Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #1  

Default Am i the only one who hates soreness?!?

I've been trying to add weights to my routine. I only have like 45 minutes to exercise and that's including warm up/cool down and stretching. So i'm trying to incorporate weights into this time frame so my weekly schedule looks something like this (or a variation of):

Mon - cardio
Tues - upper body weights
Wed - cardio
Thurs - lower body weights
Frid - cardio

I've just started doing this though. I actually did lower body with weights and stretchie band yesterday morning and i am so sore! I can't hardly move. And i know i'm walking funny. And don't ask me to bend over! I did WATP 4 mile walk this morning for my cardio but it was a sad rendition of it. Of course, once i get started i feel less sore but as soon as i stop or sit for a few minutes i'm stiff and sore again. I work a desk job that requires some getting up ocassionally. I HATE being sore. Am I the only one? Anything i can do to make it better?

Amy
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ibuprophen is your friend

I have a mind trick that might help. I think to myself that if those muscles hurt, they're still using more calories. Not very scientific but it works for me.

It won't always be this way. I'm not sore after every work out any more.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/257/150

Height: 5'10"

Apple Pectin.

Muscle soreness is caused by an accumulation of lactic acid in your muscles. I've always taken Apple Pectin after a workout. It helps break down the acid and flush it out of the system faster.

Give it a shot.
tsinitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #4  
Dieting Diva

I think you might want to concerntrate on warming up a bit before you actually start lifting and make sure that you stretch afterwards. I turn on some music videos and do "Leslie" like walking for five or so minutes before I start my routine workout. You get your blood pumping a little bit and your joints moving and lubricated. The after stretch is just as important.
Here is a link to an explanation of what is happening and another page dealing with what to do about it.
I am a newbie to weights also. I did 200 or so miles of Leslie and then started working with weights and bands. It is discouraging not to be able to move.We never woke up feeling like this doing straight WATP. But you and I are moving onto the next level and with any amount of change something is going to be a bit harder. This is part of the deal.
Pay attention to your form, and make sure you are doing things correctly.You can hurt yourself by using bad form.
You might want to put a rest day in the middle of the week ( instead of the weekends) or use a lesser band or weight.
I feel for you- but mainly I feel my own glutes and quads screaming.

Last edited by sirak; 06-05-2007 at 11:34 AM.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #5  
Mel

Stretching pre-workout is vastly overrated and several studies have shown that it actually increases injuries. No, I don't have citations at hand.

I find that doing a lillte light cardio post workout helps. I also take glutamine daily to help rebuild muscle tissue and decrease soreness.

I like to feel some sorenoess- I don't feel like I did a real workout unless I'm sore. Not being able to walk or bend over or sit down on the you know what is a whole different level, tho!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #6  

Sirak,
Well, by the looks of the "remedies for soreness" part of this website, i'm doing all kinds of wrong. LOL! After my workout, i get into a nice hot shower (since i have to get ready for work). apparently i need to be taking cold showers for the soreness. DUH!

I'm such a beginner!

thanks for all the advice. Hopefully something will work for me.

Amy
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Don't worry Amy, it gets better. I just posted last week about being so sore I couldn't sleep later that nite. Take the ibuprofen. Laughing about the shower too -- in the summers, I actually take a cool shower instead of hot, I just find it so much more refreshing after working out than a hot shower which makes me feel sweatier. But don't let your weight lifting slide - bc it will hurt again once you restart. Best way is just to keep at it. It shouldn't hurt anymore after the first time. WL is GGGREAT for you!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Cold showers after lifting? Yikes!!! Amy, where did you find those 'remedies for soreness'? I can't find them.

On the up-side, I've been basically crippled for about 3 days after I work my legs and no amount of stretching has helped to ease the soreness. All of a sudden, however, that degree of pain has ended and I'm only normally sore after working my legs. Hooray! So it does get better. Just push through it and in a couple of weeks your body will have adjusted to the work.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote