Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #1  

Question Just Getting Started (Again)

Hello, I am going to be starting Atkins diet again. This is only the 2nd time that I have done this diet but if it is a diet out there I have tried it. I was wondering if I could get some support. I recently quit my job to stay home with my kids and babysit so it should be easier to fix the things that I need to eat and stay on a schedule. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on staying motivated. I really need help cause when the pounds don't go down I get discouraged and start eating again. I told myself that I was ok with the weight I am not and how I look but I'm not. My husband is 8 years younger then me and I want to be around for a long time for him and my children but at the rate I am going that isn't going to happen. So any help that I could get would be great.

Thank you,
God Bless,

angelsofjoy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!!!

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #3  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi angelsofjoy , welcome to the site! I find posting here every day realy helps keep me on track. The ladies in this group are very nice, helpfull and friendly. We start a new weakly chat every week, so please join us to chat about wieght loss or anything on your mind. I find it so helpfull to talk with people who are working towards the same goal as I am. Good luck to you, you can do it!
Jolene.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #4  

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome. I have done other post and didn't seem to get much response.

Are you doing Atkins? If so how long? How long before you could tell a differece? I know tons of questions. But I really have to lose this weight. My sister recently started LAWL but I can't afford that. I want to succeed this this and I am going to need all the help that I can get.

Karen

Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Karen,

I've been on Atkins for 3 years & 2 months. I've lost 102 lbs, went from wearing a size 3X to a current 8/10. I started to notice the weight loss in about a month.

My advice to you is to never think of this as a diet you can go off of once you reach your goal. For this to work successfully & long term...it MUST be a lifestyle change.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #6  
Hello Friend

I have been on atkins (on and off) since jan07 , I took a month vacation and did't stick to it 100% just maintained for the month. I have also had a few days off, which slowed me down. I have lost 30lbs since starting. I started to notice after the first week or so my clothes were getting looser and I felt less bloated. I have'nt been perfect but it is working. So dont get discouraged if there are some bumps in the road , I'v had plenty. I have also tried a lot of other diet plans without much success, so I am realy happy with this. And ask as many questions as you like.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #7  

Thank you all for helping me. Like I said if there is a diet out there I have done it and more. I can't start this diet till after I go to the grocery and that will be tomorrow. I babysit for a living and have a house full of kids all day. I did try Atkins a few month ago and lost about 10 pounds in 2 weeks then Easter came and all the candy and that was all she wrote. I kept telling myself I was happy with the way that I look but I was just lying to myself. I am going to need help cause I know that I will want to cheat and not stick to it. Will power isn't one of my better things. So all the help that you all can give would be great.

Karen

Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #8  
Hello Friend

One of the best things I'v learned since joining here Is not to be so hard on myself when I slip up, it happens, its not a big deal and I need to get over it and move on. I ate chocolate at easter also, but I got back on track. Before I would have told myself I failed and given up. I'v slipped up many times and it has maybe slowed me down a little, but in the long run it's realy not that bad. I'm on here most days if you need support and incouragement. I'm sure you will be successful.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Must remember this is a long term effort - one slip - or a day of slips - isn't the "failure" just an off program day. Just start again next meal or next day. You don't have a "day 1" every time - just start back where you left off as long as it wasn't a long time off.

I do a basic low carb - not necessarily atkins. some do south beach. Most are in some way doing it their way. You will find your way, and along the path you will find some great pals and incredible support. Pop into the weekly chat for a boost. I do this sometimes when I want to eat, when I get done, I'm strong again and can resist. Also, go read the success stories in the goals areas. Look at those great pics of folks - look for one like yourself. That works good for me too.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #10  

That's such a great way to look at it. I've been good this time around, but in the past I've totally slipped up and then I gave up because I was so hard on myself. Instead, I should have just accepted it as a mistake and went right back onto the diet. Thsi time around I'm trying not to be so hard on myself and I'm feeling that I'm doing much better because of that.
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #11  

Thank you all so much, I can't tell you how much it means to me for you all to be there for me. I am going to the grocery tomorrow night and I am letting my husband know that I am doing this yet again, and this time even though he thinks he is helping I have to not be pushed so hard, if I slip then I slip it isn't going to kill me. I just have to pick up and start again. My son is leaving for Marine Boot Camp on the 24th of June and his graduation will be the end of September. I want to go to his graduation feeling like I am not a big cow and that I can be someone is will be proud of. I would like to lose by then 20 pounds I know that doesn't sound like a lot but to me that is and I know that if I can just keep losing then I will be able to do this. What is the best way to weigh? Everyday, every other day, once a week etc.... I hate to see the scales not move and I can't stand it when they don't makes me feel like giving up.

I have the atkins book, I am going to start rereading it before I go to bed.
Have a blessed day and thank you again so much.

Karen
Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #12  
Hello Friend

I wiegh myself evey morning, but dont let minor up and downs bother me. if I get the same #, 3 days in a row I consider it true. Your wieght can fluctuate day to day without it being a fat gain or loss (just water) Which is one reason some people like to have a weekly weigh in. I think it's just personal preferance.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #13  
Going to ONEderland

I like the way that the Heller's recommend weighing. They say to weigh every day, and to write it down. Don't worry about jumps or dips in the scale, because none of the weights you weigh is your "true" weight. Your weight can fluxuate up and down very easily depending on the time of day, how much food you still have in your body undigested, how much water you've drank, how much salt you've eaten or whatever.

But the way they suggest you weigh is to mark the numbers down every day, and then at the end of the week, to average out what your weight was for the week. Do this again the next week and look for a gradual change downward. Keep doing a "weekly weight average" and consider THAT your "true" weight. If you are doing low carb right, you will see a consistent drop in the scale on a weekly average and you won't be so depressed or elated by day to day fluxuations.

Regarding staying on plan? When I first went on Atkins, I charted my weight loss. I wasn't always consistent, I didn't stay on it constantly, but I did low carb more often than not, took days off from time to time, but tried to mostly stick to plan and I still lost 50 pounds over 8 months. My chart looks like a roller coaster with a lot of hills and valleys, but I kept losing. There will be bumps in the road, when we start becoming so perfectionistic that we give up altogether because of some slips, that is when we start to fail, not when we have a few set backs.

My suggestions to you about staying motivated? Try not to get into an all or nothing mindset. Try to eat mostly natural foods and a wide variety of foods so that you don't get bored. Try and avoid the low carb goodies. Those always seem to make me fail. If you must have something sweet one day, call it a CAD day and keep it to one meal, keep it balanced with protein, and "eat toward" your carbs (and finish the meal within one hour). In other words, let the high carb food be desert, not the meal. Then go back on Atkins the next day. Better to not go there if you can help it, but if you just have to, then keep it in control. There isn't anything worse than just throwing in the towel and giving up.

You can do it. Many before you have.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #14  

All these words of great advise. I just know that with you all helping me and keeping me straight I will be able to do this and not have so much stress keeping me back. I also talked my husband into going on Atkins with me. He isn't big but he isn't the size he was when we got married either. I don't know if it is going to help me or hurt me, cause he doesn't slip up and I know that I will but that is ok things are going to work out.

Thank you again for each of you all helping me. I went and got a notebook to carry with me to keep track of my weight and the food and water that I drink so that I can write it all down. Mainly my weight cause that is the part I want to keep up with.

Have a blessed day,
Karen