Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #1  

Default What are your reasons?

So I was looking back on old threads, and came across boaterswife's old thread on this topic. What are your reasons for sticking with WW? Why do you play the game every day? What is your motivation?

Mine are...

1. I want to get back to a healthy weight now because I know that it is going to be easier now than in 10 or 20 years.
2. I don't want to have to worry about illnesses that come from being overweight.
3. I want to set a good example for my kids.
4. I want to be able to shop in regular size stores.
5. I feel like overeating causes too much stress in my life.

Of course, these are just a few reasons...I could really go on for pages!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My reasons:

I want to look fabulous at 40.

I want to do everything possible to avoid the health problems my parents have.

I want to lead a healthy and active lifestyle now and in the future.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #3  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

I have been fat my whole adult life--I want to see what living life as a "normal" person is like.

Plus, I'm 6 ft tall, it would be great to have people say "are you a model?" instead of "do you play basketball?"
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #4  
I <3 Gaby

S/C/G: 107.6kg/89.8kg/58kg

Height: 5'0

my motivations:

1. To be able to chase my daughter around & keep up with her
2. To be a healthy weight for the first time since i can remember
3. To be able to shop at 'skinny' shops, as opposed to in the 'fat section' of department stores
4. To be healthier when I get pregnant next time, although I was healthy during my pregnancy with Gaby, I was hauling around a LOT of weight..
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Paige, for bringing up that old post....I haven't thought about my reasons for awhile, I've just been going on auto-pilot. Time to re-evaluate! Here are some of my newer reasons:

1. I want my life filled with all types of happiness. Sound crazy? Let me explain. When I started this journey last year, I didn't like ME, wasn't happy with ME. When you aren't happy with yourself, it's almost impossible to be happy with other things in your life. I'm happy MOST of the time now!

2. I want my BMI to be in the NORMAL range. When I started, my BMI was in the extremely obese range, and I was praying that I would be able to lose 20 pounds. Now I won't settle for anything less than my goal.

3. I want to water ski again. I haven't done it in 20 years, but now I know that I can do it if I set my mind to it!

4. I want to run into an old boyfriend (any of them will do) and have their jaw drop open when they see me. Shallow, I know, but hey, this is a wishlist!

5. I want someone to ask me what size I wear, and be able to respond honestly SIZE 6!!!!!

6. I want to live a long, healthy life. I need to get to goal for that to happen.

There are so many more reasons floating around in this brain, but these are a good start. It's hard to believe that I've met most of the reasons from that original list....
Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #6  
I'm lovin my scale

My Reasons to Be Not Fat

1. I don't want to end up like my grandmother. I loved her dearly and she was probably my best friend before she passed, but she was extremely overweight, which, in the end, caused her death.

2. I wanted to be able to shop somewhere other than Lane Bryant, much as I loved their clothes.

3. I was tired of being the fat friend.

4. That clicking sound my knees made.

5. The need to be comfortable in my own skin. I've always been proud of my intellect, I wanted to proud of my body as well.

6. To prove myself wrong, because I thought I didn't have a choice.

7. I continue because I've experienced the alternative and this is much, much better.

8. I wanted to be able to use a normal sized towel.

9. Eventually, I'd like to be married, and want to be "pick uppable" so that I can be carried over the threshold.

Last edited by imsexydamnit; 06-14-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

My reasons for sticking to WW...

I want to live to see my grandkid grow up (my parents did not).

I want to feel better, to be active and enjoy my grandkids.

I want to be off my blood pressure medicine (I off one already).

I want to be able to say, for the first time in my life, " I am not overweight"

I want to be able to shop at any store for clothes that look good and fit me well.

I want my husband and kis to be proud of the way I look.

I want to set an example for my kids.

I want to feel comfortable doing anything I want to do.

I want to become a WW Lifetime Member and a WW Leader.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

To feel good about myself!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #9  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

1. To gain some control.

2. To feel better about how I look.

3. To be able to shop anywhere I want rather than having to find speciality stores or sections.

4. To be as healthy as I possible can be without so many meds.

5. I want to set an example for my grandkids and be able to coach my son while he loses weight.

6. I want to go to theme parks and ride the rides.

7. Not have my day determined by what I will eat and how much will I eat and where will I eat.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #10  
Canada Eh!

S/C/G: 195/moving down/147

Height: 5'7"

I want my kids friends to say that I am "HOT" outloud! hahahahahaha... Not that I'm NOT hot right now! I want to feel as HOT on the outside as I am on the inside (and no it doesn't have to do with hot flashes!).

I want to be in shape (not that I'll be an athlete by any means) -- I want to be fit and not overweight or (OH GAWD----- OBESE).

I want to shop in any store that I go to -- instead of the stores where I feel like my mother handed down her clothes.

Of course I want to run into my ex and have his jaw drop (and of course lust after me! ha ha ha)....oh oh!!!and to have men follow me with their eyes when I walk into a room (not bad for an old chick!) -- and NO it is NOT shallow!

To do things that I was scared to do because I thought I was too big!

Oh the list can go on! Thanks for the great post!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #11  

I just read over all these wonderful posts and echo what you all had to say. I don't want to see bulged and flabby body parts in the mirror any longer. I want to see a thin me and a healthy me.
It would be wonderful to bump into an old beau and have them think, "Wow, I should have stuck with her as she looks awesome for her age".
I want to have my husband proud (not that he isn't now, I guess) to introduce me as his wife to people.
I was always the petite one, the "cute" one, in the group. Now, I feel like the dumpy one who is aging and needs to drop a few pounds. No way! I want to be the one that they say things like, my goodness she's how old? You're kidding!
Health, aging, vanity (yup, I admit it) and all that stuff you all wrote.
It's good to touch back upon the reasons for wanting to lose weight and keep it off. Great idea to post this, Paige!!!!!
Linda
Old 06-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 248/228/160

I'm new to the board but I was inspired by this post and wanted to post a response.
I want to lose weight so that I can be there for my kids until they have kids and beyond.
I want to be able to do lots of active things and not always sit them out.
I want to shop for all the cute clothes that are only available in smaller sizes.
I want to look good in my clothes and of course have all the guys think I'm hot!
I definitely want my family to be proud of me.
And I want to be proud of myself and finally have a beautiful family portrait where I look amazing and feel amazing!
Thanks for this post it's really inspired me to think about my reasons and they are important reasons.
Closed Thread