Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Default French Fries vs. Mashed Potatoes

So I'm going to a nice restaurant tomorrow, and looking at the menu, I have a choice between French Fries & Mashed Potatoes for the entree I want.
I am wondering what the best choice is. Of course I am automatically thinking mashed potatoes, but I am wondering if there is THAT much of a difference? Excuse me if this is a silly question, but I tried looking up the info on google and couldn't find any clear cut answers. I am a calorie counter who looks quite closely at fiber and protein, if that helps or makes the answer any different.
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

If I were you, I'd ask for a side of steamed veggies instead. Even if the restaurant doesn't have it posted on their menu, they will probably substitute for you.

Otherwise, it probably depends on the preparation. Obviously, deep fried potatoes have a lot of oil, but there can be a lot of butter or cream in mashed potatoes too. So, either way, I wouldn't have much more than a taste, unless you've budgeted in some significant calories there.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

If you really want the best option, ask them for a veggie substitution. Pretty much all restaurants will do this, even the fancy ones. They know there are a lot of people who prefer that. I do it all the time. They can usually rattle off right away what your veggie choices are.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Third vote for veggie substitution.

They are about the same, and neither is going to do you any favors on calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Okay, that's what I wanted to hear: about the same. Problem is, the entree also comes with sauteed spinach. Hmmm well looking at the menu the following items are listed in the same category (meaning they're the same price and they would probably be happy to switch them out for each other): FRENCH FRIES, ROASTED TOMATO, MASHED POTATOES, YELLOW TURNIPS

I don't know about turnips. Roasted tomato, maybe?
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Go for the turnips, ask if you can have a salad or some other raw veggie in place of the "sauteed spinach" (trust me, it will be loaded with oil!).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would get the sauteed spinach (ask for light oil) and the roasted tomatoes I absolutely adore roasted tomatoes.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #8  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Maybe they could bring you a tomato and lettuce wedge in place of the mashed potatoes?

Another alternative, if there is no low cal veggie available- tell them to put half of the french fries or mashed potatoes on your plate, so it lowers the calories and you won't be tempted to eat them. I've done that before myself, and most waitresses are compliant.

I'm surprised they don't offer baked potatoes. Those are pretty popular in restaurants, and you can control what you put on them.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #9  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

I love turnips....roasted tomato sounds good too....I would sub for the potatoes...it will be easier to relax and enjoy your dinner without the distraction.....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #10  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I don't know what time this is at but it sounds like they dont' have a choice for baked potato (which is rediculous!)....so I would second that you should...

get a salad in place of the sauteed spinach (always a lot of oil and they make a big batch of it so it's not like you can ask them to make JUST yours with a little oil, even then you couldn't trust it) and I would get either the roasted tomato or turnips (YUM!)
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #11  

Default Help settle argument

Dad won't eat mashed potatoes says it takes his sugar too high, but he eats everyone of his fries!!! He doesn't think they are from the same plant. So maybe in the fries they have done something to not raise the sugar level. Oh my gosh crazy
One jenni is offline   Reply With Quote