PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Weight Loss with PCOS/IR -- June

Hi everybody, how's June going for you? I'm sorry I was gone for allllll of May. I was swamped at work and spent every available minute planning meals, and exercising...until I got sciatica! Wheeee for me. But it seems to be gone now, so I'll be back on the elliptical in the morning at the gym. I've not been exercising because my leg was dropping out from under me, and I was afraid of breaking a leg. I haven't exercised in 2 weeks.

I lost nothing in May. Nothing! Lack of exercise definitely is the reason. Exercise is the key for us IR's!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #2  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Sorry to hear that May was a such a downer for you. I hope that you had a good workout today!

May wasn't such a great month for me either but I did start on my new meds! Hopefully it will help.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

The workout was FABULOUS. There is such a difference in my mood and my whole sense of wellbeing when I exercise. I did 40 minutes on the bike and 20 on the elliptical.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/269/170

Height: 5'7''

Hi everyone I am new to this site but I am about a month into taking Metformin for Insulin Resistance Syndrome. I was also instructed by my cardiologist to go on a low carb diet. I have even started walking every morning since I am on vacation. I have lost weight but am a little discouraged because it seems to be slow. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

I know just how you feel about slow weight loss. It is indeed very discouraging, and often makes it easy to throw in the towel. The best thin you can do is exercise more. Regardless of what diet plan you follow, the exercise will be the key to weight loss for those of us with IR. You have excess insulin and often a sluggish metabolism, and that means that you and the rest of us have to exercise more than the common population.

Please don't give up. Take it one meal at a time, measure yourself so you can see drops in size when the scale doesn't give you good news, and come back to your support group as often as time allows! Consistency pays off!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #6  
bananaphone

S/C/G: 150/126/120

Height: 5'2.5

I hate Papa John's. I've been gaining, losing and regaining the same pound for the past month because of my inability to resist when my partner suggests that we get pizza. I need an infusion of willpower, stat.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #7  

Jennifer How are the workouts going? Still been able to stay on track with them without pain?

Km Welcome! I hope that you have been able to figure out a plan that will work for you. Low carb can be hard depending on your food preferences. I try to stay lower carb by avoiding things like bread, pasta, and rice but I don't give up fruit and other things. I don't mind eating a hamburger without a bun or a sandwich in a lettuce wrap. But I would mind not being able to eat grapes, bananas, and watermelon.

Subbes: You are sooo close! Don't give in! Now and again, pizza will most likely be something that you will eat but are you eating it several times a month? Keep at it! My guess is that you partner thinks that you look wonderful at the weight you are at and thinks that the gloves are off. Maybe you just need to have a chat and let your partner know that you are still trying to make your goal weight.

Everyone else: How is June going? I can't believe that it is almost over!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stopped taking Yaz. I was getting symptoms of high blood pressure. I didn't get it checked but the symptoms are gone now that I have been off of it for a week or so. It stinks. I was hoping that it might be the help that I need to get the insulin under control. I guess I am just going to have to be more diligent about carbs and exercise.

Have a healthy week!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5' 7 "

Hi everyone,

I was diagnoised with PCOS about 10 years ago. Insulin resistance was never mentioned to me. And Metformin wasn't as popular for PCOS as it is now. Anyway.... in 2004 I managed to lose 40 lbs. To my surprise.... I got pregnant! I had been told that I would never conceive. What do they know?? lol. I now have a 2 year old son. I gained way too much with my pregnancy and haven't lost it. I have actually gained more. I went to a different doctor last month to see if there was anything that could be done for my PCOS symptoms. My doctor gave me Metformin. I have been steadily increasing my dosage for the last month. I am now up to 1500 mg. I have noticed that my excess hair growth has slowed down tremendously! I am so happy about that. I had some nasty s/e after I got to 1500 mg. But, they only lasted a few days. The nausea was the worst. UGH!

I am now trying to lose all of this extra weight. I need to lose 80 lbs. I hope to lose it by July 2008. That gives me a year to do it slowly. I have been pigging out and sitting on my butt for the last year. DUH! No wonder I have gained so much. I have gotten so lazy. But, a good look in the mirror (sans clothes) made me open my eyes and face reality. I AM FAT!!

Anyway... I didn't intend to write a book. lol. I am hoping that a low carb diet and metformin will help me reach my goal.

Sherry
Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #9  

Welcome Sherry! I hope that you can find your groove! Glad that the sideeffects went away quickly for you. Are you going to go up to 2000 mg of met or is your dr stopping at 1500 for right now?

Good Luck to you and just jump on in!

Deb
Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Hi Sherry! I'm glad the side effects of Met have passed on for you. I think that was the most miserable I've ever been in my life. You've got motivation and a game plan, so it looks like you're on the right track!!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #11  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

shae - although you've gained, you at least caught it earlier than some of the rest of us. So, you've got a jump start there. Good luck in your weight loss goals - it's hard work at times, but so worth the results.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5' 7 "

Thanks for the welcome! I feel right at home already.

Deb~ My doctor wants me to stay on 1500 for now. I don't know if he will increase it later or not. I am also on Lipitor for my triglycyrides... way too high. I am going back in July to have more blood work done to check my cholesterol and see how my liver is doing. Lipitor and Met can both affect the liver. I am going to talk to my doctor then about increasing the Met or not.

Jennifer~ I agree the the Met side effects are horrible. I felt like doggy doo for a week or so. I am watching what I eat now. It's strange.. anything that made me sick in the early days of Met... I don't even want to look at. Pizza used to be a huge weakenss for me. I got so sick after eating it that I don't even want to remember how it smells.. lol. So, maybe Met will help me stay away from the junk food.

Jennylou~ I wish I had started trying to lose weight right after my son was born. He is 2 now. I lost some last fall... but gained it back. I just lost my motivation during the holidays. I am reaching down deep this time and trying to find my motivation. I have to get healthy for my son. He is so worth it!

I find that I am not eating as much while taking Met. I will eat part of my meal and feel so bloated and full. That's a good thing for me. I am one of those people who think a clean plate is necessary. And seconds are a given. lol. But, not anymore. I am so glad.

Have a great night!
Sherry
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #13  
saskmommy

S/C/G: 149.8/146.8/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Newby

Good morning everyone. I am new to the group. I was diagnosed with PCOS/Insulin Resistance about 1 year ago. The weight loss has been a huge struggle for me. Initially all I was concerned about was getting pregnant. Well I am happy to say that I managed to achieve that with a little help from fertility drugs. I have managed to get just below my pre pregnancy weight and I have joined weight watchers but I am having a really hard time. Being a new mom I am finding it difficult to find the time to get in all the exercise I can. I do go for a lot of walks but sometimes I feel that, that is not enough. Does anyone have any suggestions. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

How old is your baby? How long did you try before you conceived?

PCOS definitely makes the weightloss harder - but it is possible. Welcome!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #15  
saskmommy

S/C/G: 149.8/146.8/125

Height: 5'1"

My baby is 6 months old. We tried for 2 years. Which in retrospect really isn't that long. I was one of the lucky ones that my doctor figured out the problem right away and the clomid worked on the 3rd try.
Closed Thread