South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb New Product Finds

Hi, Beachies!

I've found a couple of new 'SBD-friendly' products lately that I'm really excited about and wanted to share with you. I've added one of them to the sticky above (and can add the others if you want). If you'd like to add some of your recent finds here, together with a link to the nutritional info, we can add them up above too!

Here are my new finds (with links to nut'l information on the web if it's available):
  • Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal : This is like Rice Krispies, only made with brown rice! It even 'snap, crackle, pops!' I tried making rice krispy treats using this, the SF marshmallows below, and some PB...they weren't sticky enough, but I think I didn't use enough marshmallows. I'll try again and let you know when I get a good recipe. As an aside, these do have barley malt in them, which is a form of sugar, and maltose at that, I believe. But they can't have much, since the sugar gram count is very low. Looks okay to me.
  • La Nouba Low Carb Marshmallows: These do have a ton of artificial sweeteners in them, so they could as a 'sweet treat' and could cause intestinal distress if you eat a gazillion of them in one sitting. But I was SO excited to find premade marshmallows (and at a low price!), that I had to share that excitement with you all! I've nearly finished my second order of these (since I tried making RK treats with a whole bag...). I made homemade hot chocolate every night with cocoa powder and SF syrup and one of these is the perfect addition to my mug! They melt, puff up, and, in general, act like normal marshmallows. Heaven!
  • Drew's All Natural Honey Mustard Dressing: This is the first real 'honey mustard' dressing I've found that has a low sugar count--only 2g!!! I was so excited to find it! I haven't tried it yet and there isn't any nutritional information up online (so I didn't put it in the sticky) but just knowing it exists is exciting! Hope to try it next week and let you know how it tastes.
  • Amy's Bean and Rice Burrito (frozen): For the nutritional information, you'll need to click on the link on the page (it's a pop-up) for 'Nutrional information'--this link leads only to the page of burritos. I get these burritos because they are carried by my grocery store--the tortilla isn't completely whole wheat (it's a mix of whole wheat and wheat flours), but the sugar count is low, the rice is brown, it's yummy and convenient, so... They do make some with whole wheat tortillas, though, and I'm going to ask my grocery store to carry them--I think they might!
  • Amy's Cheese and Pesto Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust (frozen): Like the burrito, this just goes to the pizza page and you have to click on the nut'l info.--the one I buy is the second one from the top. This pizza is SO delicious you'll have to keep yourself strapped to the chair to avoid eating more than the serving size of 1/3 of the pizza! With the pesto sauce, you have good oils and no worry of sugar like with red sauce. The crust seems iffy to me some days--there is wheat flour in it, but there's also whole grain oat flour and the main ingredient is whole wheat flour. What do you all think? I often add some veggies to the top of this...other days I make veggies as a side dish(this is a great pizza for lent!).

What are your new finds? I'd be glad to post them above (or add any of these that you think are appropriate!).
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Just as an addendum, I got an e-mail reply from the folks at Drew's who say their website is new and not all the info is up yet. Here's the nutritional info and ingredients for the Honey Dijon dressing:

Honey Dijon

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Tbls. (15ml)
Servings per Container 24

Amount Per Serving
Calories 70 (Fat Cal. 60)

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g 9%
Saturated Fat 1g 2%
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 105mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 2g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 2g
Protein 0g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%

*% Daily Values Based on a 2,500 Calorie Diet.
Honey Dijon Dressing & 10 Minute Marinade Ingredients:
Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Water, Honey, Dijon Mustard (Water, Mustard Seed, Distilled Corn Vinegar, Sea Salt, White Wine, Turmeric, Spices), Cider Vinegar, Garlic, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, White Pepper.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Great thread, Beachgal!

I use Drew's Honey Mustard dressing regularly, and it's delicious! I use it on salads, but also to marinate salmon and chicken. Drew's Soy Ginger dressing is good, too, and has no sugar and 80 calories per TBSP.

A great product I love is found at Trader Joe's. It's their frozen Organic Brown Rice. It's so convenient to use, it's already cooked and you just have to nuke it for 3 minutes in the microwave and - presto! You get 3 (10oz.)pkgs. in a box.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #4  
Slow and sure chick

Thanks Beachgal! Amy's products are so amazing. They are so clean tasting.

Thanks Cottage! For the tip on organic brown rice. I gotta hit Trader Joes.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Thanks for posting those!!!!

I found one yesterday at a local Farmer's Market, but it may be available at grocery stores (or goumet type stores)

It is Bella Famiglia Artichoke and Hearts of Palm Bruschetta. It is delicious and all legal. I eat a bit for a snack with Stacey's "naked" pita chips. A real treat.
Closed Thread