Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/168.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Does anyone cheat with Veggies?

Confession time: I just cheated with my veggies. I'm on the gold plan and only get 3 veggie exchanges per day. I wanted a nice big salad for lunch, but when I calculated it out, that it would use up all 3 exchanges. I also want some veggies with dinner later tonight, so I made a big salad (a bit more than 1 cup of lettuce, 1/2 a tomatoe, some cucumber and zucchini), but only marked it as "2" exchanges...

Am I asking for trouble doing this? Has anyone else "padded" their veggies? I can't believe that I became overweight by the veggies I eat...
Zaphron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #2  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

Height: 5'6"

Normally it's not the veggies in a salad that make people gain weight - it's everything that is added.
The only way I like a salad is with cheese, meat, dressing and crutons. Well, I added it all up one day - I could eat something I really like/enjoy for the same calories etc. (I'm not a lettuce fan)

I think it'd be okay to fudge a LITTLE on veggies - but not all the time and not 2-3 servings worth. Maybe 1 exchange.

I've only just started LAWL - but from what I know about nutrition there's some veggies that are most always considered "free" (in moderation) by dietitians/nutritionists etc.
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #3  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i don't think that it's gonna be a huge deal to get a few extra veggies in. to be honest, i don't measure out my veggies usually. i know just about what a 1/2 cup or 1 cup is just by looking (but that's because i've been on this plan 3x's now!) but i don't think you'll end up gaining because of too many veggies every now and then. it's the other "stuff" you put on them that makes them high calorie/fat/sodium.
just my 2 cents.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/165/130

Height: 5''

Yep thats the only one I allow myself to cheat on- I love veggies, but I don't but anything on my veggies just raw.
Phoebe6422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #5  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

I was told once by my COD that an extra cup of lettuce, did not fatten anyone up... but, the ultimate goal of this program, is losing weight, and shrinking your stomach... we're suppose to do that by cutting back on all what we eat, including the none-fattening vegetables... I've noticed now, that I get fuller a whole lot faster then before... I used to be able to eat 2-3 plates at my favoraite Chinese buffet, but now, one plate will do me in... My 2 cents are: A bit over the veggie exchange will not hurt you now. But if you start stalling, then you might want to keep an eye out and measure the exact amount...
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueCat View Post
I was told once by my COD that an extra cup of lettuce, did not fatten anyone up... but, the ultimate goal of this program, is losing weight, and shrinking your stomach... we're suppose to do that by cutting back on all what we eat, including the none-fattening vegetables...
I would hope that no one would ever say that something that has 5 calories or less per cup would make you fat!

Do they actually tell you that the goal is to "shrink your stomach"
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #7  

Also, the new plan guidelines that many centers now use show that 3 cups of lettuce = 1V vs. the old guidelines of 1 cup = 1V.
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/168.8/140

Thanks, everyone!

New plan guidelines?? Hmmmm...wonder if there are any other changes that I don't know about...
Zaphron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #9  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i think my book still says 1c lettuce= 1V. hmmm..that sucks.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #10  
Nancy is on the go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
...Do they actually tell you that the goal is to "shrink your stomach"
No- I don't think those were the exact words they used. But it made sense to me, for my waist went from 38 to 30 inches... And it could only happen when your "stomach shrinks" and "fat be gone"... my 2 cents, you don't have to take it...

I heard some COD's have revised guidelines, but mine said the same thing: 1 cup lettuce = 1 V... Though other girls on this site went with the new exchanges, I felt I should stick to what my COD tells me.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueCat View Post
No- I don't think those were the exact words they used. But it made sense to me, for my waist went from 38 to 30 inches... And it could only happen when your "stomach shrinks" and "fat be gone"... my 2 cents, you don't have to take it...
Ah, CONTEXT

I thought you meant to "shrink your stomach" as in your actual STOMACH (an old diet myth), not just belly fat! Naturally, everyone wants to reduce body fat and that is one of the main goals of any weight loss program!

Great job on your weight loss by the way!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #12  
Nancy is on the go again

Thanks--

Sometimes, it's hard to type out what one thinks...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #13  
Start Date Alli 1-4-08

S/C/G: 262/197.5/150

Height: 5'9"

I got my Gold Book last December. It says 3 Cups lettuce = 1 V.

And really - you're not saving much by not eating it. 3 cups shredded lettuce only has 24 calories in it.
RaceGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #14  

I think the difference has to do with franchise vs. corporate centers. My center is a franchise center, and all their materials have 1 cup lettuce = 1V. However, there is one counselor there who stays up with all the latest changes, and she confirmed that it has been changed to 3 cups lettuce = 1V. As the previous poster mentioned, there aren't many calories in lettuce anyway!! Honestly though, 3 cups of lettuce is a lot, and when I was doing WL, I rarely ate that much. It just gave me a pass not to be so anal about measuring my lettuce.
mamato2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #15  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

My COD never bumped us up to 3 cups of lettuce.
When I was in my last few weeks on Gold I started getting really hungry again and they said if you really need to have an extra veg as "no one ever got fat from eating lettuce" but as stated above they really do strive to have you consume the measured portions they allot for. If you find you are facing hunger every day make sure to tell your centre and perhaps they will adjust your food plan. I also used to use a lot of the vegetarian proteins or tuna, shrimp for my servings.. they said if I was finding I was hungry to go for the poultry and meats as they fill you up more.
Good luck!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote