Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Default When is a routine a rut? Help??

I've been reading conflicting things about when you should vary your workout routine. Some say every two weeks others say after 12 weeks. Any help is definitely appreciated since I'm at a loss.

Thanks.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #2  
Mel

How long have you been training? By varying do you mean changing exercises, order or weight?

Are you doing full body or a split?

I doubt that I've ever done the same workout twice in exactly the same way. That's probably bad advice if you are a beginner.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

The reason there is conflicting information is because the real answer is the ever popular "it depends." Some people's bodies adapt faster than others. Also, as Mel said, an experienced lifter such as herself generally will adapt much quicker and thus has to vary more frequently.

You will know when your body has reached a high level of adaptation because you will stop making progress in many of your lifts. Of course, you dont' want to let it get to that point. When you sense a lift or two stalling, change something.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #4  

Okay, this probably rotten to admit, but I've been doing weight workouts for about four months now. I started with the BFL program (very basic splits: arms, shoulders, back one day, legs the other, with aerobic in between). About six weeks in I got bored with the same exercises, so I bought the Women's Bodybuilding Bible and did the two week interval exercises shown there for about four weeks or so. Now, I've sort of gravitated back to the BFL style.

I am making some gains, but I'm wondering if my "flakey" approach has prevented me from seeing real improvement and if I should just pick one and stick with it.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Well, it could be worse. While you are not seeing a program through to the end, you are at least giving each program 4-6 weeks. This should at least give you some idea of how your body is reacting to that group of workouts.

It is not totally uncommon for beginners to program jump. There are many that change weekly or more. It would be better if you finished a program but I think it is natural to be curious and want to try new things. Use this time of curiosity to carefully log your workouts so that you can figure out what your body responds best to, what you like, and what you need to work on.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #6  

Hi Kylie,

Why rotten to admit ?? Woman, you managed a stretch of consistent weight lifting for 4 months !!! Thatr is good in my book!

I always use being sore as a guidline: If I am still sore from the lifting, I think it is still good. if you can like breeze through the routine, could have done more, and are not a little sore afterwards, you might want to use a bit more weight.

Keep it up!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #7  
Mel

Or if you are bored, change it! There's nothing more likely to kill enthusiasm for lifting than the sheer boredom of doing the same thing over and over.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #8  

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
Hi Kylie,

Why rotten to admit ?? Woman, you managed a stretch of consistent weight lifting for 4 months !!! Thatr is good in my book!
Thanks, Rabbit. I'm really enjoying it, but since I don't have anyone to ask (thank heaven's for this board), I start second guessing myself.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's a good or a bad thing, but I don't get really sore even though I'm trying to go to muscle exhaustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Or if you are bored, change it! There's nothing more likely to kill enthusiasm for lifting than the sheer boredom of doing the same thing over and over.
I completely agree! I just didn't want to give up too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depalma View Post
You will know when your body has reached a high level of adaptation because you will stop making progress in many of your lifts. Of course, you dont' want to let it get to that point. When you sense a lift or two stalling, change something.
Okay, thanks, Depalma, Mel, and Rabbit, I appreciate your advice and encouragement. You're the best!