. It's their disease, and they have to be responsible for it. Good luck to you both. Ask a lot of questions of the instructor in your classes, and get all the good you can out of them. It helps in the long run.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Diabetes classes are extremely helpful, although, the first time around for me wasnt so much.

I was the only type 1 diabetic in the class, which was primarily focused on type 2.

My doctor wouldnt admit that he made a whoopsie and sent me to the wrong sessions.

when I finally did get into the right classes, I gained so much out of it. The fact that you're surrounded by others in the same situation helps as well, you get to share tips and tricks!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #7  

Default New to Diabetes

Jeri, I couldn't agree with you more. It is my DH disease and I already told him I will not be the diet police. Too bad I'm the cook in the family at least for the main meal.

Casanda, the trainer that will be teaching the class has Type I. I have been on the computer today and now I have a better understanding of low glycemic index foods. Our Dr. gave us a list but I truly didn't know a lot about them except one group had more starch than another group.

Ann