Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 AM   #1  
+Sarah+

S/C/G: 137/134/115

Height: 4'11

Unhappy need a little advise...

hi everyone...
i'm having a little trouble...
right now i'm going through alot of emotional stress & have lost my appetite. i haven't been eating much at all & i'm still going to the gym. i really hate this, but when i try & eat it is just grossing me out. i know its just the stress & depression but i want to get back to normal. i've had depression for years & about 5 years back, when i got married, i wanted to try & be off meds so i just stopped taking them. well after 3 kids & my depression getting worse after having each one i'm going to finally go in & get on something again. but i have to wait for our insurance to give the ok & don't know what to do... i had an eating problem back in my teens. i was starving myself bad! i'm worried about falling into that again because of the way i'm feeling.. any advise would help...
i just don't know if i should stuff my face anyways & deal with it or if i should just eat when i really need to or feel to (which is hardly)
i'm nursing & i'm worried about losing my milk supply for my baby boy.
i have no energy & i'm starting to not be able to sleep at night too. i have always had a problem with sleep, but now its worse. i have only been getting about 2 hours a night & its not because of the kids, they all sleep through the night...its just my mind in a constant worry state of everything going on.
please help, any advise would be greatly appreciated
spgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

It's a good thing you still feel like going to the gym. Exercise seems to have a positive effect on most people.

Your concern for losing an adequate milk supply is a valid one. Is your baby only on breast milk? If so, you must be watching his weight. Do you go regularly to a doctor for him? I don’t know if it is a concern or not but I would ask about taking anti-depressants while breast-feeding.

For your sake and your baby’s be sure that when you can eat you are choosing only very nutritious foods.

I hope you can start on something quite soon. I find I know when I need to be on anti-depressants and waiting would be hard.

Good luck! Let us know how things are going.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

I think that a Dr will be able to help you with something... But, don't trust the dr completely... Mine gave me effexor, and told me you could take it while pregnant, and that it did NOT cause any weight gain... All good... But, after being on it three years, I gained 80 lbs without changing a thing in my life, even working out more! So, I would not reccomend that.. but... Really look into the drug they prescribe before you go in... Also... Some antidepressants are more expensive than others... You might want to try and find something that is cheaper, and see if it works for you... Mine only costs 20 bucks with my innsurance, and my sister is on a cymbalta, and it costs her 50!! So just make sure you are getting what is good for you! Good luck with everything...
sassycassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #4  

I agree effexor is bad.

Its hard to feel the way you are feeling AND have kids to have to take care of. is there anyone who could take the kids so you could just destress for awhile?

Can you change what is stressing you?
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

ok, just to fill you in, cymbalta, also bad... causes liver damage.. My sister was told to get off of it as soon as possible by her dr... She's only 21, and not a huge drinker, and has only been taking it at the most 6 months, so, if she is having trouble because of it, I can't imagin what would happen to anyone else...
sassycassy is offline   Reply With Quote