Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Default weighted squats

I currently squat with dumbells on my shoulders (20 pounds each) this hurts the shoulders and I do not really feel it all that much in my legs or butt. It doesn't feel like I am getting a good enough workout. What should I move up to. I cannot get to the gym (cannnot afford the monthly fee plus child care for 2 toddlers and summer is coming so my oldest 2 will be home). i love working out at home and rarely miss doing it.

My question is what type of equipment should I get the is not all that expensive or bulky? we live in a mini home with 6 people here and my bedroom does doubble duty.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #2  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

A barbell and some weight plates. They are easy to slide under the bed.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

You can get something like an old Army Duffel Bag online or at an Army/Navy surplus store or a smaller gym bag or old back pack. Then go to Home Depot and get a 50lb bag of fine sand for about $3. Get some Ziploc bags and a roll of duct tape.

Fill up the ziploc bags with sand. A quart bag will hold 2lbs with enough room to zip it up and fold it over. Wrap some duct tape around it to make sure it doesn't leak. Throw the filled bags in a large trash bag (again, in case one of the package leaks) and then put the trash bag in the duffel bag/back pack.

This will give you a homemade sandbag that you can deadlift, overhead press, do floor pressses, snatches, and many more exercises. Since you specifically mentioned squats, you can put it on your back (strapped if you like), you can hold on the front of your shoulders and do front squats, you can put it on one shoulder and squat that way which because the weight is on one side will really engage the stabilizing muscles, or you can cradle it in your arms and do zercher squats.

50lbs too heavy for you, remove as many of the 2lb bags as needed. 50lbs not enough, $3 will get you another 50lbs whenever you need it.

It is cheap, versatile, and about a 200lb weight set will sit in one large bag in the closet or in the corner of your room.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #4  
Mel

Hahaha, depalma, you type faster than I do! A giant sandbag was part one of my answer.

With a caution: sandbag training is great! it works a lot more moscle than a "stable" weight. But you need to be very careful to keep your abs strong and to anticipate weight shifts. That's part of the advantage of training with sandbags. Your muscles are constantly readjusting to deal with the shifting weight. It will strengthen your core, but you need it to be strong enough to start with to protect your back.

part two- Use those dumbbells for lunges and step ups. They'll seem pretty heavy doing a hallway of walking lunges and back. Then do the squats once your legs are pre-exhausted. If they bruise your shoulders, drape a towel over your shoulders. or do one legged "stand-ups" holding one of the dumbbells. this is really a one legged box squat. or lightly touch a post for balance and do one legged squats with the dumbbell in the other hand. I find these pretty challenging with less than 20 pounds.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #5  
Dieting Diva

Resistance Bands ! I bought mine at Walmart for under ten dollars.
I know they don't look big and heavy- but I can get sore from using them. They have a little sticky up in the sticky area of this forum and you can find more information there, including a workout and a really good link.
I do leg presses with them and it really works my quads. I am just doing chair squats right now due to knee issues.
The kids can't hurt themselves with the bands and they are really easy to store.
I use my coffee table for bench dips. You can also use a kitchen chair.
I have a bench and will pick up some free weights I found on Craig's list this weekend, but it is for the back porch .
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #6  

Thanks for the help. I would never off thought of using sand. I wonder if my kids would mine me taking theirs?lol
Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #7  

Hi,

What weight are your toddlers ??? One of the other moms at the forum 9 i believe its hikerchick) uses her kids ar weights. She has a 30-er and a 60-er, and reports succes with the former.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #8  

That how I started but my kids don't go for it now.