Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/213/150

Height: 5'7

Exclamation shaking in my boots right now

Dh just heard that the storm is headed right for us. He said, he hopes we have a house when its over! this storm sounds like its getting worse and worse by me. its nice out now but this afternoon its suppose to change!

I am going to go get things at the store but I am afraid I will for get something! anyone know a site that has a list of things to have ???

I know batteries and flashlights, a can opener, what else ??

Sorry this is not weight related but like I said I am a little uptight right now. I lived thru 2 when I was a kid and it was terrifying.
6digmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #2  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

WATER!!!! Maybe candles.

don't know what else. Keep us posted. Hope everything will be alright
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #3  

OH gosh ya! DUH

THANKS!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #4  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

Here is a very comprehensive list from our local TV station www.wsbt.com. if you want to read the whole story, you can go to their website and search for 'storm kit'. That's how I found this...

Building a Family Disaster Supply Kit

Emergency management officials strongly recommend that families prepare for any possible disaster, including severe weather, by putting together an emergency supply kit. Ideally, such a kit will provide for all of your basic needs for at least three days. Here is the Federal Emergency Management Agency's list of items you should include (generally listed with the most important items first):

Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
Flashlight and extra batteries
First aid kit
Whistle to signal for help
Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
Local maps
Prescription medications and glasses
Infant formula and diapers
Pet food and extra water for your pet
Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container.
Cash or traveler’s checks and change
Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from www.ready.gov
Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color-safe, or bleaches with added cleaners.
Fire Extinguisher
Matches in a waterproof container
Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
Paper and pencil
Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Food that doesn't require cooling or heating.Canned fruit and canned beans. Van Camps pork and beans are not that bad right out of the can.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Yeah, we're going to be in for it! I'm impressed by your disaster preparedness. Right now the extent of mine is to try and leave work early enough so I'm not diving in a ditch on Highway 18 when a tornado strikes. I heard something about hurricane force winds and hail? Crazy Wisconsin weather.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Also.. Remember to pack any vital medications and financial documents and keep them where they are handy in case you have to evacuate or damage occurs to your house.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #8  
Felicia

S/C/G: 323/TBA/145

Height: 5'6"

When Katrina and Rita came through, we bought an ice chest that connects to the cigarette lighter in your car so that we could keep a few vital things cool. It was a life saver. I just set a timer to go out and crank the car every few hours so it didn't run the battery down.
bayoubelle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #9  

thanks for the list.

lets hope we don't need the kit at all!

got the clothes packed, dh said I am jumping the gun a bit. I don't care to wait until I have to be down stairs to worry about things. Better ready then not.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #10  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

That's the storm that rolled through here last night. Weathermen were talking it up all week.
We got a LOT of rain, thunder & lightning. No damaging winds etc. At least in the Red River Valley (Grand Forks, ND to Fargo, ND - I live between them)

It was on the news though this morning that it's headed your way and is likely to gain strength.

I'm a WIMP when it comes to tornadoes- or possible ones. I freak, so I feel for you. When bad weather comes this way I'm glued to the TV, the weather channel on my phone, or National Weather Service website.
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #11  

I am so nervous I can not begin to explain it. I am trying to keep my cool with my 2 youngest kids here at home.
I took there bike helmets and moved them to the basement so that they can put them on to protect the top of there heads.

Soon as the other daycare kid gets here I am going to get the rest of the stuff on the list.

This is incredible really.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

I have to ask where are you in Wisconsin?
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #13  

I am in Hazel Green , about 1.5 hours from Madison. Schools have let out now because of weather.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #14  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

I just checked out the National Weather Service site for your area - It doesn't sound too bad actually. Those are typical wind speeds for our area :-), we get them quite often. Our house is still standing

I didn't check out your radar - but that's where I go for all my weather info.

This Afternoon: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could be severe, with damaging winds. Partly cloudy, with a high near 89. Breezy, with a south wind between 25 and 28 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely before 1am. Some of the storms could be severe, with damaging winds. Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #15  

they released all the schools early inmy area a few hours early. The Grant county dept. of whatever called all school Supers. and said let kids out now. the town works are called in to go home for the day as well here.

I hope your right about the weather! we are under a tornado watch right now its not suppose to get to my are until starting 2pm , starting to look dark over in Iowa. dh is still working driving around so I hope he is home soon.

I am a worry wart with weather.

I was goin to do TO today but this weather thing had me on edge thought eatting next to nothing would make me nuts. I'll do To tommorow , once this weather thing is over with.