Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #1  
flabbgone87

S/C/G: 197/197/130

Height: 5'3

Default binge- exercising to "make up" for it.

Okay...so I didn't do so well today. Correction. I did everything I was supposed to...but I also ate a spicy chicken crunchwrap supreme from taco bell, coming in at 540 calories.

So, if I workout an "extra" 540 calories 2morrow morning does that "erase" the effects of the food?

(I have a heart rate monitor that tells me calories so it's a decent way of calculating cal burned)

I usually go workout 6 days a week and I would jsut be adding in an "extra" workout to "make up" for that. Does that make sense? Should I do that? Is there a down side in doing that?

I realize that making this a habit isn't a good thing because at some point (like when classes start again) i'm not going to have the time to do this. Plus, overexerting myself on a regular basis can't be a good thing. But doing it this one time....

I need to/want to make up for this...
flabBgone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Do you really consider 540 calories to be a "binge"

If you actually have an eating disorder, exercising to "make up" for overeating is an unwise move.

SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #3  
flabbgone87

S/C/G: 197/197/130

Height: 5'3

Default I think I was misunderstood

No, I do not have an eating disorder.

I haven't been dieting for long....three days in fact.

I probably should not have used the word "binge." But basically, I ate it. And I should not have eaten it. I should have eaten something healthy, becuase yes, I was hungry but there are plenty of better choices that I could have made.

I'm just asking if there is a way to "make up" for my poor choice.
flabBgone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Making up is generally not a wise move, and I know from personal experience, it has a tendency to lead to a pattern of IOUs that can border dangerously close to binge/starve cycle, or be so exasperated by how much calories you owe that you just throw in the towel. Some people may actually be able to do it "just this once" but that's usually the exception, not the rule.

My advice would be start fresh on the next day (with lessons learned from the binge, so you know how to avoid it the next time around). If you have to make it up, spread that out over several days (work out/eat less 100 calories over the next 5 days) so that you don't fall into that cycle.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think everyone has their own way, but I would do as Aqua Warlock says and start fresh tomorrow. Rather than "making up" for it, it may serve you in the long run to figure out why you ate it, so you don't do it next time!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there!

I'm not saying I never eat what I shouldn't--but if I find myself magically at Taco Bell one Taco Supreme is 220 calories and that's all I get, plus a diet drink or water.

I'm with the others--thinking you can make up for overeating with increased exercise isn't a good strategy. Just get back on track for today and do your usual workout.

You can do it! Stay with your plan!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

That piece of advice sounds indeed good. Just resumr 'clean' the day after, and 'compensate' little bits by little bits. We're here for the long run, after all, and part of the deal is to learn better eating and exercise habits, so it may not be a very good thing to try to make up for a brief stray moment by over-exercising. (At least, I figure out it'd be an annoying life if we had to do that systematically...)

'Making up' is of course possible, but I honestly think it has to be done on the long term, worked into one's lifestyle through improved habits and the likes. It seems, how to say it... maybe more promising in terms of success? (Or les doomed to fail?)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree that you don't need to make it up, but before you put something in your mouth, think about how you'll feel. Complex carbohydrates, protein, and natural fats are so invigorating, give you energy, and make your skin radiant, and think about the end result, rather than the temporary pleasure. And if you need to eat out, just make the smartest choices you can and be cognizant of what you're eating. I think learning from your choices is much wiser than making up for something.
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #9  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

If I ever found myself at Taco Bell and I hope that doesn't happen for years from now, but I'll be realistic...I LOVE Taco Bell...the only fast food I ever ate. I have a soft spot for their spicy chicken..

try the spicy chicken soft taco, or even the spicy chicken burrito. The soft taco has less than 200 calories and the burrito has a little more than 200.

One of my managers (with 5 kids) used to tell me he would make his kids all eat a banana or apple before they went so nobody ate too much...so they were not so hungry when they got there. Try that. Then maybe a soft taco will sound like plenty to your tummy?

I'm the kind of person to exercise more to try to burn off those calories. It depends on how your mind works. If exercising more will make you think next time "Man, do I really have time to work out an extra 30 mins today? DO I WANT to do that?" then it might be wise. Somehow it doesn't sound like you would get obsessive about it.

Go with what you feel is right for you.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Mr. Warlock--put the indiscretion behind you and go from there. Don't try to "make up for it."
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I would "make up" for it by cutting back my diet by 100 calories a day for the next 6 days, or working out just a tad more over the next week (maybe jog an extra mile on each of my next several workouts). That makes up for the excess, but not in a really restrictive or stringent way. I think it's fine to do that once in a while ... but stop if it becomes a regular habit.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

you are best off just moving on and not trying to compensate for overeating by either exercising more or eating less.

Trying to "make up" for it just sets you up for unhealthy cycles.

Its over, its done, it happened, move on.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote